Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Should sky award long term subscribers?

This is a discussion on Should sky award long term subscribers? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; As it says, any ideas how they would do it? Thinking that sky recently recognised how long it has been ...

Muzikill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01383
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Should sky award long term subscribers?

As it says, any ideas how they would do it?

Thinking that sky recently recognised how long it has been running my household subscribed when it first scrambled to videocrypt.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Should sky award long term subscribers?

It would be nice to think that they would and I'm sure they could if they put their mind to it.
      First idea - maybe some kind of points scheme, like shell / tesco etc. Varying levels of points would be awarded based on levels of subscription to services. The points could then be redeemed for free movies / sports / line rental etc.

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think you are being naive if you think they will even though I agree it would be appeciated. If you cannot get cable (ie for 90% + of the country) and if you want premium channels there is no other option = monopoly.

They will spend money to attract new customers but existing customers who want a premium service will stay as long as they can afford it. There is no business case for loyalty bonuses.

This isn't like petrol points or supermarket cards as Shell and Tesco have to buy your loyalty to make you stay with them. For most a trip to BP or Sainsbury is as easy as going to your usual supermarket or petrol station. Even for mobile phones, you can easily move providers to any of the 3 or 4 alternatives after the end of a 12 month minimum contract period. When you get to the end of a 12 month Sky contract, who do you swap to even if you felt like doing so?

Unfortunately Sky are in a perfect position to abuse their existing customers and there is no incentive for them to do anything else. If you don't like that then there is only one option I'm afraid - Vote with your feet!

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I cant say I disagree with you, however I think the idea of the post was to discuss ideas for loyalty schemes, not whether Sky would offer them or not.
      As to there being no business case, if a points based scheme encouraged higher levels of subscription then that would increase revenue. The cost to gain points would far outweigh the value of them, just like shell points etc.