Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

3DTV from Sky could be a reality in the future

This is a discussion on 3DTV from Sky could be a reality in the future within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Some more info on sky 3D FiveFWD - Sky broadcasts Keane live in 3D! in the news blog That's Keane ...

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Re: 3DTV from Sky could be a reality in the future

Some more info on sky 3D

FiveFWD - Sky broadcasts Keane live in 3D! in the news blog

That's Keane the band - not the irate Irish manager and dog-walking enthusiast

Sky is definitely pursuing this 3D technology lark, and if the amount of 3D TVs on show at CES earlier this year was anything to go by, then itís the way forward. So it was no surprise to see the satellite broadcaster filming a live Abbey Road show in 3D!

Sky broadcasted the show, featuring Keane in no less than three different ways. First up, the gig was simulcast via a Hi-Def satellite transponder to a 46-inch 3D HDTV in another part of Abbey Road studios. This was watched by a VIP audience through a standard Sky HD set-top box.

Next up a live broadcast was viewed in a cinema regaled in 3D kit, and finally a live 3D webcast went over the internet, allowing anyone with a set of green and red specs to feel as though the oversized-headed lead singer of Keane was in their bedroom.

What does all this mean? Well, itís further proof that anyone with a Sky HD box wonít have to upgrade to receive 3D broadcasts. Just gonna have to get that 3D TV thenÖ

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Their still using the green/red glasses? I have several sets of the polaroid ones when Beowulf showed in 3d at the cinema.

To my mind 3d will be a fairly niche market and I can't see people running out to get a 3d TV when they have just shelled out for a new HDTV in the 1st place, especially in this economic climate.

Also given that the problems Sky have had with the boxes would you really want a 3d TV that had Sky involved with it in some way?

They should get Video on Demand sorted and leave 3d alone for now.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Captain W is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky BB Unlimited 14.2Mb
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      Their still using the green/red glasses? I have several sets of the polaroid ones when Beowulf showed in 3d at the cinema.

To my mind 3d will be a fairly niche market and I can't see people running out to get a 3d TV when they have just shelled out for a new HDTV in the 1st place, especially in this economic climate.

Also given that the problems Sky have had with the boxes would you really want a 3d TV that had Sky involved with it in some way?

They should get Video on Demand sorted and leave 3d alone for now.
      This is already in 100 Sky employees homes and has been since last December I believe - how close this is to launch, is anyones guess though.

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Another update enjoy.

Sky broadcasts live 3D pop concert ? Register Hardware

Sky claims to have become the first broadcaster to have successfully televised an event in 3D using a domestic 3D-ready TV.

Last night, Sky filmed popular beat combo Keane performing a gig in London’s Abbey Road studios using 3D camera equipment. The pictures were beamed by satellite to a nearby Sky+ HD box connected to a 46in 3D-Ready Hyundai TV and shown to a group of invited guests.

Sky also transmitted the gig live over the internet, allowing the band’s fans to watch along online using traditional red and green specs. The broadcast was also shown on the big screen at a local cinema.

Unfortunately, Sky’s been quick to point out that the broadcast doesn’t signal its impending launch of a nationwide 3D TV service.

The gig was simply “another stage [in] Sky’s ongoing research and development into the technical possibilities and potential for 3DTV in the UK”, the broadcaster said.

Sky has previously told Register Hardware that content availability, rather than technical issues, is what’s holding back a UK 3D TV service.

But Gerry O’Sullivan, Sky’s Director of Strategic Product Development, added that the 3D Keane gig “confirmed that arts programming is another genre which has the potential to benefit from 3D”. ģ

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

And our news here.

Sky User - Sky Successfully broadcast the UK's first live event in 3D TV

I would of published it earlier, but I didn't read my emails on Friday morning

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

figgyp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redruth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Anyone know when the 3d ready TV's are gonna be on sale?
      or if out already, where from?

Cheers

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Closed in favour of this thread. Sky 3D Launches April 2010

figgy, feel free to ask this in the new thread.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12