Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Would you change ISP because of the increase?

Voters
    216. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

136 62.96%
    • No

60 27.78%
    • I don't really care

10 4.63%
    • Not on Sky anyway

10 4.63%
    Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes

This is a discussion on Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I think it is disgraceful that those of us who have been with Sky BB since the very early days ...

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes

I think it is disgraceful that those of us who have been with Sky BB since the very early days are going to be punished by this price increase yet those who signed up in the 6 months leading up to the service in the last six months will be exempt until January 2010.

I like may others out there endured many a hassle getting the service and then subsuquently being ported to LLU. I don't relish looking for a new supplier. I moved house back in April and got Sky in early May, I will miss the 6 month catchment period by 1 month!

I hope Sky rethink their position on the increases or indeed extend the exemption period, I have been a loyal Sky subscriber for over 6 years, and we are being treated very poorly.

I had Sky Talk and moved away from iy when I relasied the extremly high call charges for certain calls to BT. I can't move back to Sky Talk even if I wanted to because I now have a contract with BT for my calls for at least the next 10 months or so I think.

I will no doubt have to stay with Sky BB becuase it will hopefully still be the cheapest LLU package unless other LLU providers get in to my exchange, then I will have a good think about it.

2. Advertisement
      sarah123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01744
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi - I was thinking of going to Sky their TV and leaving BT and stumbled across this site but this news changes things for me: I have called Sky and they have denied any knowledge - where has this come from please, would like to be sure before I change?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The first post of this thread has been posted by Sky to clarify things from our earlier post here.

The only real issues about this is if you don't want Sky Talk or you are an existing Sky BB customer of over 6 months. If you are new to Sky and want Sky Talk, its a no brainer. The broadband is actually very, very good. Its just the changes for existing customers that are bad news. (unless of course we sign up to Sky Talk, whereby our broadband prices would then not increase)
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 19-11-08 at 03:16 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

sarah123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01744
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks - phoned them and they said there are NO changes such happening !!!!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Doesn't surprise me. The facts and what will happen are as in the first post. If you are happy to proceed to sign up to Sky, you know what's coming in March.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I originally only got SkyTalk Freetime to get a deal on a Sky+ box but due to the pricing of some of their calls and their underhanded tactic of blocking of the use of 1280 it didn't last long and I got rid and don't want it back.

Following this latest announcement of what represents a totally unjustifiable 100% price increase for me and the unfair way in which they intend to implement it I think it's now time to give Sky a swift kick in the nuts and remind them who actually made their broadband a success in the first place!

.....and we all thought the energy companies were robbing gets!

.....looks like O2 here we come!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Thanks - phoned them and they said there are NO changes such happening !!!!
      According to the letter only those joining on or after 25/11 will be told of the changes. Maybe if you phone next week their information will have caught up with the Forum's. But then, knowing how Sky operate they probably will not inform their front line for a year or two.

New customers joining Sky Broadband from the 25th of November will be told about the planned changes when they sign up.
      If you sign up this week you will be able to take advantage of this para.-

Customers who have taken up Sky Broadband in the 6 months prior to the 25th November - and are not signed up to Sky Talk - will be exempt from the price changes until January 2010.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Lets be honest here, Sky will not care about existing customers, they never have and they never will.

Unless a substantial number left in one block giving the same reason they wouldn't even notice.

Not only will I no longer be recommending sky BB to anyone, I will be actively telling them to steer clear due to sky's stance of 50% - 100% price increases with little to no justification.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Thanks

I am sure Sky did a full cost benefit analysis of this before announcing this, without having access to their numbers and making a couple of estimations I estimate they need something like 250,000 - 500,000 people to leave their broadband before they make a loss, which is a huge number.

Even if that many people walked out on them they could most likely make all of those numbers back by selling the spaces on the LLU relativly quickly.

The only problem I can see is that if their numbers stagnate that the target of 3 million broadband customers by 2010 will not be met and that won't go down well with the market.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Do you mean compared to Sky?
      • Speeds same or higher (in my experience 10% higher)
      • Downloads are subject to "fair usage" but O2 say they have never needed to apply it so far
      • No throttling
      • Customer Care is 24/7, UK based, free 0800 number and in my experience, calls are answered in less than 5 rings
      The problem is there is no guarantee that this will be the case going forward. Sky's actions (whilst annoying as they are) are probably the first of a wave of disappointing changes coming from LLU ISPs.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast