Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 50 of 77 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by SKYGhost --------------------------------------------------- My upload is quoted after testing at 1.3mb, fact is I'm only getting 0,81mb as ...

LiamMc03 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kneller Hall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

Quote Originally Posted by SKYGhost View Post
      ---------------------------------------------------

My upload is quoted after testing at 1.3mb, fact is I'm only getting 0,81mb as a max on speedtest.net.

Router Stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12287 kbps 1023 kbps
      Line Attenuation 17.5 db 9.2 db
      Noise Margin 18.3 db 8.0 db

Half a km from the exchange.
      Speedtest.net and other speed tests are not as accurate as you think. I believe it can be affected by such alterations as using Wifi and the basic specs of your PC.

2. Advertisement
      Raveologist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norwich City
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

SKYGhost, are you sure the testing is complete? with that attenuation and that much noise margin to spare I would guess that you will get close to the full 20mb?

Also a more accurate test of download/upload speed is to download a monitoring tool like NetMeter and then run online speedtests. Get NetMeter free here -

NetMeter 1.1.3 (stable) released

As previously mentioned make sure you are wired or you will not see full speeds. Also I find speed.io - Internet DSL Speedtest is more reliable than www.speedtest.net.
      Last edited by Raveologist; 09-07-09 at 11:30 AM.
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro : Sync 80000/20000

DodgyDave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wantage
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't come here very often, so have only just got the "good" news in the post from Sky - my usage cap is being reduced from 40Gb to 10Gb. Typical of Sky to dress up totally bad news in a positive way!
      As my usage is probably 30 to 40Gb, I'm wondering what Sky will do? Will they eventually send me a letter telling me I've got to upgrade to Unlimited? If that happens, I will have to give serious consideration, not only to my broadband, but also my TV package. Sky have seduced customers into taking their TV package by using loss leader BB pricing. If that pricing no longer has the edge, they could end up losing a significant number of customers, including me.
      Does anyone from Sky look in at this forum? If so PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!! And I'm speaking both as a customer and shareholder in B Sky B.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you all say you'll leave - and fair enough - but who's really gonna get rid of Sky TV?? there's nothing that compares with it, and this just isn't me saying this cause I work for Sky...couldn't live without it now so regardless of my ISP, Sky'll always have my money when it comes to pay TV...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

iangilf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kent
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

sky tv is ok for certain things like keeping my littlen happy but for me i hardly ever watch it as all there is , is repeats , i like it for when the footballs on thats about it

mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      you all say you'll leave - and fair enough - but who's really gonna get rid of Sky TV?? there's nothing that compares with it, and this just isn't me saying this cause I work for Sky...couldn't live without it now so regardless of my ISP, Sky'll always have my money when it comes to pay TV...
      Yes your right nothing does compare with it for the number of repeats.Or the way they keep changeing the channel names and then repeat the same programes

Mickr

mitchec1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCRAY
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Let's hope Ofcom and if Sky play hardball the OFT sort it out so Sky have sell the premium channels at a regulated wholesale price to other providers and then we'll be able to see how good Sky TV is compared on an even keel to other providers.
      What you know is not a secret

tvsizedoesmatter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid, Sky Talk unlimited, Sky Talk line rental
      Thanks

I had a moan to Sky & this is what they said;

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.

I can confirm that we recently changed the Mid package to the everyday package.

The download and upload speed has increased but the monthly usage has downgraded, I apologise that this is going to affect your broadband usage.

Unfortunately we are unable to change the monthly usage as this is a set GB.

While on our Broadband Everyday Service if you go over your monthly usage allowance we would notify you and advise you to increase your Service if required.

As a guide,10GB usage allowance per month is enough to do all of the following :

Send 6,500 emails
      Surf the web for 300 hours
      Download 300 two minute music videos
      Download 600 music tracks each month
      Being tortured by a mord-sith takes on new meaning

tvsizedoesmatter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid, Sky Talk unlimited, Sky Talk line rental
      Thanks

Yes but Sky's new mantra is to try & get all of us on all their income streams & its been working.

So massive shot in the foot here because broadband in the UK is pretty competitive so why most who ditch broadband & phone are unlikely to ditch TV, some might.

Not only that but its created some bad feelings on the forums & people who might have joined might be thinking twice.
      Being tortured by a mord-sith takes on new meaning

SKYGhost is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Beulah Hill
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

IAmNotTheEnemy:

I doubt I'll leave Sky TV. I think it's excellent and I do like my football. I'd like it better if you got shot of Andy Gray!

On the Broadband front I guess you mean that the package is a great deal and so it makes sense to keep it all... however I want a fast broadband connection and I would be happy to pay Be or another ISP who can deliver.

I was disappointed at what I was getting on moving to Sky as my research indicated I should get more.

What I can say is that with your advice and a little persistence I now have a much better download speed:

All I need now is to work on getting my upload increased somehow!

Basically I didn't just go with the sky package for price; I really wanted a fast connection!

I would suggest that anyone who is unhappy should persevere with the CST.
      Last edited by SKYGhost; 09-07-09 at 11:15 PM.

Page 50 of 77 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast