Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

DLM for all on its way

This is a discussion on DLM for all on its way within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Mine were similar pre DLM then I was capped by about half a meg ( ) and for week after ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: DLM for all on its way

Mine were similar pre DLM then I was capped by about half a meg () and for week after week got disconnects at around 3am and then sometimes more exactly 4 hours later repeated through the day. I had a pause in this for a few weeks then it started again at the end of last month.

Things are very different now.

2. Advertisement
      krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

DLM was a Success.. from the 300,000 that went under it, there wasn't very many people complaining about it.. I think It was less than 6% of people had problems.

By the looks of it, it looks pretty damn good!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krysis View Post
      DLM was a Success.. from the 300,000 that went under it, there wasn't very many people complaining about it.. I think It was less than 6% of people had problems.

So the bottom line is stuff the 18k that we messed up for no reason?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      So the bottom line is stuff the 18k that we messed up for no reason?
      Because of DLM, 2 of our moderators have since changed to different ISPs. They were very technically minded, and were an asset to us and Sky, however, because of the underhanded, lets keep our head in the sand approach by Sky, they have left to pastures new, where incidentally, both have reported better stats, line speeds, and of course no shaping / traffic management, for the same or less monthly payment.

Sky would be wise to not get too big headed or conceited, word travels fast.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 03-10-08 at 08:08 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krysis View Post

Thats a pretty arrogant view, considering sky told none of their customers what they were doing .... thats 0 %.

Thats pretty damn poor customer service !

When you consider that most people who have an internet connection dont really understand how it works and wouldnt notice if things went wrong then its not surprising that only 6% had problems - had they informed all 100% that figure would most certainly have risen.

I think that sky need to think carefully about this next round of DLM as people are now much more aware of what it is/does.
      Last edited by dholdi; 03-10-08 at 01:23 AM.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      sky told none of their customers what they were doing .... thats 0 %.

And that's a very key point

I can't offer anything other than a biased view of Sky's DLM. From my point of view it was a very poor (technical) implementation. Whether overall it was a success I can't say.

What I can do is compare and contrast the communication differences between Sky and O2, my current ISP. Throughout the migration, O2's communication was exemplary. When placing the order I had chosen text communication and got a new text at every stage of the process telling me what was happening from router through to going live. With the router delivery I was able to text back acceptance of the delivery date or change it if not convenient. A couple of days after going live my connection went down. Before I could call O2 support, I got a text from them telling me they had detected this and were working on a resolution. Out of interest I phoned them anyway (0800 number). My call was answered in two rings, this was at peak time, and the agent was very pleasant and helpful and able to tell me what the problem was. As an O2BB customer I can call at any time to request changes to my profile (target nm, interleave etc) and am free to use any router I choose. All in all a great experience and so different from my experiences with Sky.

Oh - and a 10% higher downstream sync, 80% higher upstream sync, higher throughput, lower errors, rock steady connection, same price, hasn't hurt either.

Sorry if this seems a rant. I'm not trying to influence anyone to consider moving away from Sky, there's much good about the SkyBB products/price, but I'm just so bewildered why Sky treats its customers with such contempt.
      Last edited by Saturday; 03-10-08 at 09:15 AM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Thats a pretty arrogant view, considering sky told none of their customers what they were doing .... thats 0 %.

Totally agree and as a Sky employee I hope Sky learnt from this mistake and at least try to contact customers this time about it. 1 email before it all starts would go a long way to helping people understand what is going to happen and what to do.

Thanks

I do agree totally and 100% about the bad move in not telling any of the customers about this process. I was really suprised that nobody knew about what was happening. Not only did the customers but quite a lot of the technical staff didn't know anything about it either.
      We got a brief about it and that was all and that was after DLM started.

I'm just saying that most people here are seeing the down side to DLM and not seeing the plus side of it. From the figures it seems that the tool worked for the majority of people.

From what it seems most people that come on to this forum are coming for help because they are having problems - Thats the main reason for this forum, isn't it?
      Not many people come on here to comment whether they get a good service.
      So the majority of people here will only see the downside to this tool.

As an employee of Sky myself.. Other Sky staff here too will probably agree aswell but it isn't something i'm looking forward to because we will have to deal with quite a few angry customers once this process takes place.. again.

Flame my posts all you like but i'm just saying it seems that most people are just looking at the bad side of this.

(ah how I hope these comments don't come back and bite me in the a$$ LOL)

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Don't take it personly Krysis. I'm sure you are right in that there are thousands of Sky BB customers who had DLM applied to their line and did not know it. There were one or two posts on here that said DLM had improved line performance, but as you say, it is in the nature of a forum like this for people to come with problems and not to say all is fine and dandy!.
      Let's hope that Sky get the full roll out right, for your sake at work, as well as ours, the customers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Don't take it personly Krysis. I'm sure you are right in that there are thousands of Sky BB customers who had DLM applied to their line and did not know it. There were one or two posts on here that said DLM had improved line performance, but as you say, it is in the nature of a forum like this for people to come with problems and not to say all is fine and dandy!.
      Let's hope that Sky get the full roll out right, for your sake at work, as well as ours, the customers.
      I'm more concerned about the customers to be honest, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have a job.
      I don't care if someone is angry to me on the other end of the phone because I can see why and I would be the same If I had some problems with my broadband.
      Just hope everything runs smoothly because it will be less stress for everyone at the end of the day.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast