Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 37 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Did you get line drops before the changes jay ? Considering your attenuation, you have a short/good line ( compared ...

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

Did you get line drops before the changes jay ?
      Considering your attenuation, you have a short/good line ( compared to mine 53db ) so I'd be surprised if you did have problems...
      I'm concerned wether Mid users like me with longer lines on G.dmt mode will get changed back to ADSL2+ again. Then get capped again by 30% due to "line instability". ( Based on top of a hill with 3.8km line mostly above ground )
      A 3.5Mbit connection that sometimes re-syncs overnight is better than being permanently capped at 2.5Mbit ! I'm more likely to move ISP for that than the 75% reduction in download cap...

2. Advertisement
      jay.s is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Albert Dock
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

nope , my line has always been solid. never had any drop offs or disconnects even before the line was upgarded.

here are the stats from before the change....

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 20 db 11 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 8 db

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jay.s View Post
      nope , my line has always been solid. never had any drop offs or disconnects even before the line was upgarded.

here are the stats from before the change....

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 20 db 11 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 8 db
      Lucky you. Roll on "Fibre To The Cabinet" and then we can all get speeds like you.
      ( I can dream can't I ? )
      Sorry, going off topic of this thread...

super-saint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

So am confused with my options.

I am on MID & am rather miffed at my limit going down to 10gb. I also on Sky TALK & pay my line rental through them & also have Sky TV (entertainment pack)

1. Am i best just upgrading to MAX & paying the extra 5 ?.....as a point of principal I would rather not

2. Moving to O2 ? I see their price is around 7 for a 8mbs service (I am a o2 PAYG user)...I also read that you can cash back if signed up through quidco ? Can i keep my Sky talk or do I have to take phone elsewhere?

3. Move to another provider.

Advise would be gratefully received

lostvalley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Totton
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by super-saint View Post

I am on MID & am rather miffed at my limit going down to 10gb. I also on Sky TALK & pay my line rental through them & also have Sky TV (entertainment pack)

1. Am i best just upgrading to MAX & paying the extra 5 ?.....as a point of principal I would rather not

2. Moving to O2 ? I see their price is around 7 for a 8mbs service (I am a o2 PAYG user)...I also read that you can cash back if signed up through quidco ? Can i keep my Sky talk or do I have to take phone elsewhere?

Hi super-saint, sounds like you are in the same situation as me. One other point to remember is the line rental will result in you being moved to their new network for your telephone. This may not bother you but it does mean if you decide to switch telephone providers then it could cost you money and time to be transferred back to the standard BT network. It may be worth opting out if you have not done so already

Like you I also thought I could just move to Max (unlimited) and pay the 10 pounds a month but, also like you, I feel I am tempted to move as a matter of principle and O2 does look like a good deal.

The other thing bothering me about Sky is the constantly moving goal posts. First, you must have Sky Talk, now the Mid package has been significantly changed and don't forget line rental will be 11 pounds from Sept. Isn't BT only 11.25??? Sky doesn't look quite so sweet anymore. What will change next? But then is O2 now doing what Sky did until recently. Confusing isn't it

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

If you do decide to move ISP's then ensure that it is on an LLU exchange, O2's rebadged BT product is as bad as Sky's Connect.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

In addition to what Smithy99 says, you can find that if you then wanted to move back to Sky, all their ports are full so then you may be well stuck!!, on Connect

andykate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: crossgates,leeds
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by super-saint View Post

i had exactly the same problem as you.my line rental is with sky so i have opted out of the move onto the new sky voice equipment and moved isp.im now with o2 and ALL my speeds have doubled
      another funny thing is....i play on both consoles live so i wanted my ping as low as possible so i got my max delays down and then cst put me on gdmt and capped my line at 4mb,my ping was 30ms to the bbc.
      they said my line couldnt handle adsl2+...
      o2 got activated on monday,im on adsl2+,my speeds have doubled,up and down and my ping to the bbc is 18ms,so for me,moving to o2 is the best thing that could of happened.
      thanks sky,for changing my contract
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 01-07-09 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

harrison.reilly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I upgraded to Max/Unlimited because I easily go over 10GB a month on Mid/Everyday.

G926 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01634
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have always been a supporter of Sky ever since I changed to them from Telewest many years ago. I take the full World pack with sports and movies and signed up to Mid broadband last year.
      Since then they have doubled the price on me and now they are going to reduce the amount I can download by 75%
      For me this is the last straw, Sky cannot keep beating it's customers with a stick. I could upgrade to Max but my max line speed available is 11mB so this is of no benefit. Plus I think having had these two changes enforced on me in a 12 month period, I have to ask what's next? Probably in 6 months Max customers will find a price increase or a cap to "benefit it's customers".

I ave sat down and reviewed what I watch on TV and will be calling Sky to ask for my mac to move ISP, O2 looks favourite at this stage. I will also be reducing my TV package and will give the reasons listed above.

I will not be moving to Virgin (I am angry, not mad...lol) but Sky have made me review what I need because of this disgraceful change. And as a result they will be getting less money from me.

Page 37 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast