Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 46 of 77 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Will our broadband still be 10 a month after Jan 2010? Yes as you have Sky Talk, you will pay ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

Will our broadband still be 10 a month after Jan 2010?
      Yes as you have Sky Talk, you will pay the cheaper price. 10 per month.

What is this discount thingy you speak of?
      When the price increase came to light last November, Sky gave certain customers who met the criteria a 5 per month discount, in reality keeping the same pricing structure that they had been paying until January 2010.

Now, those who met the criteria, get a 5 credit added to their bill each month, which will expire in January 2010 and will revert the previously mentioned prices into effect. However, those who don't have Sky Talk already, could take Sky Talk and then continue to pay the lower prices of the 2 lists. Or if they don't take Sky Talk they will pay the new (as at March 2009) increased prices.

I think maybe I have confused the issues here, you may be better reading this thread?

Price Freezes for some Loyal Customers

It lists all the stuff I have outlined.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Yes as you have Sky Talk, you will pay the cheaper price. 10 per month.

When the price increase came to light last November, Sky gave certain customers who met the criteria a 5 per month discount, in reality keeping the same pricing structure that they had been paying until January 2010.

Now, those who met the criteria, get a 5 credit added to their bill each month, which will expire in January 2010 and will revert the previously mentioned prices into effect. However, those who don't have Sky Talk already, could take Sky Talk and then continue to pay the lower prices of the 2 lists. Or if they don't take Sky Talk they will pay the new (as at March 2009) increased prices.

I think maybe I have confused the issues here, you may be better reading this thread?

Price Freezes for some Loyal Customers

It lists all the stuff I have outlined.
      Thanks for the info NewsreadeR.. I just got a bit of a shock initially that there may have been another charge for me even after I'd upgraded Seems I'm ok though

alanjrobertson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yes, sadly this will force many of us onto Sky Talk + Line Rental (no doubt Sky's plan). Under the old system of a year or so ago you could have taken Sky Talk Freetime and therefore been eligible for the 5 cheaper broadband. However due to changes in how the Sky Talk Carrier Pre-Select system (and CPS from many other providers) is implented, you can no longer use 1280 to force a call back to BT. This means that BT will start charging you for 1571 and Called ID (even if you have them free with their 'Privacy at Home' as you need to make 2 calls/month (even just ones within inclusive minutes) to qualify for this to be free).

As you can no longer make calls go back to BT you will be stung for 2.50/mo for CID and 98p/mo for 1571 (41.76/year). You would also be unable to use the inclusive weekend calls you are entitled to on the basic BT package.

If you move to Sky Talk + Line Rental then you'll save 25p/month (11 [Sky Sept 09 prices] vs 11.25 if you pick paperless billing from BT) and get CID and 1571 incuded. You are unfortunately then stuck with Sky for your line rental. As I understand it, at present they allow other CPS providers (such as 18185), but presumably they could block these in the future if they want - something BT aren't allowed to do.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

More than could:

From the Sky Talk T&Cs
      5. Indirect Access Calls

5.1 We may restrict your ability to make calls using a prefix number to access a different telephone provider ("Indirect Access Calls") at any time by giving reasonable notice on our website Sky Talk ? great value phone service from Sky.

5.2 If we allow you to make Indirect Access Calls, these calls may be billed by the service provider you have chosen, and may not appear on your Sky Talk bill. You will have to pay us for any Indirect Access Calls appearing on your Sky Talk bill.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if all indirect access short codes are blocked on their new network, meaning you have to use 0800 numbers (as with Virgin Media). If Sky then wanted to get really awkward they could do what mobile operators do and charge for known access numbers to these numbers. All good reasons for opting out while we can, given Sky Talk's rip off call charges.

All operators will do whatever they can to keep people on their network. That's why BT introduced conditions on 'free' services of making calls through the network to maintain the discount. Even with the BT caller id and 1571 charges, the combined cost of Sky Talk Freetime + Sky broadband is still lower than taking BB on its own. It would surprise me if that situation lasts though. Once Sky get their network established then they will probably make it compulsory to switch to have their service.

MK Hammer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      It all depends if you have Sky Talk or not. The new prices started 1st March 2009 (So there won't be an increase in January 2010 if you have signed up since 1st March 2009)

If you do, the prices are:
      • Base - 0
      • Mid / Everyday - 5
      • Max / Unlimited - 10

If you don't take Sky Talk they are: (However those who are currently getting the discount of 5 per month would then pay the following as from January 2010 unless they take out Sky Talk)
      • Base - 5
      • Mid / Everyday - 10
      • Max / Unlimited - 15

The new prices were effective from 1st March 2009 and those who qualified get a 5 discount credited to their account each month.

Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes
      Thanks NR. I signed up for Sky Talk so that increase will not affect me. As I said in an earlier post, it is all relative to where each individual is at the moment.
      Milton Keynes - City of the Future, Built in the Past

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Line rental on skys new network:-

Once you are on our new network, we plan in the future to introduce some new features including the ability to manage your voicemail on our website. If your services are subsequently moved back to another network, you will lose access to these features. There may also be optional Sky Talk features which are not available on the new network.

Mmmm, I cat decide to stop the switch or not. in all honesty im not really going to stop sky tv so when i just look at calls - i use our mobiles and the broadband is only 5 a month (10 from march 2010) it still makes it pretty good value. I have SKY & orange LLU at my exchange....and you can forget touching orange lol.

I dont really wanna be fixed into sky but at the same time you KNOW they will make it more expensive if they dont switch over the lines......

TOPGUNKC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01843
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So help me out here if you can I am slighty confused now.At the moment I have a BT line rental and sky freetime and Broadband mid/everyday,so going over to the new network does not affect me.But if I wanted to upgrade my BB to Max/Unlimited after August would I be forced to have my line rental with SKY and be put on the new network or can I still keep my BT line rental and sky freetime.

Many thanks in advance.

return2base is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Can someone please explain what this "opt out" is and how I go about doing it ? I've read the last 15 or so pages here but cannot get to grips with it except that it seems to relate to some equipment at the exchange ?

Thanks

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You can still keep your line with BT, that way they cannot put you on their network.

alanjrobertson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TOPGUNKC View Post
      So help me out here if you can I am slighty confused now.At the moment I have a BT line rental and sky freetime and Broadband mid/everyday,so going over to the new network does not affect me.But if I wanted to upgrade my BB to Max/Unlimited after August would I be forced to have my line rental with SKY and be put on the new network or can I still keep my BT line rental and sky freetime.
      No, you're not forced to move your rental to Sky and will be eligible for the reduced price (5 cheaper) broadband pricing available to Sky Talk customers. You will however have to pay BT for 1571 and Caller ID if you wish to have those, as you have no way of getting calls routed via BT's network (see my post a couple of places above in this thread).

Page 46 of 77 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast