Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3DTV from Sky could be a reality in the future

This is a discussion on 3DTV from Sky could be a reality in the future within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; A few months ago we published a rumour that Sky had been showing a new concept of 3DTV delivered through ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

3DTV from Sky could be a reality in the future

A few months ago we published a rumour that Sky had been showing a new concept of 3DTV delivered through a Sky+HD box to their staff. Imagine my surprise, when invited to Sky for a day out this week, to be told on arrival, that I was one of a select few about to have a demonstration of this brand new exciting technology.

On entering the lab, I was introduced to two of Sky’s development people where we had a quick chat about the concept of what we were about to see, and it was made absolutely clear that were in fact no current plans to implement this technology, but Sky were investigating the feasibility and had already, effectively built this to the stage of it actually been able to exist through a standard, non modified Sky+HD box.

The only other requirements for a Sky+HD customer to receive this would be a 3D TV, which are about to be launched in the UK for consumers to buy, and a pair of 3D glasses, and not a pair like we already know and hate. They are not green and red, but like a pair of see through designer sunglasses.

There were two 46” Plasmas, one with a Sky+HD STB connected, the other had some kind of camera, trained onto the room. This camera turned out to be in fact two separate cameras and was displaying live 3D images of those of us in the room onto the second TV.

The second TV with the images of people in the room was the subject of this first demonstration. We were shown the illusion of how a Sky+HD remote could be passed from a person’s hand within the screen, to another person’s hand outside of the screen. This was quite spooky and clearly showed the possibilities.

Whilst watching this TV, there was a definite point whereby you could clearly see that the remote was within the TV (or the picture) and then this point was crossed so that the remote actually appeared to be outside the TV.

The demonstration then changed to the other TV, which was manufactured by Hyundai and cost Sky approximately £2,500. We were presented with a montage of Sky recorded shows, football matches, and Ricky Hatton’s May 24th win over Juan Lazcano, as well as Sky1’s Gladiators programme.

WOW! The football you felt you were in the crowd, a whole new concept of watching the TV, and your initial thoughts were, a few mates round and plenty of beers and a match in 3D – that would be some party.

Gladiators was absolutely incredible in 3D with the search lights appearing to come right out of the screen and shine out into and around the room. Again, with programs like Cirque de Celebrité you can just imagine the 3D effects and what this would actually be capable of in the future.

We were also shown the Sky+HD advert (non-3D clip below) with the vehicle and the chickens that appeared to be at least 6 feet in distance outside of the TV. If anything showed off the benefits of 3D, then this was the one clip to do so.

YouTube - Sky HD Advert

So how does it all work?

It was explained to us that two cameras were used in the filming of the demos, side by side with a couple of inches gap between them, just like our own eyes. These images are recorded in digital and then manipulated and sent to a Sky+HD box as dual images, using the same bandwidth as a normal HD signal.

In the Star Trek type Gallery that Sky have, we could see the output on a screen, and how it would actually be sent to the HD box. I didn’t take any pictures but have mocked one up to show a concept.

This is then decoded by the Sky+ HD box and the 3DTV then does it work. The end result is an image displayed in 3D and very hard to put into words. The easiest that I can describe this effect, is that you are actually ‘within the picture’ and no longer outside of it.

What about 3D content?

Apparently some film studios are already geared up to film movies in 3D in the future including Pixar, Dreamworks and Twentieth Century Fox.

Who would want HD3DTV?

This is the million dollar question. To be able to receive this, firstly you would need to have a Sky+HD box and secondly you would need to buy a 3D ready TV. Sky bought their Hyundai set for £2,500, some 9 months ago. 3D TVs are due to go on sale in the UK from next year, but no one knows how they will be priced and how quickly those prices will fall as we have seen with HD ready TVs. The HD box is not the issue but it’s the price of the TV that may ultimately put me off. If 3DTVs were the norm, then I could see no reason why we would not watch 3DTV as normal viewing in the future.

How far off is this from Sky offering as a service?

I asked this directly, technically Sky could already offer it, but there are no plans to. This is a concept, and would almost completely rely on market research, the cost of TVs etc. But, it is there now, ready and working, although there is no guarantee that it would ever become available to us.

Having watched 3D movies in the past, Jaws 3 and as recently as Hannah Montana with my kids, its hard to accept that what we had thought was 3D, is not even a patch on what we actually witnessed on Tuesday.

Sky News Feature: How Sky HD Could Soon Go 3D
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 18-12-08 at 10:37 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: 3DTV from Sky could be a reality in the future

Very cool, but as you say, the real things on this will be the cost of the TVs, the limited amount of 3d programme - cos lets be honest, there's only 30 HD channels at them moment, so it would be a lot let then that, and finally who wants to sit in front of a tv wearing sunglasses all day?

Still, an interesting concept and hopefully one that is worked on in the future

smithyten is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Would this mean that consoles such as PS3 could be linked through the sjy box to give them 3D viewing?

Mj2Day is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I for one won't be joining the 3D revolution as I only have one eye so will be left out of this particular innovation

Sounds good though!

bluesqrl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wokingham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Although this isn't about SKY's 3D... when I was in London I visited The Movieum of London on the South Bank, near Waterloo. They had a Girls Aloud lifesize videoshow when we were in. We sat down in a very dark room and watched a performance by them which was so incredibly life like. It was as thought they were there, very very realistic. Now, I know that isn't the same but, it's 3D holograms...if you're ever in the area, it's well worth a visit..

http://www.themovieum.com/

Girls Aloud Hologram - Sunsilk Advert - Love Machine on Yahoo! Video

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Could have Sky 3D TV by Xmas by looks of it, bet there be the £10 per month fee extra each month.As well as the £10 per month HD subs each month and you are going to have to get a new TV for the job as well.

3D TV by Christmas, hints Sky ? Register Hardware

3D TV by Christmas, hints Sky
      The Queen's Speech... stereoscopically?

By James Sherwood • Get more from this author

9th March 2009 16:46 GMT

Claim up to £100 Cash Back on selected Toshiba laptops

Sky subscribers could be treated to 3D TV this coming Christmas, the broadcaster has said.

The firm’s Chief Engineer, Chris Johns, said that there’s the possibility that homes could “see 3D” by the end of the year and it’s aiming to “build a content library over the coming year”.

Sky’s already claimed to have successfully demonstrated 3D TV at its London HQ. And it said back in January that a commercial 3D TV service “could be launched any time in the next two years”.

3D broadcasts will most likely be available through Sky's existing Sky+ HD platform, the company has since said. Early adopters will have to fork out extra for a new telly capable of displaying the stereoscopic images and special specs to separate out the left- and right-eye views. ®

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I heard a rumour today that Sky can do 3D through the HD box without the need for glasses.

The only real market I can see for 3D TV at the moment is pubs and the viewing of football matches / boxing matches etc when everyone is bevvied.

Seriously, the demo was excellent, but the TV's are way too expensive, and I certainly wouldn't pay for the TV or the extra subscription.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Sky was on Working Lunch yesterday can be view on iplayer link below.They were show casing 3DTV.

BBC iPlayer - Working Lunch: 17/03/2009

Thanks
      Blog Entries

When we went to the demo in December, it was made clear that this was a concept. However, the amount of coverage this is actually receiving since then, I would of thought that Sky are actively looking to launch this.

A couple of stories I have read, would seem to imply an Xmas (or even before) launch of this 3D technology.

Casperuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stepney Green (CLSTE)
      Thanks

I for one would jump all over this faster than a greased Scotsman, went to see Bolt in the local Cineworld and i was very impressed, I've see the demos on TV about Sky+HD3D and i have to say i want it.

all we need now is the PS3 to have a firmware update to allow this and i would buy a 3d TV cos i need a new one anyways!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast