Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

BSkyB and Virgin Media Sign New Channel Carriage Agreements

This is a discussion on BSkyB and Virgin Media Sign New Channel Carriage Agreements within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Breakthrough for pay satellite and cable customers as carriage of "basic" channels secured until June 2011 Sky and Virgin Media ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

BSkyB and Virgin Media Sign New Channel Carriage Agreements

Breakthrough for pay satellite and cable customers as carriage of "basic" channels secured until June 2011

Sky and Virgin Media (NASDAQ:VMED) today announced that, following successful negotiations, they have agreed two new channel carriage deals.

The first agreement will see the return, on 13 November, of Sky's Basic channels including Sky1, Sky2, Sky3, Sky News, Sky Sports News, Sky Arts 1, Sky Arts 2, Sky Real Lives and Sky Real Lives 2 to Virgin Media's cable TV service. The second agreement provides for the continued carriage of Virgin Media TV's basic channels Living, Living 2, Bravo, Bravo 2, Trouble, Challenge and Virgin 1 as part of Sky's retailed channel line-up on satellite. Both deals will run concurrently until 12 June 2011.

The agreements include fixed annual carriage fees for the channels with both channel suppliers able to secure additional capped payments if their channels meet certain performance-related targets.

Commenting on the agreements, Virgin Media's CEO, Neil Berkett, said: "We are pleased to bring our carriage negotiations with Sky to a successful close. I believe this agreement represents a fair deal and is the right thing for our customers. We recognise the quality and popularity of Sky's channels and look forward to welcoming them back to Virgin Media's TV service. We are also pleased to secure Sky's continued carriage of the VMTV channels until June 2011."

Jeremy Darroch, Sky's CEO, adds: "This is great news for Sky and Virgin Media customers alike. We want our channels to be enjoyed by as many people as possible so we're delighted to secure their return to the Virgin Media platform."

As part of the agreements, both Sky and Virgin Media have agreed to terminate all High Court proceedings against each other relating to the carriage of their respective basic channels.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: BSkyB and Virgin Media Sign New Channel Carriage Agreements

Looking at that channel list I think Virgin got the better deal there.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      The agreements include fixed annual carriage fees for the channels with both channel suppliers able to secure additional capped payments if their channels meet certain performance-related targets.
      I'm not so sure. It mightlook good for Virgin until these kick in. I suppose it does depend what the cap is, but I know which supplier I think is most likely to meet target.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 04-11-08 at 03:45 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

so then,virgin have crumbled,muh ha ha ha ha!