Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sky Broadbands Fair Usage Policy

This is a discussion on Sky Broadbands Fair Usage Policy within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; sky have finally released there usage policy and fair usage policy one of the interesting points is the use of ...

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 152
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky Broadband's Fair Usage Policy

sky have finally released there usage policy and fair usage policy

one of the interesting points is the use of p2p, sky only mentions....
      keep your use of file sharing software (including peer-to-peer) and uploading and downloading of very large files reasonable.
      this does seem to be pretty fair as we have already mentioned that limits of 100Gb have been knocking around.

if you do go over the top then this will happen AGAIN which does seem very reasonable....

If, in our reasonable opinion, you have breached this FUP, we will contact you by email to let you know that that your usage is excessive and is affecting the Sky Network and/or other users.

If after we have sent you the first email your usage continues to be excessive, we will contact you again by email to ask you to reduce you usage. If after a reasonable period of time your usage still remains excessive then we may do one or more of the following things by notice in writing:
      (a) impose a monthly usage cap on your use of Sky Broadband which you must not exceed;
      (b) pair your use of Sky Broadband with other users in the same excessive usage category as you;
      (c) charge you fair and reasonable costs for your usage (and any reasonable administration costs) in excess of your Usage Cap;
      (d) suspend your use of Sky Broadband for the relevant month; or
      (e) end your Contract in accordance with Condition 11 of your Contract.
      rest of the policy is here.

whats your opinion on this FUP or anything else in the usage policy ? i feel this is a very lenient policy designed to give the use as much freedom as possable without any strict conditions.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 18-08-06 at 08:20 PM.
      "To help would be a great adventure"
      Listen to the all new 24hr SkyUser Radio http://www.skyuserradio.co.uk/

Come join us for a game @ TeamSkyUser

2. Advertisement
      Warp Man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      So it doesn't actually say what their FUP is then , we still have a rumours.

Well, I download from about 10pm - 9am each night...so if that's too much...then stuff it. It's fine with my current ISP FUP...let's hope Sky are the same.

But if it isn't, I'm there.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warp Man View Post
      So it doesn't actually say what their FUP is then , we still have a rumours.

Well, I download from about 10pm - 9am each night...so if that's too much...then stuff it. It's fine with my current ISP FUP...let's hope Sky are the same.

But if it isn't, I'm there.
      on the MAX pakage there is no download limit, they just saying if you take the mickey then they will inform you 2 times then on the third take action
      it is widely accepted that a reasonable amount of downloading a month is around 100GB per month.
      hope this clears it up a bit

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      100gb a month i feel is more than adequate, actually i download less than 5gb a month. Am i sad or am i just not finding the right sites to download from?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Warp Man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I agree 100gb a month should be more than adequate, but it's not really acceptable to have an unadvertised limit such as that on a product advertised as 'unlimited'.

If 100gb a month is the general guide ot FUP then it's not really a FUP, it's another usage cap.

Sky would do far better to say, don't use P2P or download excessivly (e.g. non stop) between 'these hours' ( would peak time, and in the day), but after 10pm until 9am you can download as much as you can. That is what a FUP should be about.

OhNoes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sidcup (LSSID)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      It's hard to say what a reasonable amount of bandwidth would be for the Max product, because they don't make their definitions clear enough. To them, "very large files" could mean 700mb xvids while to users it might mean a 4.5gb DVD. If they're going to offer 16mb broadband then they need to be prepared for the amount of bandwidth which people are going to start using and should state clearly what's acceptable and what's pushing it. I used 173GB last month and have used 13GB this month, and it'll probably reach around 130GB come the end of the month.

I had a bunch of questions to ask the Sky broadband team about their FUP, but their feedback portal has been broken for quite a while. At the moment I'm torn between staying with my 2mb real unlimited connection, or going with 16mb Sky with an unclear usage limit. Does anyone have an email which Sky can be contacted at so I can ask these questions?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

there has been a figure of 100 to 120Gb being thrown around as long as you don't do lets say 130Gb every month then you may be ok,

90Gb
      130Gb
      50Gb
      100GB

something like above should be acceptable but we wont know 100% for a few months when people try it

OhNoes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sidcup (LSSID)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hopefully those who do manage to break the FUP will be offered a migration regardless of contract status, like Tisacli does. Last thing anyone wants is to be stuck in a contract with a FUP you can't keep to, and with the added threat of being charged for going over it doesn't sound like you'd want to risk it.

Being paired with other "high usage" users doesn't sound as bad, providing that you're not left with speeds resembling a 1-2mb connection. I could live with a truely unlimited service shared with heavy users if the speed was acceptable.

Nemesis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMHED
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      This has always been my biggest complaint with any ISP. The fact that "unlimited" does not actually mean unlimited and the fact that instead of quoting hard 'n fast figures, words like "excessive" are used. Leaving the customer guessing. I see that people are saying that the general concensus is that the limit is around 100GB but has anyone actually heard this from the horses mouth?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      neiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We have not heard anything about it, the word was if you abused it you would be put on a Bad Boy Pipe (tm) but I don't think anyone has tested it yet.

If they did I am sure someone would post in the Sky unhappiness forum:

"I downloaded the Internet and Sky cut me off"

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast