Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 33 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; the connect is not offering a 20mb connection this was a misprint that was briefed to all sky staff explaining ...

briancst1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NIBYS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

the connect is not offering a 20mb connection this was a misprint that was briefed to all sky staff explaining this

2. Advertisement
      LooieENG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      A line is unbundled when an ISP installs their own equipment in an exchange and uses it to supply broadband (+phone sometimes) to its subscribers over the local loop. That part of the phone network between the exchange and your house. This is known as Local Loop Unbundling. ie LLU.

I am not sure about 'networking switching', this usually refers to using a network switch to increase the capacity of a network, but I am not sure if this is what you mean.
      thanks for the LLU explanation, but my networking switching, I meant I noticed some people were talking about being put on a different network? and then having to pay in the future to go to another ISP?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,581 Posts

This means that Sky will take over the whole Local Loop, supplying phone as well as broadband services. At the moment Sky plug the broadband side into their own exchange equipment and rent the phone side from BT who still supply and run the exchange equipment. When Sky take over the full Local Loop, the phone will also be plugged into Sky's equipment, giving them full control over the line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

alanjrobertson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

So, the Sky Mag announcement - am I right this is limited to the advert on pp44-45? I couldn't see it obviously mentioned elsewhere (and if I missed it on a quick glance I'm guessing it's not that obvious!).

I also only just noticed the subscription increase letter on the back of the address label insert as I was about to shred it! It was an impressively confusing letter in itself quoting no less than eight different amounts and rather laughably ending with "We hope this makes everything clear"!!!

At my other flat I don't even get sent a Sky Mag so it's going to be interesting to see how they notify me of the subscription increase as per the Direct Debit rules!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,581 Posts

How can one get moved to Sky's phone equipment if your local exchange is not LLU
      You can't unfortunately. Your only hope of a faster speed is when BT upgrade your exchange to 21CN WBC. You will then be able to get an ISP who will supply up to 20Mb download, if Sky do not upgrade the Connect package. Even with the throttling, Connect at 5 is not a bad deal.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You can't unfortunately. Your only hope of a faster speed is when BT upgrade your exchange to 21CN WBC. You will then be able to get an ISP who will supply up to 20Mb download, if Sky do not upgrade the Connect package. Even with the throttling, Connect at 5 is not a bad deal.
      No I would agree, 5 for Connect is a good deal and my speeds throttled or not are an average 6.85 mbps which isn't bad. The reason for the 5 deal was Sky notified everyone when they first took over Easynet that they were about to upgrade our exchange. Now for whatever reason, i.e. cost or mistake in saying we were to be upgraded, it has never happened and as I said before for less than a thousand properties likely never will be. Because of this Sky gave me the 5 deal.

This is a bit off topic but I would like to see if anyone has any answer. I keep reading stories in the press, statements from government, ofcom etc. about the need to supply fast broadband to rural areas. Now we are part of a large urban conurbation where just about everyone around us is LLU yet due to our size we are not. Surely we should be treated no differently to rural areas when it comes to fast broadband rollout. There are hundreds and hundreds of exchanges like this in our towns and cities, are we to be marginalised and left with slow connections whilst the more profitable exchanges are LLU capable thus get fast broadband and the rural communities get the same due to large government grants?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I think the gov consider 2mb to be a minimum, considering most people are capable of this I don't think there will be much movement.

BT should eventually get the equipment upgraded in the exchanges which should see higher speeds but then they will have to deal with capacity

ZeroHour is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      I wonder how long will it be though before the rest of the "major" ISPs choose to go down the full LLU route?
      BT wholesale will probably change their pricing before most isps can afford to run their own llu network. The biggest issue right now is the structure of BT's wholesale adsl pricing.
      Z

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alanjrobertson View Post
      It was an impressively confusing letter in itself quoting no less than eight different amounts and rather laughably ending with "We hope this makes everything clear"!!!
      Sky are known for not making things clear. Although I haven't got my mag yet I would be surprised if my letter was any more clearer than the usual price increase letters.

mitchec1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCRAY
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      Sky are known for not making things clear. Although I haven't got my mag yet I would be surprised if my letter was any more clearer than the usual price increase letters.
      No if it's the same as mine it just says they're making changes doesn't say anything about reducing usage for Mid/everyday just their making changes halfway down.

They have also sent pamphlet with a Big coloured header "Sky Broadband now even better" in big bold letters and underneath in small letters "Please see inside for important changes to your Broadband and Talk Services"

The second part is pretty small and if your a subscriber you'll think it's just like any of the previous sheets sky have put in to. If people realise it is about changes then it's reasonable clear.

Edit: The back page is about migrating to the new network if your a Sky BB & Talk customer and your opt out.
      They've also stated because they've made changes to MID you can cancel without charge as long as you do it before the 1st August, they're promoting the Unlimited though
      What you know is not a secret

Page 33 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast