Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 38 of 77 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by harrison.reilly I upgraded to Max/Unlimited because I easily go over 10GB a month on Mid/Everyday. But you ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

Quote Originally Posted by harrison.reilly View Post
      I upgraded to Max/Unlimited because I easily go over 10GB a month on Mid/Everyday.

But you shouldn't have had to though. You are now paying more.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      If you do decide to move ISP's then ensure that it is on an LLU exchange, O2's rebadged BT product is as bad as Sky's Connect.
      That would be because it's exactly the same product from BT...

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lostvalley View Post
      The other thing bothering me about Sky is the constantly moving goal posts. First, you must have Sky Talk, now the Mid package has been significantly changed and don't forget line rental will be 11 pounds from Sept. Isn't BT only 11.25??? Sky doesn't look quite so sweet anymore. What will change next? But then is O2 now doing what Sky did until recently. Confusing isn't it
      That's the nature of the beast, it seems. I was always amazed in the early days of broadband how my friends were happy to pay BT 27 a month for an inferior service when you could get a decent connection elsewhere for less than half the price. Companies like Sky will always try to charge what they can get away with. If they lose some business or goodwill along the way, that doesn't seem to matter. They know that inertia counts for a lot in this game and most people won't move.

I've said before that I don't think this group is indicative of the Sky user base as a whole. Sky have said that Mid is being capped at 10GB because that is what most people use. I have no reason to doubt that. I also think that Max/Unlimited at 10 a month (if you have the TV service) is a really good deal. I opted to pay the extra fiver - I use nowhere near 40GB of data and don't NEED a 20MB connection - if it's there why not use it? If I had gone for Mid instead I would now be ready to cough up the extra cash instead of looking to switch to another provider that will probably hike their prices up in 2 or 3 months because they can. I left PlusNet for Sky - I was paying them 14.99 a month for the equivalent of the Mid package. That is now 11.99 a month. Still more than what I am paying Sky, so I'm reasonably happy for now.

What worries me more than the price increases is the way Sky (and others) try to lock you into specific services like LLU or become a near monopoly with the likes of Sky Sports. I am very wary of LLU because of the complexity of switching, so I am opting out of that while I have the chance. If that means that at some point in the future I can't have Sky broadband then so be it. But for now, I'll stick with what I have because there isn't much better out there for me.

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I have been holding off commenting since this news broke, I am in utter disbelief at Sky for once again trouncing on the loyal customer base. I'm on Mid and would say I easily go over 10GB a month, have 3 Computers & Xbox360 at home and use the Net a lot!

I am a good distance from the exchange so the only "improvement" that will really affect me is the download cap, how is going from 40GB to 10GB allowance an improvement, someone at Sky has clearly flipped there lid!

I only have SkyHD as I recenrly discontinued my multiroom Sky+ box so come January 2010 my BB would increase to 10, this I not to fussed about because it still seems good value but there is no other real choice for me at my exchange and I don't want to go back on BT's products due to there throttling etc.

However if I am forced to change to Unlimited then that would cost me 15 per month which is not something I am really prepared to pay for. Sky drew us all in with the promise of cheap broadband and now they attach so many different clauses to get the cheap product that it isn't worth it anymore. I had Sky Talk and promptly binned it when I saw how much it was actually costing me compared to BT, went back to BT and call costs back to what I would expect.

Sky are simply conning us all, keep it up Sky and you will loose a lot of customers, you have scored a great own goal here.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spouse View Post
      That's the nature of the beast, it seems. I was always amazed in the early days of broadband how my friends were happy to pay BT 27 a month for an inferior service when you could get a decent connection elsewhere for less than half the price. Companies like Sky will always try to charge what they can get away with. If they lose some business or goodwill along the way, that doesn't seem to matter. They know that inertia counts for a lot in this game and most people won't move.

I've said before that I don't think this group is indicative of the Sky user base as a whole. Sky have said that Mid is being capped at 10GB because that is what most people use. I have no reason to doubt that. I also think that Max/Unlimited at 10 a month (if you have the TV service) is a really good deal. I opted to pay the extra fiver - I use nowhere near 40GB of data and don't NEED a 20MB connection - if it's there why not use it? If I had gone for Mid instead I would now be ready to cough up the extra cash instead of looking to switch to another provider that will probably hike their prices up in 2 or 3 months because they can. I left PlusNet for Sky - I was paying them 14.99 a month for the equivalent of the Mid package. That is now 11.99 a month. Still more than what I am paying Sky, so I'm reasonably happy for now.

What worries me more than the price increases is the way Sky (and others) try to lock you into specific services like LLU or become a near monopoly with the likes of Sky Sports. I am very wary of LLU because of the complexity of switching, so I am opting out of that while I have the chance. If that means that at some point in the future I can't have Sky broadband then so be it. But for now, I'll stick with what I have because there isn't much better out there for me.
      seems you actually have some common sense - although i still think going from 40 to 10GB is a bit of a drastic drop...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spouse View Post
      Sky have said that Mid is being capped at 10GB because that is what most people use. I have no reason to doubt that.
      Well if most people are using that little anyway what would be the point of annoying those who are using the current allowance, they don't stand to gain much.

The price point was obviously based on the current 40gb allowance so with a reduction of three quarters with no reduction in price it seems that they are having their cake and eating it.

I cannot help thinking that this is more to do with the way Sky are miss-managing their network and allowing people on the Mid package to far exceed their allowance, I think it is more to put those people off taking it and puch the heavy downloaders to the new Unlimited package.

This could have been done more effectively by just contacting the people who are doing this and telling them to either stop or upgrade, no need to drop every customers allowance and cause such a fuss and bad publicity.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Good point. I doubt they would have the systems in place to allow some users to keep a 40GB cap while new customers are capped at 10GB. It's simpler to just cap the lot than to effectively introduce an additional price point that may end up with very few subcribers (no one will join, but people will either upgrade or leave eventually). PlusNet have a policy of not changing existing subscriber packages, but that works both ways. In the time I was with them they swapped and changed allowances, speeds and prices regularly and it needed some serious calculating to work out whether to switch. Oh, and at one time they charged 15 if you did decide to switch! I'm not saying Sky can't do it - really they should either let things be or offer free or low cost upgrades to Unlimited - but I can see why they aren't.

trailertrash is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: paignton
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      ...although i still think going from 40 to 10GB is a bit of a drastic drop...
      I, like many others here, agree, and to call such a drastic drop "an improvement at no extra cost" is pure 1984.

I think, at the very least, there should have been some sort of 'legacy' arrangement whereby existing customers keep their existing package, (with more exacting monitoring perhaps to weed out the blatant abusers). Other ISPs seem to manage this to avoid alienating their loyal customer base and mobile operators have been doing it for years. It is only relatively recently that I have let my Orange 'Everyday 50' go. Who remembers that one?

I am genuinely surprised that Sky didn't learn their lesson over the pricing debacle, but as we are dealing with Murdochs I guess I shouldn't be.

trailertrash

p.s. and it is only in the last 12 hrs that the 'error' (40GB instead of 10GB) on the 'Everyday' home page has been corrected.
      Last edited by trailertrash; 02-07-09 at 11:40 AM. Reason: p.s. added

elim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Winchmore Hill
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

sky are starting to get greedy, everything is going up in price such as the sky tv, broadband, espcially in this hard time for british consumers they should be helping.

andymoo7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Moved to Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: gone to V+
      Thanks

I moved from Virgin to Sky in May (BB activated on 28th May) I signed up to TV, Telephone and BB(mid).

Within a month of starting they reduce my BB by 75% and increase the my monthly fee.
      I shall be cancelling the whole lot and going back to Virgin.

Sky has either falsely advertised their deal, mis-sold it to me or in breach of their contract - probably all 3!

And I thought Sky was going to be a good move - never again will I be tempted.

Page 38 of 77 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast