Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sky Broadband Price Changes - March 2009

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Price Changes - March 2009 within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; What a surprise, Sky recently ring fence you into their expensive voice network (no Indirect Access Calls) then when you ...

Maggsy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bristol South
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Price Changes - March 2009

What a surprise, Sky recently ring fence you into their expensive voice network (no Indirect Access Calls) then when you leave Sky Talk they surcharge the broadband price by a fiver if you donít subscribe back to the damn thing.

Sky, if you charged a reasonable rate for calls especially 0845/0870 then Iíd happily have stayed on Sky Talk but your rates (asat 17-11-08) are frankly (even compared to BT) a rip off:

0845----------------Daytime ----Evening/Night
      Sky 7p connection + 6p/min.--------6p/min.
      BT 6p connection + 2p/min.--------Ĺp/min.

0870----------------Daytime ----Evening/Night
      Sky 7p connection + 10p/min.-------8p/min.
      BT 6p connection + 06p/min.-------1Ĺp/min.

This surcharge will not pressure me to come back to Sky Talk in fact the opposite effect, come the price rise Iíll also take my Max broadband to o2/Be for example and get it cheaper so your greed has cost you £15pm for BB and around £5pm for lost call charges, anyone in marketing listening?, Iím sure Iím not the only customer planning this if you carry through.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Brian, you are confusing me tonight
      I think i know what you mean, that sky dont sell bb / talk on their own, we are still paying for it which is in effect buying it from sky. We dont have to, we could still subscribe to the tv and buy the bb elsewhere.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Maybe next they will double the price of their TV subscription if you don't take Broadband and Talk

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Sorry it was a badly written post. What I ment was that tv is the gateway product, Sky have to get you to have this first before they sell BB, they don't sell BB or phone services on there own. So in a sense, they never provided free BB, (base) but BB as part of the tv package. If you want better/faster BB then you pay more, its still part of the tv package.
      Sky want us all to take the full package they offer because it makes it much harder to change provider and customer interia means that, while some may moan about the phone/bb/tv, not many would leave. Keeping seperate providers where you can maintains maximum flexablity.
      Sky know this so they adjust their subscription packages/prices to make them attractive to customers who want everthing. Thats prob why the increase has been posponed for HD/Multiroom customers they assume that with a little push we could be persuded to take the phone bit as well, and it reduces the chances of increased churn
      Last edited by Brian69; 17-11-08 at 09:51 PM.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

by 2010, i will not be in contract with bt but hopefully Q2 i will have 21CN in the exchange so ,if sky dontprovide then , well bt will be the option

aspect is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

An increase from £0 is an infinite increase ( not infinitesimal BTW ). ISTM that with FS at their heels they cannot be sure that increasing TV or recording subs is such a sure way of miklng the customer.

DJS Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Yes, that thought occured to me too.
      I think it's an infinte % increase I'm glad I moved to O2 BB. I won't be taking Sky Talk, my BT bill is very cheap on a monthly basis. Sky are being just their normal greedy selves.
      Last edited by DJS; 18-11-08 at 09:54 AM.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

It looks like the heavily subsidised days of broadband for Sky are coming to an end.

It looks like they set aside x million quid for getting as many customers as possible onto their product and then reduce the subsidy from the TV on the broadband.

Now that they want to grow the phone side the subsidy looks like it's moving to the phone.

It's what happened in the early days of Sky with the newspaper side of News International subsidising the TV for something like 5 years.

But I feel that Sky are missing a trick, a lot of people (including myself) don't want Sky talk, I have the top end BT call package and line rental which sets me back £18 / month and after the horror that was Sky taking on the broadband I refused to even consider the phone side.

If this correct then the price increase will see the mid and max prices go head to head against O2/Be and even the BT rebadged product from the other ISP's and O2 are converting exchanges even faster than Sky now as my parents rural exchance has been LLU by O2 with no date planned by Sky.

Sky are hoping that people will see the price increase and either take the phone or the price increase and not bother moving ISP, I think they have a nasty shock coming.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post

But I feel that Sky are missing a trick, a lot of people (including myself) don't want Sky talk,

Sky are hoping that people will see the price increase and either take the phone or the price increase and not bother moving ISP, I think they have a nasty shock coming.
      Agreed on both counts. Dont Sky read the papers or watch their own news? There is a credit crunch and people are looking to save money. If this goes ahead then I will be cancelling sky sports to compensate, I will be £15 a month better off and Sky will be £15 worse off. If come March they destroy my connection with DLM i'll be off to BE and still be £12 a month better off.
      And thinking a bit further about it why would I need the basic TV package then ?

Sky are just being greedy, dont forget their TV subs will no doubt be going up again soon, a 10/20 % increase would have been reasonable, increases of between infinity and 100% in my opinion arnt.

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Thanks

i hate sky when they do this

my mum is paying 52 quid a month already! and we dont even get any decent tv ...

when im 18 in march ill be taking over the broadband anyway meaning ill pay for it so i say what isp we go with and if sky kill my connection with DLM im going o2 because im a o2 payg customer already so it will be 7.50 a month plus you can use your own router!....

sky are all good at convincing but when it comes to coming up with the goods sky dont like to do this...

i mean when i moved from bt to southern sky gave me grief! saying that they were gonna cut me off! dumbarses... hello sky im still on a bt enabled line you retards!...

another thing that annoys me that in these hard times they expect us to be able to afford it... if sky are not careful they might end up like XL....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast