Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 45 of 77 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR How often do other ISPs do this? I don't know one that has increased its price ...

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      How often do other ISPs do this?

I don't know one that has increased its price and then taken away 75% of the usage limit, all within less than 5 months.
      Minimum contract terms are common. So are escape clauses if the terms change. Can't recall exact details now but I went through several packages with PlusNet. They didn't force explicit changes in the way Sky are doing now but messed around a lot with traffic shaping and contention ratios, making peak time use on the 'old' packages almost useless on occasions. They also got into fair use policy arguments on their user forums on a regular basis.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spouse View Post
      Minimum contract terms are common. So are escape clauses if the terms change. Can't recall exact details now but I went through several packages with PlusNet. They didn't force explicit changes in the way Sky are doing now but messed around a lot with traffic shaping and contention ratios, making peak time use on the 'old' packages almost useless on occasions. They also got into fair use policy arguments on their user forums on a regular basis.

I left Plusnet about 4 and a half years ago, (in fact its probably longer than that) when they did the dirty on their customers, and put the biggest downloaders on a naughty pipe, and then denied any type of shaping. They would also deny advertising unlimited packages, although that was one of the reasons that I joined Plusnet. Plusnet learnt a huge lesson by that exercise, and eventually apologised years later to their customers.

Plusnet also had legacy packages, so if the spec changed and you didn't know about it your terms etc stayed the same, I actually respect them for that reason.

However, Sky possibly, either don't have the technology to offer legacy products or they just want to get people to upgrade to Max, for imho not policing or differentiating properly the products over the last 3 years or so. Either way they are just repeating what Plusnet did do in the past, alienating their customers, and opening those customer's eyes to different ISP's offerings.

The only reason I am still on Max is because I got the discount per month until January. Once January arrives and my package goes up, I owe absolutely no loyalty to Sky and I will prove it to them.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

MK Hammer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Well it now looks like I have Hobson's Choice and have to stick where I am. O2 and Be are not available on my exchange and Orange is 9.79pm plus contract minus 40 quidco cashback. I would have to change back to BT landline at 10.50pm and would lose all calls free unless I select the 9.79 option. Cheaper to switch to max and less bovver.
      Milton Keynes - City of the Future, Built in the Past

MK Hammer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I left Plusnet about 4 and a half years ago, (in fact its probably longer than that) when they did the dirty on their customers, and put the biggest downloaders on a naughty pipe, and then denied any type of shaping. They would also deny advertising unlimited packages, although that was one of the reasons that I joined Plusnet. Plusnet learnt a huge lesson by that exercise, and eventually apologised years later to their customers.

Plusnet also had legacy packages, so if the spec changed and you didn't know about it your terms etc stayed the same, I actually respect them for that reason.

However, Sky possibly, either don't have the technology to offer legacy products or they just want to get people to upgrade to Max, for imho not policing or differentiating properly the products over the last 3 years or so. Either way they are just repeating what Plusnet did do in the past, alienating their customers, and opening those customer's eyes to different ISP's offerings.

The only reason I am still on Max is because I got the discount per month until January. Once January arrives and my package goes up, I owe absolutely no loyalty to Sky and I will prove it to them.
      I have looked everywhere I cn think of on the site and see no mention of any price increase on 1 Jan. Where does this nugget come from?
      Milton Keynes - City of the Future, Built in the Past

Thanks
      Blog Entries

It all depends if you have Sky Talk or not. The new prices started 1st March 2009 (So there won't be an increase in January 2010 if you have signed up since 1st March 2009)

If you do, the prices are:
      • Base - 0
      • Mid / Everyday - 5
      • Max / Unlimited - 10

If you don't take Sky Talk they are: (However those who are currently getting the discount of 5 per month would then pay the following as from January 2010 unless they take out Sky Talk)
      • Base - 5
      • Mid / Everyday - 10
      • Max / Unlimited - 15

The new prices were effective from 1st March 2009 and those who qualified get a 5 discount credited to their account each month.

Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 04-07-09 at 11:55 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

We already had Sky talk when we upgraded our broadband to unlimited a few days ago, so am I right in thinking we should still only be paying the 10 per month for broadband after January 2010?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Correct

Thanks

Correct
      Phew.. That's good

Thanks
      Blog Entries

The increases would only affect those of us who currently get the 5 discount. Everyone else will be paying the correct amount per month already and no increase would happen.

Thanks

The increases would only affect those of us who currently get the 5 discount. Everyone else will be paying the correct amount per month already and no increase would happen.
      What is this discount thingy you speak of? I just need to be sure. I'll explain...

We've had Sky mid for over a year now (with Sky Talk) then because of these new bandwidth limits I've upgraded our broadband to Unlimited. Will our broadband still be 10 a month after Jan 2010?

Page 45 of 77 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast