Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sky Email Broken Again

This is a discussion on Sky Email Broken Again within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Update: 27/02/09 00:25 Members are now reporting that this issue has been resolved. Over the last 24 hours or so, ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky Email Broken Again

Update: 27/02/09 00:25

Members are now reporting that this issue has been resolved.

Over the last 24 hours or so, Sky customers have had an issue with retrieving their email

We have seen a marked increase in visitors over the last 24 hours or so with issues being reported of people been unable to use POP3 for their Sky Email accounts. Sky advises that customers use their webmail for now.

Just like the previous issues a couple of weeks ago, it would appear that our temporary fix is helping those with difficulties.

Again we have put together a few tips to help you get back up and running, until this issue is sorted out.

If you are using an Email Client, ie Outlook, Outlook Express, etc Try the following:

Use Google's domain instead of Sky's and it should then work for you.

eg. in your email client, change pop.tools.sky.com to pop.googlemail.com

This is not an official fix, just one that seems to work. Please remember to revert back to your original settings once normal Sky Email service is resumed.

Sky's website contains the following statement:

Some customers are reporting problems with their desktop software when collecting their email by POP3. Engineers are investigating the situation. Meanwhile affected customers can access their Sky Email via webmail by signing in at Sky.com - Home We apologise for the inconvenience.

Sky.com - Home

If you need any further help or advice, feel free to post in our forums.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 27-02-09 at 12:26 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      adna is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: +44 208698
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Email Broken Again

I tried to use the pop.googlemail.com, but it did not work with me at all. Do you know why?

adna is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: +44 208698
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It says: Account: 'pop.googlemail.com', Server: 'pop.googlemail.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

happiness is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923897725
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Sky Email Broken Again

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

IanKerr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Sky Email Broken Again

I have not been able to get either Outlook or Outlook Express to accept my Sky e-mails at all. Over the worst part of 2 days I have tried all the fixes mentioned on this site and Skyhelp and all the POP & STMP settings have been checked that many times I am bog-eyed from looking at them. I have checked lots of hints I found on Google and using the googlemail solution I get 4/5 of the way and it tells me my Sky e-mail address is wrong - it isn't. I am not a stranger to changing ISP's so I have amended accounts before but this one is frazzling my brain big style.
      I could use the Sky site to send mail but I have all my historic mail on Outlook Express and wanted to continue using that. Oddly the Sky spellcheck did not even recognise Lancashire and offered me Alongshore and Languishing - well I live by the sea but that's not really any help.
      I was made redundant last year and need access to a reliable e-mail service to send out job applications, at present I wonder whether my switch from Orange was a wise one at this time.
      Last edited by IanKerr; 27-02-09 at 11:59 AM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you can send using Outlook, just not receive...

OR sign up to normal Googlemail - then you have an emaill account that's accessible regardless of ISP...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

happiness is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923897725
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by happiness View Post
      There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
      Working ok now. Silly me I didn't enter my Sky username correctly (including @sky.com)

happiness

Thanks

I still cannot send e-mail using Outlook
      I get the following message when I try to send an e-mail.
      Task 'pop.googlemail.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. t12sm316157gvd.20'
      When I go into accounts and test the account settings I get - "Send test e-mail message; Unable to send test message. Please verify the e-mail address field."
      And yes - the e-mail address is correct -username@sky.com and the e-mail address it is going to is correct.
      For years I have used Outlook through Freeserve, Wanadoo, BT and Orange with only minor issues yet 2 days into my new Sky mail I am totally flumoxxed.
      I know I can use googlemail but I have so much information tied up to Outlook which I wanted to keep. I was advised the change-over would be smooth, the internet has been so, albeit slow but they did warn me about that so that's Ok but the e-mail has been a nightmare.
      I have no choice but to use googlemail or Sky's website for now but ideally I want to get back onto my old Outlook menu which I have customised over the years. Surely that's not too much to ask?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Nice try NewsreadeR but I passed the double-checking yesterday afternoon and am now well into double figured checking.
      The closest I have got is using the configuration with pop.googlemail.com and smtp.googlemail.com etc. that checks 4 of the 5 test but then it apparently does not recognise my e-mail address or Password so back to square 1. I have used my full Sky e-mail and my Googlemail address as well as the initial Sky allocated password, my amended one AND my googlemail password and used many combinations of these and it will still not send any e-mails out.
      I have deleted countless attempts on the Outlook account set-up menu and like Robert the Bruce I have tried and tried again, and again and agin!
      I would say 60% of my internet searching for the last 2 days has been on this and the other 40% checking on jobs in our area. To say both searches have been totally futile would be an under statement.
      Thanks anyway but I think that until Sky or Google can get the initial sky.tools options working I will have to use Sky's or Googlemail's website.
      It's just an aggravation I could well have done without right now.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast