Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Changes to Sky Broadband from June 22nd 2009

This is a discussion on Changes to Sky Broadband from June 22nd 2009 within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; [QUOTE=Isitme;218040]Yes, Sky have done to broadband what politicians have done to the country, widened the gap between haves and haves ...

robthemod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nuneaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: SKY World HD+
      Thanks

Re: Changes to Sky Broadband from June 22nd 2009

[QUOTE=Isitme;218040]Yes, Sky have done to broadband what politicians have done to the country, widened the gap between haves and haves nots. Unfortunately, in both cases, most of the 'haves' just say F you Jack, I'm alright.

Fair point here, but it was not my intention to appear 'smug' over what connection I have been given. Far from it. However, I am entitled to be excited about the changes to SKY's broadband network, and the connection speed. However, I am less than a 1km from my local exchange, so am likely to get an 'above average' connection, and I am lucky to receive the performance given.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

@LooieENG
      Any advice for pre-DLM? Should I reboot router so it won't need rebooting while DLM is being run, and should I avoid downloading a lot of stuff?

Also, we're on Max, but on Mysky and on the "view your bill" it says we're on Mid and paying 5/mo o.o
      Don't reboot the router yourself, DLM may interpret this as the line dropping and reduce your speed. DLM will reboot your router itself, at least once a day.

Your stats indicate that you are indeed on Max, it is probably worth calling and getting your account sorted out. You may wake up one day and find your speed has dropped and will have to jump through hoops to get it back up. Phone provisioning or fill in a KANA form, as Support will not be able to help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tridens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eagor
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Hi im on sky mid and have sky calls freetime will i be transferd on to the new network in August or do you need to have line rental as well

Thanks

You need rental to be transferred to the Sky network.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tridens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eagor
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Thanks thats good im with BT

andykate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: crossgates,leeds
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Thanks

on my way to work so i haven't read it all,i got sky line rental,does this mean i cant move to o2 and stay with sky for my phone line rental,????
      is there a chance to stay on the old equipment and go to o2 for bb or does everyone HAVE to move to the new sky equip...???
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

big bob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAR
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I have Sky BB Mid, Talk freetime and the entertainment TV package plus a multiroom lite subscription.

I stated in another post that my average download since February is just over 10GB according to Bandwidth Meter.

So, am i to presume that Sky are going to get on my case for any months i go over 10GB, but say nothing if i am under the limit. If they do enforce the monthly limit and start charging for the extra then it's going to be o2 broadband for me.

Thanks

is there a chance to stay on the old equipment and go to o2 for bb or does everyone HAVE to move to the new sky equip...???
      There seems to be some confusion about this, according to some they have been told by O2 that their line is incompatible already. This should not be the case as Sky have stated that the move to unbundled phone lines will not take place till later in the year. If you are on the full Sky broadband and phone package you have till 1/8/09 to say whether you want to stay on your existing setup. Read what it says in this article -
      Sky Broadband- Making your Sky Broadband and Talk services even better

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

So, am i to presume that Sky are going to get on my case for any months i go over 10GB
      I don't think anyone will know until it is put into practise. At the moment, they do not seem to bother, I have read one case here where a Base user downloaded 30+Gb a month, another on Mid admits to over 100 Gb, with no comeback. Only time will tell. If they stick by their T & Cs they will first advise you then apply a variety of sanctions. -
      Terms & Conditions Sky Broadband - Sky packages

TomD

Useful Utilites

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It doesn't make sense and I don't think SKY have adequately thought this through.

1. If as they claim most of the MID users don't use over 10gb a month - then why impose a cap at such a low level?

2. The possible increase in line speed, by the time other factors have been taken into consideration is hardly significant. Specially at peak times with the contention ratio remaining the same.

So why do it?

Dunno - unless it is an interim change - and come 2010 we'll see 'And feedback from users indicates that they would prefer to pay for an unlimited product, so we're dropping MID....

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast