Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More from Sky Movies

This is a discussion on More from Sky Movies within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; In response to your requests for even more high definition movie content, in the last couple of weeks we have ...

Sky Movies Team is offline Sky Movies Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

More from Sky Movies

In response to your requests for even more high definition movie content, in the last couple of weeks we have tripled the number of Sky Movies HD channels by adding six Sky Movies HD genre channels to your current line up. Our new additions Sky Movies Action/Thriller HD, Sky Movies Sci-Fi/Horror HD, Sky Movies Drama HD, Sky Movies Modern Greats HD, Sky Movies Family HD and Sky Movies Comedy HD mean that you can now watch 500 different movies in HD every month.

To celebrate the new arrivals, our Musical Season kicked off this week on the new Sky Movies Modern Greats HD channel featuring 18 high definition musicals. This gives viewers in the UK the first chance ever to sing along to singing transvestites and dancing nuns brought to life in glorious high definition in movies such as The Sound of Music or The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Also this week, in a half-hour special, you can watch Michael Ball talk about his career and favourite musical moments.

If six new Sky Movies HD channels, a musical season and UK HD premieres of some of your most loved movies wasn’t enough, if you haven’t heard already, we have even more exciting news for you. We will be broadcasting LucasFilm’s Star Wars: The Clone Wars exclusively on Sky Movies from the 25th October. For years Sky Movies has been the first place to see Star Wars films on British television, so we're thrilled that this time we will be the first place anywhere that UK fans will be able to watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars. This is Star Wars like you've never seen before, and so it is only right that we are able to broadcast the entire series in high definition.

We’ve been following your feedback on our new channels and would like to thank you for your support, it’s been invaluable in helping us get here.

We also wanted to use this opportunity to address other questions you have raised about our enhanced Sky Movies HD service.

Why do you show older films on Sky Movies Premiere?

Sky Movies Premiere is the first place to see over 90% of the top box office films on British television – and all in high definition. As well as bringing you 5 brand-new first-run films every week on the channel, from this month Sky Movies Premiere will also bring you a UK HD premiere screening of both modern and classic movies every Friday. In keeping with our aim to show something for everyone, this gives you the chance to re-visit a favourite film from recent years,. Over the next couple of months highlights in this slot include: Back to the Future, Austin Powers 2, X-Men and Predator.

Why do you screen upscaled non-HD films on the HD channels?

All the movies that are available to us in true HD we only show in true HD. Currently, that makes up around 80% of the content shown on our HD channels. Those movies that aren’t available in HD we upscale to give you an improved picture quality. For some movies such as The Italian Job and Zulu - we have even worked alongside the studio to remaster the HD versions ourselves. Allowing you to enjoy classic movies in a whole new light.

How do I know when a film is upscaled or in true HD?

To see if a programme you are watching is broadcast in HD, simply press i on your remote control. If you see the letters HD in the information banner, it is an HD programme which has been filmed in HD.

You can do the same (i.e. press i on your remote control) to check this for any programme in the TV listing guide, Sky+ Planner or Anytime TV listing.

As always, keep your comments coming and in the words of Arnie “we’ll be back” to fill you in on more.

Sky Movies Team

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: More from Sky Movies

Would love to see the 'real' star wars back in HD as I hadn't got HD when they were on first time around.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

About time more came online.

Well done

Regards
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Would love to see the 'real' star wars back in HD as I hadn't got HD when they were on first time around.
      Agreed the last time they were shown was the week after the box was installed and for me that is a box seller, if Star Wars in HD was shown at TV shops on a Sky HD box people would be walking out of the store with a new TV and a HD box sign up.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Movies Team View Post

Why do you screen upscaled non-HD films on the HD channels?

All the movies that are available to us in true HD we only show in true HD. Currently, that makes up around 80% of the content shown on our HD channels. Those movies that aren’t available in HD we upscale to give you an improved picture quality. For some movies such as The Italian Job and Zulu - we have even worked alongside the studio to remaster the HD versions ourselves. Allowing you to enjoy classic movies in a whole new light.
      I have to ask, in what way does upscaling SD improve picture quality? It doesn't create any extra detail. I'm all for increasing the HD content and applaud the extra additions.

Exchange:
      Thanks

it does make it better. On my PS3 i can switch upscaling off on DVD playback and the picture becomes less defined when you do. Not as good as HD, but better than normal SD.

Thanks

it does make it better. On my PS3 i can switch upscaling off on DVD playback and the picture becomes less defined when you do. Not as good as HD, but better than normal SD.
      I'll have to take your word for it, but really can't see why. As an old mate used to say 'you can't polish a ****'. You cannot create detail that isn't there.

Exchange:
      Thanks

it increases the pixels and then uses a 'guess' as to what colour the pixel should be to create virtual HD.

Ie SD is 1 big pixel
      upscaled is 4 pixels

in the 4 pixels, the bottom 2 could be one colour and the top 2 another colour so it therefore creates a smoother image.

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Most upscalers will interpolate between two pixels to create a third which is a guess as to the colour and luminance of the pixel which would have been there if it had been filmed in HD in the first place. It may not be accurate (it is only a guess but it is an educated guess in accordance with a complex algorithm) but it is usually better than not having the interpolation at all so this is why upscaled SD pictures look better than SD.

Edit: Reddwarf crew beat me to it........

Thanks

it increases the pixels and then uses a 'guess' as to what colour the pixel should be to create virtual HD.

Ie SD is 1 big pixel
      upscaled is 4 pixels

in the 4 pixels, the bottom 2 could be one colour and the top 2 another colour so it therefore creates a smoother image.
      Thats all very well, but then it goes through an encoder which trys to throw away as much data as it can.

Anyway, as I don't have HD (she who must be feared has other stupid priorities) I can only argue from an uninformed point of view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast