Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A message from the Sky Broadband Team

This is a discussion on A message from the Sky Broadband Team within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; We have been reading your comments and listening to customer feedback about what you’re looking for from your broadband provider ...

Sky Broadband Team is offline Sky Broadband Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A message from the Sky Broadband Team

We have been reading your comments and listening to customer feedback about what you’re looking for from your broadband provider and we’ve some exciting developments to share with you.

Truly unlimited broadband
      One of the things you’ve told us is that you want “unlimited” broadband to be exactly that - truly unlimited. You’ve questioned why broadband products offering unlimited usage, such as Sky Broadband Max, adopt a Fair Usage Policy (FUP). We’ve taken your comments on board and this month we’ve removed the FUP from our Sky Broadband Max terms and conditions.

What does this mean for you? Well, if you’re a Sky Broadband Max customer it means you’re free to download as much as you want, whenever you want. We think this makes us the first major broadband provider to offer a truly unlimited package.

No speed caps on our network
      Offering truly unlimited broadband is not the only promise we’re making to our customers. We know that another thing you really care about is getting consistent, reliable download speeds. One of the biggest gripes with some broadband providers is the capping of speeds during peak times, otherwise known as traffic shaping.

At Sky Broadband, we have a high-capacity network that is designed to carry huge amounts of traffic without congestion. So our promise to customers taking our Base, Mid or Max products is that we won’t slow down connection speeds at peak times. So whether you want to download a movie at 7am or a music track at 7pm, you’ll still be able to enjoy the same consistent speed. As Sky Connect customers are not on the Sky network we are unable to extend this promise to them.

Great value
      Finally, we want to thank all of the customers who voted Sky the best overall provider in the BroadbandChoices.co.uk 2008 survey - there is no better accolade than our customers voting us into top spot in every category, including ‘good value for money’. We’re grateful for this support and it makes us want to work even harder to give you the quality, value and transparency you’re looking for.

So to sum it up, if you’re a Sky Broadband Max customer you can download as much as you want, whenever you want, at great speeds around the clock and all at a great value price.

So what are you waiting for… get downloading.
      The Sky Broadband Team

2. Advertisement
      jonmacuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Greenock WSGRE
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: A message from the Sky Broadband Team

Well from one of your not so valued Connect cusomters who has been asking for their exchange to be upgraded for about 18 months now I thank you for making my day just that little more crap

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I dont think they value you any less as a customer. Unfortunately no one seems to know the criteria used to decide which exchanges are unbundled when. However, I'm sure there must be a financial motive in there somewhere and as someone else mentioned (thing it was isitme ) there being a cable prescence in your area might be it. Although saying that I'm also in an area with cable prescence and have been unbundled for nearly 2 years now

jonmacuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Greenock WSGRE
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Yeah methinks its a bit of a lottery the ole name out of the hat scenario

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

It is surprising as your exchange does have LLU presence and a hell of a lot of users too.

Samknows Broadband - Greenock (WSGRE) Exchange

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonmacuk View Post
      Well from one of your not so valued Connect cusomters who has been asking for their exchange to be upgraded for about 18 months now I thank you for making my day just that little more crap
      A lot of us would like there exchange upgraded, I live very much next door to mine.

Do you realise how much it would cost to do this ? mmm competition time me thinks

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As I understand it, it has a lot to do with the exchange itself. To put in LLU equipment, the exchange needs extra space for both the LLU equipment and the extra air-con to keep the room cool. Some exchanges are just not big enough to accomodate LLU at this time, but equipment is getting smaller all the time. Also, the issue of backhaul to Easynet's backbones must be a consideration too. And, of course, the number of Sky subscribers living within the exchange boundaries will also be a prime consideration.

TRIaXOR™ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSDRU
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Great news indeed, but to be honest, will this be a double edged sword? great for all us 'Linux Lovers' but wont this bring in the 'lets download the internet' brigade? if so, will Easynet keep up with the influx by constantly upgrading the network to meet demand? if not, the speeds will suffer (this happened with bulldog as C&W refused to upgrade the network to match demands) scary stuff indeed