Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sky+ HD Guide

This is a discussion on Sky+ HD Guide within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I've got a Thomson SkyHD box Ive not had the update yet Is there any way to force the update?...

mccann85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waterlooville
      Broadband ISP: BE & O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ HD Guide

I've got a Thomson SkyHD box Ive not had the update yet
      Is there any way to force the update?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcclaw View Post
      I've got a Thomson SkyHD box Ive not had the update yet
      Is there any way to force the update?
      Firstly you wont have it yet, it's not being rolled out until the 10th March onwards, (it did say in the announcement).

Also it is being rolled out to certain people first, the ones who have Thompson seem to be the top of the pile. You should receive details in the post to show you how it works, this will be a good indication f when you are likely to get it.

Fusion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

No one has had the update yet!!!

The update is going out tonight at 4am, In addition as the original post states

"The first group to receive the Sky+HD Guide will be made up of some of our customers with Thomson Sky+HD boxes"

Some being the key word there, I believe only 38,000 boxes are being rolled out initially, they are all Thomsons and apparently have the model number 4E300E.

All people who are getting the update initially have been sent a PACK by sky, so if you have not got the pack and/or do not have a Thomson with model number 4E300E you wont be getting it in the first wave.

Also there is no way of forcing the download you simply have to wait until sky sends your activation code. In fact on DigitalSpy they are claiming that if you do a forced software update it destroys your local cached copy of the new EPG and you could have to wait even longer until the epg is re-downloaded.

Beaten to the punch by Smithy
      Last edited by Fusion; 09-03-09 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Slow typing.... :)

i4detail is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kincorth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Angry Re: Sky+ HD Guide

Well - mine was updated this morning. First impressions were great, but that lasted all of 5 mins!...

Before the update, there were only two major issues that bugged me (when "HD Resolution" is set to Auto);

1 - Enter the Sky Guide from an SD channel. Go into Anytime. Select and play an HD film. - The sky box will not switch to HD resolution and stay in SD!

2- There is no 576i option. Sky say this is because some HD TVs can't handle 576i over HDMI. but the option would still be nice. The Sky box cannot de-interlace programs properly, and you're left stuck with "combing". Just look at the Bloomberg banner. My TV can de-interlace fine - let me choose it!

So why not just select 1080i as the permanent resolution? I hear you cry.
      Because my 1080 TV (Sharp LC52XD1E) is a few years old and only allows 16:9 ratios for HD signals - leaving my with Stretch-o-vision for 4:3 programs. A lot of HD TVs are like this

But... Now they've added to these issues (which I was hoping would be fixed) with the following;

3 - Select an SD channel then go to the Guide. Select an HD Channel and watch it. Again, the resolution is not changed, leaving you in SD! This also works in reverse, causing the following...

4 - Select an HD movie channel then go to the Guide. Select the same channel, in SD, and watch it. The Sky box will insist on staying in HD, and choke itself. Causing the frame rate to drop to about 10fps. changing channel and back again resolves this.

For the love of all that is holy, can Sky not get in some decent Beta Testers?! Let me on that list - It's obvious the current crop can't find the obvious bugs!

Anyway, rant over - off to contact Sky...

Has anyone else noticed any niggles? Is there an ongoing bug-list that I could add to? (there's usually one kicking about that someone sends off to the company)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by i4detail View Post
      Has anyone else noticed any niggles? Is there an ongoing bug-list that I could add to? (there's usually one kicking about that someone sends off to the company)
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-h...rkarounds.html

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As one who cannot get over excited about an EPG, I'm very pleased that my Thomson (4E3011) has not got the new EPG, cause if it bugged up the box while the cricket is on I would have been very p****d off.

Sky HD Team is offline Sky+HD Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Update from Sky+HD team

As many of you have now seen, we have begun the roll out of the new Sky+HD Guide. Weve been encouraged by the initial reaction so far and want to ensure that we continue to roll out the new guide in a way which ensures as smooth a transition as possible for all of our Sky+HD customers. We also want to help clarify any major areas of interest and from the comments weve read so far, its clear that many of you are interested in understanding both why certain boxes have received the guide first and over what time frame the rollout will take place.

The first group that received the new guide yesterday was selected on the basis that they were part of a distinct batch of boxes that were both relatively small in number and self-contained. We purposely chose to roll-out to this small and controlled batch of boxes first so that we could ensure both our customer communications and internal processes are fully operational and working as planned, prior to a wider roll-out.

We will be taking feedback from customers over the next few weeks and when we can confirm that everything is proceeding to plan, we will then continue a phased roll-out over the coming months, prioritising our most long standing HD customers first. All customers will receive the new Sky+ HD Guide user pack in the mail just prior to their receiving the new guide, and we will continue to enhance our online site to make sure you can get the most out of all the new functionality.

Thank you for your patience, and we hope you enjoy your new Sky+ HD Guide.

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

it would be nice to see a new revamped guide for the normal stb's... but the HD customers seem to be getting all the special treatment like usual...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samperry209 View Post
      it would be nice to see a new revamped guide for the normal stb's... but the HD customers seem to be getting all the special treatment like usual...
      I don't think the normal boxes could handle the new firmware, it crashed them, although if you want me to brick yours I've a hammer in the van

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

i think pvr3's can handle a smaller version of the guide

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)