Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sky To Buy Tiscali Broadband?

This is a discussion on Sky To Buy Tiscali Broadband? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I would imagine Sky would start afresh, maybe using Tiscali's kit if it would integrate into theirs. And just reconfigure ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky To Buy Tiscali Broadband?

I would imagine Sky would start afresh, maybe using Tiscali's kit if it would integrate into theirs. And just reconfigure everything from the ground up.

Don't forget Tiscali have their TV over broadband, Sky want to offer VOD, with Tiscali's setup, Sky are well on the way, a bit of dabbling and 3.6m customers have VOD instantly.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      From what I have heard, we don't have to worry about congestion for a long time yet.

VM have more customers than Sky at the moment, with less capacity on their network than Sky have spare.
      Yes we hear that they have higher capacity and as Easynet before the Sky takeover only supplied to business's, I would assume it have a good setup, BUT we don't have any really figures or facts about the bandwidth, and 1.8 Million customers being added onto the network is going to cause some problems, it more than double the total using the network at the moment.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

About 12 months ago or so Sky had 11 Centrals for Connect customers, unofficially.

Plus what they have since brought online, and also what they would gain from Tiscali. Tiscali are running their network, granted with shaping (apparently) but that would somehow be brought into the equation.

Sky wouldn't be offering 'fill your boots Max' if they had capacity issues. Their aim is VOD and without being technically minded, I would hazard a guess that they would need some backhaul for that alone.

Sky's goal was 3 million BB customers by 2010 iirc, therefore you can bet their network would cope with that many customers at least, or if not now, would soon be capable. Add to that Tiscali's LLU and Tiscali's TV setup - that's some additional capabilities added into the equation.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

I would assume that they would be going a way where they can make use of the Fibre that Tiscali's has, as that is probably the most valuable and needs the least reconfiguration. As for making use of the DSLAM's that may be a little harder, particularly, as the lines would work but they would also need a way for CS to make changes to lines and such. They probably would mean an upgrade of the computer systems, god have mercy.

Overall I think sky's offer is still a little to high even against vodaphones, simply because of the extra investment they would need to make, to make it work.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I believe, but don't quote me Tiscali use some of Easynet's Fibre, in the form of rental.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

if sky have now got unlimited max then vod is on its way for every one to watch 24/7 and no download limits to worry about so surely the tiscali side can expand there vod for sky and offer picnic erm tiscali customers smaller packages to lure them to sky , ie use tiscali stuff for loads of hardup people.

Thanks

I wonder if the Tier 1 Lines are also up for sale, some of them are part of the 'UK Operations'

Thanks
      Blog Entries

What's a Tier 1 line?

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

i think is the call centers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      What's a Tier 1 line?
      Tier 1 in the world of the internet is the the Fibre's that lay under the ocean and connection countries to countries, basically connecting everyone one to each other. For Instance:

I want to send a file from My house to someone who is in Paris. My computer send the file to the router, the router redirects it over the phone line to the exchange where it is put on the easynet network. Then from there it is likely to be sent to the London Internet Exchange, from there, there would be a direct fibre link to Paris's Equivalent of the London Internet exchange. The connection between these two internet exchanges will be something like 10Gbps and connect the countries together. The Term Tier 1 actually refers the new and that way it work, by peering basically. Generally these networks are Global, and make the internet, inter-connected.

This article may help:
      Tier 1 network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast