Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 44 of 77 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Thanks for that speed check link Just checked mine and it says 24mb! I wish they would hurry up and ...

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

Thanks for that speed check link

Just checked mine and it says 24mb!

I wish they would hurry up and increase my speed.

I am getting very impatient.

dog-man

2. Advertisement
      CyberDrac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gillingham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

OK, so I decided to go to the upgrade page to take me from "Mid" to "Unlimited", but with the changes going on I decided it would be wise to read the small print VERY carefully. This is the result from Sky.com - Sky Products>Broadband>Upgrades ...

"*Sky Broadband: You must subscribe to your chosen Broadband product for 12 months"

... which I interpret to be 'if you upgrade as an existing customer then you'll be entering into another 12 month contract', now obviously this worries me because if I do that does it then exclude me from the 'get out of jail free card before the 1st of August' deal?

This all feels very rushed, and the more I look at it the more likely I am to move to another ISP, if someone from Sky would publicly answer some of the discussion points they may even rescue a few customers, but I don't expect that over the weekend and I suspect that I'll have made my mind up by Monday. I could phone Sky but based on some of the posts across this board I don't think that they are well equipped to answer some of these more subtle points, not their fault, but just a fact of life.

alanjrobertson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

To answer the previous comments about notifying customers - as I mentioned before I don't seem to get the Sky Mag, but they have now written to me separately to outline the changes to package prices and with the leaflet about broadband. Actually much more obvious than just having at as insert with the magazine!

Re. min 12 month contract when you upgrade your line, I wonder if there would be an ability to downgrade if the speed you achieved was nowhere near what they predicted? (e.g. im on B'band Base and they est 10-20Mb when I signed up, as noted in My Sky, if I only got 7-8Mbps when on Max then I think I'd have a reasonable case for trying to go down to Mid).

lordmuggins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NINY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The fact no-one from Sky is even bothering to respond, says it all to be honest. If any company, I don't care who they are, treats me like that, despite being with them for years, I would instantly take my money elsewhere! I don't care if it means paying extra, I simply refuse to be treated like that. I'm giving sky until the end of next week to answer the people who have contacted them from this site, and if they haven't satisfactorily explained, and apologized, I'm out! Sorry guys

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'm giving sky until the end of next week to answer the people who have contacted them from this site,
      We have had a response from Sky, basically confirming the changes, however, it doesn't make it right, and I certainly won't be holding my breath awaiting any further responses on the situation. As for the questions we have asked, they have basically been ignored. (or at least our request to ask those questions has OR The person that I sent the email to, never actually received it)

I just hope someone at Sky sees sense and reverses the ludicrous decision of changing 40GB down to 10GB for Mid users. Although it doesn't affect me in any way shape or form, the changes have really annoyed me. Especially the way it has been done, not least as well because it is totally unfair.

The majority of Mid users may only use less than 10GB per month, but in reality it was Sky who got it wrong, never enforcing the lower usage packages, thus people were downloading more than 40GB a month, and treating it like unlimited (Max) for a fiver a month less. imho Sky have done this to really differentiate between Mid and Max. Of which no customer can be blamed for.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 04-07-09 at 06:03 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      If you mean other than the extra 5 / month then I dont think so - that would be really rubbing salt into the wound.
      Isn't the 5 discount that Sky Talk users currently get due to end in January 2010 ?

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CyberDrac View Post
      "*Sky Broadband: You must subscribe to your chosen Broadband product for 12 months"

... which I interpret to be 'if you upgrade as an existing customer then you'll be entering into another 12 month contract', now obviously this worries me because if I do that does it then exclude me from the 'get out of jail free card before the 1st of August' deal?

This all feels very rushed, and the more I look at it the more likely I am to move to another ISP
      Phrased like that it does sound like they would treat it as a new contract, not a change of package like the TV set up. Worth asking for confirmation, though whether I would believe Customer Services is another matter. I don't see though that you could ask to upgrade now then cancel before August 1st, except under the normal 14 day (?) cooling-off period.

Making this sort of decision isn't as straightforward as it should be, but also bear in mind that if you change to a different ISP they would want you to commit for at least 12 months with them, so what's the difference?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

but also bear in mind that if you change to a different ISP they would want you to commit for at least 12 months with them, so what's the difference?
      How often do other ISPs do this?

I don't know one that has increased its price and then taken away 75% of the usage limit, all within less than 5 months.

Sky would be wise to reconsider, OK this forum is not 100% representative, but there is a lot of bad feeling about this at the moment.

Especially also, when you can get the equivalent of Max (for me anyway) for less than half the price of Max come January 2010 (for those who get it discounted at the moment)

And that's before you could get any cashback from a well known website.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

MK Hammer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youravinalarrrf View Post
      For Mid customers the current deal at O2 is if it's available in your exchange!

O2 is only 7.34 per month if you have an O2 mobile (free sim cards are available) and top it up by 10 per quarter (Every 10 topup = 11 of calls). You can also get 70 cashback through Quidco at the moment.

That's only 58.08 net (or 4.84 per month!) for 12 months unlimited up to 8Mb broadband and that also includes 44.00 worth of mobile calls!

Therefore the O2 Standard Home Broadband package (up to 8MB with unlimited downloads) actually only costs an UNBELIEVABLE 14.08 net for the whole of the first year or 1.17 per month!

Don't forget to take into account that any broadband discount you currently get from Sky also stops on 1st January 2010 and VAT goes back up!

Only 50 cashback on Quidco at the moment (but that still makes it 2.84pm)
      Milton Keynes - City of the Future, Built in the Past

alanjrobertson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Ahh - but that's assuming you can actually sign-up online! For a new order perhaps but I've been trying to do an online upgrade for about a month now without success! It's been 'escalated' within Sky as so far they've confirmed they're having some 'technical problems' with the website! All they could suggest was to do the upgrade via the call centre but I have pointed out I would then miss out on the cashback for online upgrades and have asked if they would consider offering it manually - I doubt it but we will see!

Page 44 of 77 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast