Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sky MAX Broadband, is Truly Unlimited

This is a discussion on Sky MAX Broadband, is Truly Unlimited within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Oh come on Hazel!, you know as well as I do that no ISP is going to say "here is ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky MAX Broadband, is Truly Unlimited

Oh come on Hazel!, you know as well as I do that no ISP is going to say "here is a BB connection and you can download as much as you like, when you like and we will take no action even if you hog the network"
      Skys move is as close as most will ever get to an unlimited connection, it costs peanuts, so what is the problem.

2. Advertisement
      The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doom View Post
      Problem with an announcement like this they probably will. I hope they don't slow us down too much.
      This is my fear and it has happened to quite a few ISP's over the years and at the end of the day because of the brainless few it effects the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Skys move is as close as most will ever get to an unlimited connection, it costs peanuts, so what is the problem.
      Its close as possible yes but still costs money to the ISP itself. As my comments above, I hope the high downloaders stay away (stick to Entanet) and leave us happy people alone.

Regards.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky are in this to make money, and if this move attracts more customers to their BB service ( and hence tv as well) they will veiw it as a success. If then then have to slow down through-put, they will. It will be sad

sebbywebby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Golders Green
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: SKY+HD
      Thanks

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I moved from AOL a couple of days ago and sky is the best isp ever

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel Cottrell View Post
      Hello Ged,

<<<<snip>>>>

Only time will tell…
      Welcome aboard, thanks for publishing my comment and also taking the time to register and post on here.

Yes I may be being a little cynical!
      Cool - and not afraid to say it.

But my point is, that Sky does still have somewhat of fair use policy. Only now it is within their terms and conditions.
      Yes to protect their network against people who abuse it. I read that as things like email spamming or FTP on your home connection, virus's etc

As for physically using it yourself for doing normal things, there are no limits.

It’s great that Sky now says you can download “as much as you want, whenever you want”, this is definately a positive, but I think it’s important to note that they do still reserve the right to “restrict your online activities” if your downloading is considered excessive.
      You have highlighted a part of the T and C's "restrict your online activities" but forgot to include the relevant part after it, which is, "via Sky Broadband where such activities may have a detrimental effect on other customers' quality of service and it is reasonable for us to do so (e.g. sending "spam" Messages (see Condition 4(b)) or hosting a website)."

Sky.com - Sky Products>Broadband>Terms and Conditions

As you can see, nothing about downloading.

So where will they will draw the line between acceptable and excessive? How much would you have to download to have a “detrimental effect on other customers’ quality of service”?
      I would assume the abuse department would do that. Note, they that they say 'restrict' - If you have a nasty virus, and that is trying to spread across Sky's network, that would be a good example of having to control or restrict a person's connection.

Same goes for setting up an FTP site on your home PC, (although Sky state website) All your friends could download off your PC 24 hours a day. The thing is though, its your connection and not your friends. Sky do not say in the contract, "your friends can download as much as you want, whenever you want"

Sky have posted it on here, and DS, stating that Max it is truly unlimited. I have no reason to disbelieve them. They would however look very stupid, when the reports of "I downloaded 3TB in a week and got cut off" start coming in, by doing this, so I guess they mean business.

Sky also state that they will not slow your connection down whilst on Max, there are very few ISP's that will not do that at the moment. This is where Sky have been smart. They know that already.

This announcement is an extra, something that we didn't have two days ago. As far as we all knew, Sky would enforce the download limits, and the FUP at some point. However, we now know that they won't on Max.

For a tenner a month, no one could possibly moan about the value, or the service, (unless of course they are having issues that are not being resolved) Its exceptional value. As well as being exceptionally reliable.

The only real contender for being classed as a threat to Sky, now, would be o2. Its obvious to me that Sky are going to hammer the announcement home in forthcoming advertising.

The cynic in me would say that this announcement is aimed at VM and their upcoming 50MB broadband. What's the point of advertising 50MB if you are going to be traffic managed, so that you could never take advantage of that capacity?

I think the most important point about this announcement, is the fact that Sky announced this, after they announced that the BPI and Six ISP's would be taking part in the warning / educating of those who download illegal content.

Therefore people are unlikely to abuse their connections, for fear of being grassed up to the BPI. After all, as stated thousands of times before, there are only so many different flavours of Linux Distros.

Effectively, leaving the thought in people's heads, that the Sky Broadband customer could get into trouble if they download the internet and other persons' Intellectual Property rights.

Only time will tell…
      Sky will only get bigger now as more and more people sign up to their broadband. I would bet you a thousand pounds, that Sky's infrastructure is also going to get bigger to match.

For a tenner a month, you now have an all you can eat broadband buffet, with no limits, or FUP

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123