Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Would you change ISP because of the increase?

Voters
    216. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

136 62.96%
    • No

60 27.78%
    • I don't really care

10 4.63%
    • Not on Sky anyway

10 4.63%
    Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes

This is a discussion on Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Old_nick For me, it's not about the price, because I can easily afford £5 a month - ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      For me, it's not about the price, because I can easily afford £5 a month - it's about the way that Sky have chosen to do this. I have been a loyal customer of Sky almost from the start of their satellite service, which is about 20 years I think, but I see this as nothing short of blackmail. I'm so disgusted, that I'm seriously considering removing the Sports and Movies packages which I rarely watch purely out of spite, as well as switching to Be for my broadband. As far as I'm concerned, you don't reward loyal customers with a blackmail letter
      Being a loyal customer means nothing in todays cut-throat comercial world. Sky are playing a numbers game and they need lots of customers to take all their services so they can show healthy growth when the next set of company results come out. They are well aware that many will not like the way this increase will be introduced, but there are no doubt many others wating to sign up to Sky.
      If you want to cancel your Sky services, then feel free, as a consumer that is your right, but I doubt if Sky would care if half the members on this site did the same.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhizzz View Post
      well 02 is now active on my line . . . had the upload to over 1mb . . . . and lots of disconnections
      If you're only just connected then you're in DLM. This lasts for up to 15 days depending on line condition. When it is finished you'll get a text and email from O2 to tell you. If you're not happy with how DLM sets your line at the end of this then you can call them up (0800 number) and ask for it to be changed. They'll normally do this immediately and without quibble other than tell you your line will be less stable if they change it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhizzz View Post
      dont know how to get the detailed stats outta the router yet
      You need to log into the router's "secret" Superuser account. You'll find details on O2user.
      Last edited by Saturday; 21-11-08 at 10:11 AM.

julessandra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ashton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Last edited by julessandra; 21-11-08 at 11:54 AM. Reason: dupilcate

julessandra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ashton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BLACKMAIL! Blackmailed into something we donít want to do! Join sky talk no increase donít join and we will screw you! And with the recession round the corner!! Thanks sky thanks very much :-(

Fixer109 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01788
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Smile Re: Update on Sky Broadband pricing changes

Hi!

Just thought I would put my tuppence worth here.

Does anyone remember what happened when British Gas put up their prices - all the other companies said thanks and raised their prices too. So let's wait and see the others jumping on the bandwagon, it won't be long I'm sure!

Secondly, for 0845 & 0870 numbers I use Skype, it's cheaper than all the other telcos and you are not put under a contract. Have a look at their pricing on their website don't just take my word for it. For those peple that have family abroad it's the cheapest way to stay in contact AND you can video talk at the same time AND if they have Skype as well then it won't cost you a penny.

I will taking up Sky's offer and continue to use Skype for most of my calls except 0800 numbers.

So People have think before going into panic mode

niveus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Durham
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

i wouldn't say skype are cheap for 0845/0870:

United Kingdom-Shared Cost-0844 £ 0.067 £ 0.077
      United Kingdom-Shared Cost-0845 £ 0.073 £ 0.084
      United Kingdom-Shared Cost-0870 £ 0.103 £ 0.118
      United Kingdom-Shared Cost-0871 £ 0.129 £ 0.148

Skype - International, long distance and local call costs and rates

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Skype were actually quite expensive, or it seems like that when your are using there software, on a pay as you go scheme.
      However the subscriptions are dead cheap, I use the Country one and it is well worth it.

Skipper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

Being a very recent convert to Sky Broadband from BT I have read this thread with interest. On a price basis, I do not believe I am affected as I am on Sky Connect and here the tariff does not change. What I can say though is the Sky Broadband experience has thus far been much, much better than BT - faster and no line drops. So I am, as they say, a happy bunny. Not so sure about Sky Talk though, especially as I have also moved my line rental, so I will keep an eye on it and see what happens - we are not a heavy user of the phone anyway. That said, if I did want to move my line to another provider, or back to BT, how would I go about it?

As for those directly impacted by this price hike, well, I can understand the frustration. I wonder though how many Sky customers are actually complaining (have even noticed) and will move as a result. Not enough to even cause a ripple in the Sky boardroom, I'll wager. Think of BT and what has gone on there - they have not changed and are still in business!

The arguments, points and advice coming out of the helpful people on these forums is noted, understood and welcome. This forum, informed though it is, is probably representative of a small proportion of Sky Broadband users only and on that basis I would be surprised (pleasantly) if the powers took any real notice of any pleas submitted. Some people will vote with their feet, but I doubt there will be enough to make Sky take note.

All that said, without this forum and those like it, there would be nowhere to go to get the views of "the people". Keep up the good work and let us hope that other not so enlightened as ourselves will catch on and swell the membership. Undoubtedly, the big corporations would rather this was not the case as they feel they can ignore the minority without impacting market share significantly.

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Thanks

If you are on the connect package, I would assume you would not have seen much improvement in terms of speed. I mean for connect users the only difference is the router which sky give you, but it could give you a better connection.

Just incase anyone was looking for some information about going to O2, sign-up is fairly easy. Ring Sky get you MAC code. You can call O2 and they will setup the account, but they wont do anything to the line until you provide them with the MAC code. After that they will give you an activation date and your broadband will be down for a few hours before the O2 BB is active simple. Meanwhile the router and other information would have been sent to you after you provided the MAC code.

Skipper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naza911 View Post
      If you are on the connect package, I would assume you would not have seen much improvement in terms of speed. I mean for connect users the only difference is the router which sky give you, but it could give you a better connection.
      This is getting a little off topic but I have seen a speed improvement. I never really expected anything but I got it nevertheless. I used to suffer lots of interference on the line and telephone calls would sometimes break up - not so now. I'm no telecoms engineer but perhaps it is because the router is better.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast