Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Would you change ISP because of the increase?

Voters
    216. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

136 62.96%
    • No

60 27.78%
    • I don't really care

10 4.63%
    • Not on Sky anyway

10 4.63%
    Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes

This is a discussion on Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian All 3 packages are now going to have heavy competiton if you don't have Sky ...

ippylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      All 3 packages are now going to have heavy competiton if you don't have Sky Talk.

Base for 5 with a 2 meg/sec connection and 2 Gig download limit is getting to be pretty similar to the mobile broadband pay as you go packages with the dongles

Mid and Max are going to slug it out head to head with O2, with O2 having free technical help phone number, ability to use your own router, actual customer service (O2 has insane customer retention rates on the mobile phone side due to excellent customer service).

I know that the broadband was heavily subsidised but I can't see the broadband numbers growing particulary fast now that the pricing has jumped up so much.
      Having moved from o2 you think their customer service is any better? Well not what I saw also o2 LLU is not in the same exchanges as Sky/Easynet so again not always possible to swap.

Even with Sky Talk on Max, my broadband bill is still way lower than some other ISP's such as Idnet. Customer service is not that bad at sky and we all need to think you get nothing for nothing. With the rate that o2 and sky are getting people to join something has to give to keep the service as good as it can be and without somthing changes. And before you all jump ship you may want to look at Be & o2 Forums around the internet to see they also have issues... like DNS and speeds...

So on a personal note from me, the price increase is not the reason I would choose to move from out of the frying pan into the fire... I would only consider moving if service levels dropped... but thats my thoughts!!!

O2 (they said my line could only handle these speeds)

Date Downstream Upstream IP Address Connection
      19/06/08 21:04 4526.01 Kbps 371.02 Kbps
      18/06/08 13:31 5403.98 Kbps 371.07 Kbps
      13/06/08 22:27 4919.01 Kbps 371.95 Kbps
      11/06/08 23:11 4628.05 Kbps 364.45 Kbps

Sky (Current ISP)

Date Downstream Upstream IP Address Connection
      22/09/08 23:42 7631.81 Kbps 634.58 Kbps
      05/09/08 11:20 7711.44 Kbps 635.67 Kbps
      04/09/08 12:52 7716.46 Kbps 638.05 Kbps

Idnet (Excellent customer service but up and down speeds, and costly)

28/08/08 16:27 4653.76 Kbps 694.80 Kbps
      27/08/08 19:31 4019.54 Kbps 694.41 Kbps
      15/08/08 14:19 5917.61 Kbps 690.85 Kbps
      14/08/08 16:35 6542.81 Kbps 688.07 Kbps
      Last edited by ippylad; 19-11-08 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added ISP speeds

2. Advertisement
      Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

I have Sky Talk unlimited, it suits our usage, and as an introductory offer I got the first 12 months rental free. I'll reconsider next October when this expires, but as we don't have an O2 mobile it may not work out cheaper. (How about an Orange user forum? I agree that large increases like this are unfair, but the prices that are currently being charged are unsustainable, this is an issue that will polarise users.

Sidi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01554
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It doesn't really effect me, I have Sky Talk and am on Connect, but if I didn't have sky talk then I would feel aggrieved. So far I'm very happy with Sky, which can't be said for other providers like BT, also the full Sky sports package, broadband, talk and rental compared to BT Vision with their broadband and call packages is saving me 15 to 20 a month.

But these companies need to start looking after their loyal customers - when I left BT to join Sky I gave them the chance to talk me into staying and they said they can't offer anything. Once I'd ordred Sky and cancelled BT they say 'we can offer you 10 per month off what your paying!'. This was half an hour after they said they couldn't do anything. Loyalty should count for something, instead of people switching providers which wastes time, effort and a total waste of equipment by having to change routers every 12 to 24 months.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ippylad View Post
      O2 (they said my line could only handle these speeds)
      Presumably you were on O2 Home Access (Connect equivalent) as in September you said:

Quote Originally Posted by ippylad View Post
      I have went over to sky max a few weeks ago, prior to my move to sky I was on a BT max product and syncing and getting the highest profile for a 8mg service with no errors.
      If so then you're comparing O2 BT ADSL Max with Sky ADSL2+ LLU. Hardly surprising there was an improvement.

And if you were syncing at "the highest profile for a 8mg service", how come the stats you just posted don't show that?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey Mr SuperMod....

Those stats were taken from Thinkbroadband speedtest, and you have just made me look and feel like I am writting utter bull so if you wish I am more than happy to supply to you in a private message my user log on and password so you can check.

As for the comment about o2 and adsl max, that is what o2 told me. And again I have the letter to prove it. At first I used an o2 router that was supplied and I was told that I was on o2 Connect at 17.50 a month. Then one weekend I had issues with one of my lines ( I have 3 just to clear that up) o2 refused point blank to send openreach out and they said " your line is operating at full with no error" and I accepted this. It was only when I had issues on the voice part of one of my lines I paid for an openreach visit myself and had a filtered faceplate fitted. The fault was at the green box at the end of my street. After the visit I called o2 and the gave me a deadlock letter that allowed me to move.

As you will see from the recent post, I made no comments on speed... I made comments on price, customer service and DNS issues. I did not feel the need to tell everyone the full story or indeed my bowl movements!

But while we are on about speeds.... and ADSL max speeds

Idnet offers an adsl max product, which did offer better speeds than o2 even when not consistant always still above o2. And before you asked, I moved to sky due to Idnet not offering a consistant service level for one reason or another (mainly BT related) idnet in past months suffered several issues such as email, dns and bandwidth.

O2, in MY VIEW again as I said gave ME poor customer service and were not prepared to investigate an issues. So as I stated in my post... o2 customer service may not be better and just becuase it is cheaper will offer a better service. I also said to view other forums before making a jump to another ISP.

To those reading this, who are not hung up on power... my post was not about speed but service levels, and in short if your ISP is performing and you are happy with it ... moving ISP to save a few quid can not always get you the same speeds or service.

And again forums are for people to put personal views and comments. Whilst I appreciate the need to clarify things this can be done in a much more simply and effective way rather than making people not want to post anything. Then being a supermod will mean nothing!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry - I wasn't trying to suggest anything at all or question your views.

It's just that I found your post confusing, hence the confused smiley. If it came across as anything other than that then I apologise.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am not going to drag this on, but you brought comments from other post that were not related today to this post. As moderators often say... broadband can change as can the conditions on your line or even service levels. We trust what an ISP tells us, and as we are not always tech enough to know if this is right or wrong we use that info and in my case post those comments on. Its when we come to user friendly forums that we find either conflicting info or enough info to allow users to make an impartial choice and that was my reason for not putting the whole story... I did not want to sound like I sided with Sky or O2.

And whilst I (and other appreciate) the mods trying to keep things factual that was a little off considering I never said anything about speed.

Back to the subject....

To end my overall comment dispite my rant lol ....

was that dont move to another ISP expecting the same same service, speeds just becuase it maybe cheaper or expensive... find and ISP that works and stick with it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

But half your post was you quoting speeds from three different ISPs.

As I said, I found your post confusing so asked a question (were you comparing speeds like for like) referring to a post you'd made earlier. Not to embarrass you, but for clarity. I'm not sure how that's an abuse of power or being a mod.

As this post is going off topic, can we leave it here? I've apologised for any misunderstanding and you can PM me if you wish to discuss this further.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There are two issues to this that have really brassed me off, although I believe that Sky are just one of the first ISP's to start putting their prices up.

1) The lack of Sky's ability to understand that I don't want Sky Talk, for various reasons, as highlighted on this forum, the 1280 reason being the main one. If I did want Sky Talk, I would already have it.

2) The total oversight of the existing customers. Why should someone who has only recently joined in the last six months, be exempt until Jan 2010? Where as those of us since, nearly day 1 are not. If the option of having a credit until January 2010 was there for everyone, including existing customers, it would be a lot easier to swallow, and would convince me not to look elsewhere.

The increase, I suppose I could live with, especially if other ISP's were to raise their prices. But, I feel it could be done fairer. If all those customers who have been with Sky BB longer than six months were also exempt until January 2010, or that there was, no exemption period for anyone.

As for the new prices, any new customer from the 25th November, has the choice to join Sky BB or not, with the full knowledge of the price increases.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,581 Posts

Nodrog wrote
      whats so bad or good about skytalk freetime ? as its free and would stop the 5 increase
      It is free at certain times, but can be very expensive outside the 'free time'. I find paying 5 for Unlimited Talk suits me fine. My wife has several relations in Canada and the saving on calls to them alone, makes it a bargain.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast