Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A Sky+HD Team Update

This is a discussion on A Sky+HD Team Update within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I had Sky HD installed Wednesday, the Pace box. I have lip sync problems on all HD channels other than ...

paddymcn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02892
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: A Sky+HD Team Update

I had Sky HD installed Wednesday, the Pace box. I have lip sync problems on all HD channels other than Sky's own channels but sound drop out on theirs.

I've also had the box sieze up a number of times leaving me with just a green screen and having to re-boot.

I'm also bitterly disappointed with the amount of actual HD broadcast. I got it in for the sports but have found most of it is just upscaled and my TV does a fairly decent job at that itself. Watching the U21 match last night I could barely tell the difference between SS1 and SSHD1.

That said, when HD works it is pretty amazing. I've enjoyed watching a couple of animated movies and nature programmes but thats not why I upgraded to HD.

I'm going to cancel on Monday and wait for ITVHD and SetantaHD to join the platform. By then the other problems will hopefully have been rectified...

2. Advertisement
      chipman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If a member of the Sky+HD Team reads this message please be aware that you have many dissatisfied customers still experiencing significant lip sync issues on HD channels to this day; even after the so-called S/W fix on the 18th September. Please refer to the following forum to see the extent of the discussion relating to Sky HD lip sync issues:

Lip sync problems on skyhd channels - Page 38 - AVForums.com

An official response from a Sky+HD Team member, to the following questions, would be appreciated:

1) What is being done to fix the lip sync issues?
      2) When (a date) should we (Sky customers) expect a fix, if one is possible via a normal S/W update?

Stefan_Tapp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woolston
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had Sky+ HD installed last week, one of the new Samsung boxes and I get lip sync issues on ALL HD channels, ok so it does vary, sometimes it's not too bad, other times, it's very bad. This happens with 'live' content and playback of recorded content.

Granted, the picture quality is superb and I'm not complaining about the content, even without the movies or sports I still enjoy the HD content, but with the current lip sync issue it spoils the whole experience, like many have said you tend to end up watching the lip movement not the program!

I have emailed Sky CS about it. I'm prepared to sit it out and wait for an improvement, I don't want the box swapped out as I'm aware that all boxes have the issue. What I am reluctant to do is to have to keep paying the 10 a month additional subscription fee until the problems are resolved.

Stefan

mildo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01793
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm with you Stefan, my week-old Samsung box is fine in every regard except for the varying degrees of lip-sync errors on the HD channels. I have a Sky engineer coming out this afternoon to try a Thomson box instead but I think I'll cancel and live with the issue until it's corrected by Sky- assuming, of course, that they are trying to correct the problem and not still spinning the Customer Serrvices line that there is no widespread problem..... :-(

Sibling Chris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leabrooks
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

After the update of 18th Sept, can someone tell me what are the latest software versions my Pace HD box should report please?

Someone on avforums was suggesting this is a patch applied by tier 2 support staff only, so to get it you would have to ring tech support.
      And because its a patch, it would not be reflected in the OS or EPG version reported by the box.

Can anyone confirm this?

thanks
      Last edited by Sibling Chris; 13-10-08 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added another question!

AntiSeptic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

considering upgrading to HD but after reading this post, i would like to know if the lip sync issues are widespread? are the majority of boxes like this? or is it a minority? and if i was to pay 75 + installation + extra 10 a month, would i be doing so with the very real probability that i would have lip sync issues?

If someone from the SkyHD Team could answer Chipmans question, i am sure we would all be very grateful. in this current financial climate there is no way i am splashing out money with no guarantee that the product will work correctly, that would be insane, wouldn't it!?!

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

firstly, the SkyHD offer has a 30 day satisfaction money back guarantee according to the TV ads.

The lipsync mainly seems to affect Pace boxes and has been made better with an update last month, but not 100% fixed.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AntiSeptic View Post
      considering upgrading to HD but after reading this post, i would like to know if the lip sync issues are widespread? are the majority of boxes like this? or is it a minority? and if i was to pay 75 + installation + extra 10 a month, would i be doing so with the very real probability that i would have lip sync issues?
      I've had one of the older Pace HD boxes for over a year now, and I've not seen any lasting lip-sync issues. Sometimes people blame the box, when the real culprit is the TV, because LCD and plasma panels do have a finite processing time, and cheaper ones can be slow. My Pace box has a setting to compensate for lip-sync - I'm not sure if they all do.

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      I've had one of the older Pace HD boxes for over a year now, and I've not seen any lasting lip-sync issues. Sometimes people blame the box, when the real culprit is the TV, because LCD and plasma panels do have a finite processing time, and cheaper ones can be slow. My Pace box has a setting to compensate for lip-sync - I'm not sure if they all do.
      If you have had your box for a year then its a Thomson. They were the only boxes available until just over a month ago.

Dougs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Have already mentioned in the Sky+HD forums, but another with lipsynch issues (Pace box).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast