Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 30 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by lostvalley Looks like I have one of the worst combinations. I am/was on Sky Mid, Sky Talk ...

andykate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: crossgates,leeds
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Changes - 22nd June

Quote Originally Posted by lostvalley View Post
      Looks like I have one of the worst combinations. I am/was on Sky Mid, Sky Talk and have line rental through Sky. I regularly use greater than 10GB but always less than 40GB. Sky Mid was perfect as Sky Max only offered extra speed and due to the distance to the Exchange, this wasn't going to happen. So, I am now faced with having to move to Sky Broadband Unlimited and paying more! Of course, I will investigate alternative ISP's as well.

The real worry is the line rental. Reading some of the info here suggests it could be a very bad thing should I wish to switch in the future, in terms of cost and potential loss of service. So, it seems to me I have to switch the line rental fast or am I misreading this? Does it read this way to anyone else? Are there any real advantages to the user in staying with Sky? Anybody moved their line rental back as a result of this and any good suggestions before I head to BT?

Thanks,

Mark
      im in exactly the same boat as you so im on o2 from monday but my line rental is still with sky but not on the new sky voice network.if you move onto that it WILL cost you if you ever want to move.
      no doubt it will turn out i lose features cos im staying with sky on the line they rent off bt.i bet it turns out i lose the free calls to support on evenings and weekends and i wont be able to check my voice mail on the internet......??never check my voicemail anyway...lol.

also sky sent this reply to another user about the usage on the new everyday package....
      I received the following reply:

"At this moment there isn't software incorporated to measure your monthly usage. If you rarely exceed the monthly allowance by a small amount, Sky will not contact you. If you do then Sky will advise you of this."
      how often is rarely ,b4 sky ADVISE you that your over your limit...????AND OFFER YOU UNLIMITED..........
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

2. Advertisement
      flokie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glasgow Langside
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Well I've just found out about the changes when I received SkyMag this morning.

I'm in a similar case to lostvalley's. I have line rental with Sky, Broadband Mid (usage definitely over 20GB per month), and just 2 basic TV packages.
      Definitely not happy about changes, and not sure about chancing it with the 10GB usage on Everyday.
      I switched my line rental to Sky in February - mostly so I don't have to deal with BT at all anymore.

Am I stuck with Sky line rental until next year even with their change of contract? The info I got only says I can cancel broadband without charge before Aug. 1st. no mention of other products.
      I guess I should still opt out of the new network to start with, so switching is less painful when I do?

I don't care so much about the TV packages, and with all these price hikes, and less allowance I guess I would be happy enough with FreeSat and another ADSL provider. OK, then I might need something more than 8Mbps and 40GB allowance...
      Just concerned about the line rental really (and I don't want to go back to BT, or switch to Tiscali or TalkTalk! Orange are an option but I'm not so sure either...). What are your thoughts on this? Am I stuck until next year?

Thanks

if your happy with your line rental and you opt out of the move to sky voice,just get a new isp.thats what ive done.
      if you do want to leave,it should be with no charge as its a change to your phone contract aswell as your bb one.it says that if you continue to pay for your services after 1st aug you are agreeing to the new contractS(plural).
      so a change to both contracts gives you the right to leave either or both without charge,..!!!
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

TOPGUNKC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01843
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sorry to sound stupid I understand the bit about mid changing(I am on mid so I might have to upgrade to unlimited,But the bit about the new sky voice network ?

I pay BT for my line rental and have sky freetime evening and weekend calls,what is the opting in or out mean for me ? Do I have a choice about it

Thanks

its just people on sky line rental getting moved to skys phone equipment,no need to worry if your with bt.
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

lostvalley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Totton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andykate View Post
      if your happy with your line rental and you opt out of the move to sky voice,just get a new isp.thats what ive done.
      if you do want to leave,it should be with no charge as its a change to your phone contract aswell as your bb one.it says that if you continue to pay for your services after 1st aug you are agreeing to the new contractS(plural).
      so a change to both contracts gives you the right to leave either or both without charge,..!!!
      Excuse the paranoia but do you have any means of proving you have opted out of the new network? If Sky move you over "by mistake", is there any way to show that its their problem and hence they put it right for free? I've been through something similar once before with a different ISP and unfortunately a lot of "mistakes" occured

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

but do you have any means of proving you have opted out of the new network?
      Good point, an email confirmation would be good. Maybe you should use the KANA form and ask for confirmation.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Do Sky actually know what email is or how to use it?

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevvi View Post
      And I was simply pointing out that, to quote myself "the problem is that Sky Max is a very good deal at 15 per month... and dare I say it, 25 per month".
      Max is a good deal at 15/month. Thats why I'm on it. At 25/month it wouldnt be unless the only option at your exchange is Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by stevvi View Post
      To prove me wrong, go and get a quote of below 25 for an uncapped product from a non-LLU'd exchange...
      Thats like comparing chalk with cheese.
      Last edited by dholdi; 25-06-09 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lostvalley View Post
      Excuse the paranoia but do you have any means of proving you have opted out of the new network? If Sky move you over "by mistake", is there any way to show that its their problem and hence they put it right for free? I've been through something similar once before with a different ISP and unfortunately a lot of "mistakes" occured
      right,you got me para now...lol
      just sent an email to sky asking for confirmation,ill post back with an update when i get an answer.
      i was under the impression that you only got moved over if you had both line rental and bb with sky.theres alot of people who will be goosed if they do make a mistake like that.lots have sky line rental but a different isp.......
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

Page 30 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast