Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Sky Broadband Max - New Faster Speeds?

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Max - New Faster Speeds? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; This is abit of next to nothing really. Sky's existing technology allows people to connect up to 24Megs depending on ...

Surrender_Monkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lichfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Max - New Faster Speeds?

This is abit of next to nothing really.

Sky's existing technology allows people to connect up to 24Megs depending on distance from the exchange. It has always been there when SKY has LLU enabled the exchange but Sky has always restricted to 16Megs to avoid the adverse publicity of 99% of us getting no where near the higher figure.

Obviously, Sky is feeling the pinch from Virgin achieving 50Megs and needs some publicity.

As regards 21CN this brought the BT network upto 24Meg, ie BT finally caught up to most LLU providers and this is now enabled at most exchanges. The final bit is the switch to an IP network which comes over the next few yrs and this is the date most people are aware of. However, this final bit makes no difference to speeds.

So compared to Virgin both Sky and BT's best offerings look poor. Hence, the consideration to put fibre to the cabinet on the agenda which will improve speeds beyond 24Megs to circa 40Megs to 50Megs. Just after BT has finished upgrading the copper last year for 21CN. Sounds desparate to me.

In summary, Sky are not giving you anything that they could have before, BT are catching up to SKY and Virgin are far far ahead. BT have been panicked into FTTC and publicity has taken over from reality. By the way some are now testing technology which will give speeds in excess of 1Gbyte/s. I will admit they bonded two 500Megs connections together, cheeky beggers.

Still I ain't complaining because I already sync at 15.5Megs and that is more than enough for the time being. And at the end of the day it is price and consistancy that count. You get great bang for bucks on the max product.

Last edited by Surrender_Monkey; 30-03-09 at 10:14 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Zico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury (NDCAN)
      Broadband ISP: VFast.co.uk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

No change for a long time for our line. ~2.2mb at the moment and not likely to change until FTTC experiences a mass push forward.

I completely ignore the comparisons of Virgin to BT/Sky et al. Until Virgin expand there network to cover the rest of the UK then there is no competition for a large majority of those of us looking to get a higher broadband connection that won't benefit from ADSL2+.

unity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wigan
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

It has all been confirmed now, B.T. are playing catchup to supply " up to" 24Meg to customer's, Sky has alway's had the abillity to do this. Now B.T. are about to offer it to customer's, Sky have to respond. The 24Meg will still go down copper line's. And only a small % of end user's will get this speed. This announcement has nothing to do with FTTC. This is still years in the future. It's all about Sky getting edgy because B.T. can match them on "up to 24Meg" advertisement's. Unless you live very close to the exchange, you will not benefit from this upgrade.

HiPing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SELBY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Oh well, heres to 3 or 4 more years on 3.4Mb.
      Thanks Sky, Easynet, BT, Virgin et al.

unity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wigan
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Because offcom have now taken the shackles off B.T., They can provide FTTC in a staged rollout program. Once your exchange can offer 40-60Meg BB it will be upto your ISP to offer it to it's end user's. But it will be at a price. Your ISP will have to buy the fiber link to the cab off BT. This could cost up to 1000. So your ISP will have to get this money back, and make a proffit at the same time. So it will be down to the ISP's wether or not they offer super fast BB to thier customers or not. BT will be selling the superfast BB to end users at a price. The standard copper lines that are currently up to 8Meg will still operate along side of the fiber lines. BT will be looking no doubt at Virgin Media who are offering "up to 50Meg" for 49 a month. So in other word's BT's 21st Centuary network will not inprove your existing line. Unless your ISP buy's into it, and you as an end user can afford to pay for it. As i have mentioned before,the only benefit end users will see is BT offering up to 24Meg down a copper line. If your line can take it. If not then your stuck with what youv'e got. Unless you want to pay for it.

HiPing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SELBY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

If the only way of getting an increase in speed is to wait for fibre, then those on the longer lines are being penalised. Those on a low/mid attn will, in the meantime, get a nice speed boost

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

You are right up to a point, however only those with very low attenuation will see any advantage. Those on low to mid attenuations are probably getting as much as their line can handle anyway, so will see no improvement. That is, if Sky have not discovered how to put a quart into a pint pot and have something entirely different up their sleeve. As this has been aimed at Max customers, I doubt it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

LooieENG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I'm about 900m away from the exchange, and when we had 8mbit I got 7, then when we got 16 I got 14, so if they upgrade to 24, should I get around 20? my line attenuation is 29db

gareth86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LooieENG View Post
      I'm about 900m away from the exchange, and when we had 8mbit I got 7, then when we got 16 I got 14, so if they upgrade to 24, should I get around 20? my line attenuation is 29db
      I'm also very similar to that. around 900 meters with line attenuation of 28db and set at 14 i get 12. I don't know how it works but it sounds promising if that's the case lol!
      Gareth

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      Not forgetting the upload speed, hopefully they will increase the upload speed as well.
      This will go up also ;-)

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast