Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Sky Broadbands Fair Usage Policy

This is a discussion on Sky Broadbands Fair Usage Policy within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; We have revised the download figure, unofficially we have been told it is 250gb...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Broadbands Fair Usage Policy

We have revised the download figure, unofficially we have been told it is 250gb

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      woodface7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As someone nervously approaching the end of their first month's broadband, I read this thread with amusement. Everyone on SkyUser seems to be on Max, while I'm Base in every sense.

For you chaps, keeping under 2gb would be like asking Rik Waller to live on beansprouts.

I've spent several days searching for a program to monitor my usage. If the SkyUser brethren recommend one, I've missed it.

I thankfully avoided downloading 'Net Meter' which turns out to be a nest of malware (shame on cnet/download.com for giving it a platform).
      Many use DU Meter, but this appears to charge after the first month.

I've finally chosen Watch Wan available from:

WatchWAN

and so far I'm delighted with it. BTW,it says it isn't designed to work with wireless adaptors yet.
      (Though it seemed okay on one of our laptops when I tried it.)

NB WatchWan should not be confused with WatchWanIP available elsewhere, which monitors your ip address. Not that I would ever get the two mixed up. No sirree. (Sorry Ossie, see below...)

Anyone know if Sky's 2gb limit includes upstream traffic as well as down?
      Last edited by woodface7; 26-02-07 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Correcting link

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodface7 View Post
      Anyone know if Sky's 2gb limit includes upstream traffic as well as down?
      It is both upload and download. I thought about going for the Base product but I receive and send to many emails plus added to general web surfing and the like, so for me I decided to go for the Base product so I don't have to worry about what I download and upload.

teamfx.kicks-ass is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Beating ISP torrent bandwidth caps via VPN

Purpose:

To explain to a Window's XP user how to get around their ISP's bandwidth cap's on torrents with the use of VPN.

Solution:

Setting up your VPN.

1. Navigate to the following URL - https://www.secureix.com/index.shtml
      2. Click the "sign up" link (at the top of the page) and sign up for a new account (pick a username and password).
      3. Navigate to the following URL - https://www.secureix.com/config.shtml
      4. Follow the instructions on this page in order to setup the VPN connection through Windows.
      5. (Recommended) Right click on the newly created connection on the "Network Connections" screen and select "Properties". Ensure that you select the "redial if line is dropped" option on the "Options" tab.

Ensuring the service is active.

1. On the "Network Connections" screen ensure that the VPN connection is connected. Your regular internet connection should also be working as usual.
      2. Click Start > Run and type "cmd".
      3. Once the command dialog has opened type "ipconfig".
      4. Ensure that you see "PPP adapter SecureIX:" followed by a set of IP addresses. If your regular internet connection is working normally you should also see an additional set of IP addresses.
      5. Leaving the command dialog box open, launch a web browser and navigate to google.com
      6. Search for "IP Checker" and find a site that shows your IP address.
      7. That number should match the value of the field "IP Address" for your "SecureIX" network connection. This company seems to give out ip's in the range of 66.150.80.* - 66.150.100.*.

If the above check matches you are good to go. If not you may have missed a step in setting up the connection. Ensure that the connection is on AND connected.

That is it.

Additional Information:

Linux and Mac operating systems are capable of the same thing. I am sure a quick google will turn up results.

For more information on SecureIX and it's services please visit their webpage.

For more information about VPN PTPP please consult wikipedia

ossie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thanet
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodface7 View Post

Many use DU Meter, but this appears to charge after the first month.

I've finally chosen Watch Wan available from softpedia.com at:

Download WWIP (Watch WAN IP) 1.3 - Watch WAN IP is intended to allow users to monitor the WAN (external) IP address of their personal router/firewall - Softpedia

and so far I'm delighted with it.
      Put me right but surely this program only tells you your IP Address it does not mention your download statistics.

Ossie

woodface7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Ossie,

Thanks for the correction. Two different progs with the same name. Fiendish. Please find corrected link above in Post 42. And here!: WatchWAN

Hmm... how DO you insert a file pic (of the WatchWan traffic log) when the forum's 'Insert Image' only offers to take it from the web?

Anyway, WatchWan gives realtime traffic monitoring, daily down/up/pass-by totals, monthly logs, calculates daily average use and more besides.

And so easy to set up that someone who can't work out how to post a picture can use it.
      Last edited by woodface7; 26-02-07 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Edit to display screengrab. Failed!

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hello

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband's Fair Usage Policy

Quote Originally Posted by SatDish View Post
      sky have finally released there usage policy and fair usage policy

one of the interesting points is the use of p2p, sky only mentions....

this does seem to be pretty fair as we have already mentioned that limits of 100Gb have been knocking around.

if you do go over the top then this will happen AGAIN which does seem very reasonable....

rest of the policy is here.

whats your opinion on this FUP or anything else in the usage policy ? i feel this is a very lenient policy designed to give the use as much freedom as possable without any strict conditions.
      My opinion is this. So far they have a very lenient policy towards subscribers because the userbase is still growing and the network is young.

This is a classic policy designed to pull in as many subscribers as possible in as short a time as possible. Once the number gets high enough and we're all tied into long term contracts then they'll tighten the screws down.

They don't actually state what their FUP parameters are they just state that they have them which means they decide whatever limits they want to set whenever they want to set them and whatever amount they want to set them to. It's totally elastic. As is the definition of "Unlimited Broadband" - in the case of Tiscali at least this means you're unlimited in that you can connect to their service whenever you want to and not as you might think how much you're allowed to download from it!

I predict that everybody that wants to download the Interweb just because they can will sign up, hammer the service into the ground and then we'll all be slammed with heavy caps and/or strangled ports. I've seen it all before unfortunately: at the moment I'm on Pipex until Sky transfers me in the next week or so. I have a cap of 30gb on my 2MB line but I'm lucky if I manage 5gb because Pipex throttle every port imaginable to dialup speeds at times, it's only possible to browse the WWW and download emails - anything else is made impossible so I couldn't come close to my limit if I wanted to. Do they admit to any of this? Do they heck.

Vague FUP's are a sword of damocles hanging over all our heads. People here are complaining about capping but I like it because I know where I stand with them. What I really hate are vaguely worded FUP's because they can shift the goalposts at any time and without warning and without telling everyone. Thats why if theres any trouble I'm off to Zen internet, LLU or no LLU - their policy is clear in that they're not cheap but they have clearly stated caps and no FUP's. I know exactly what I'm paying for and it doesn't include hidden port throttling. It's also a 1 month contract - if they do something I don't like then I can quit whenever I like. Much better.

P.S does anyone actually know what Sky's contract cancellation penalties are?
      Last edited by Chug a Bug; 28-02-07 at 04:51 PM.

freetoview is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just one question, How are sky going to email customers the warning if they have downloaded to much, I also believe that Sky will not keep this up for long as soon as Sky hit a magic number of subscribers they will start to implement much tougher download limits and start shaping bandwidth which is fair as long as it only affects the heavy users, but it wont it will affect all of us and then the price increases will come, I wonder how much people would be prepared to pay for a truly unlimited BB service, 20, 30, 40 per month and I wonder if sky are thinking the same thing

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

the only truly unlimted service is the top NTl/Virgin broadband package, they dont ahve a FUP. Just download all you want.

Dont know where this figure of 250gig a month FU is coming from. But i will say this, I've not heard of a single usage abuse issue since Broadband went active at Sky. Never dealt with one, neither has anyone on several of the teams i work with.

Someone said in an earlier post that Sky dont advertise the FUP, this is rubbish, its on every TV, radio and newspaper advert, its like any other advert, its in the small print at the bottom. the radio adverts even say distinctly 'Subject to Fair Usage Policy'

another thing, someone said its fairly accepted that other ISPs FUP is 100gig a month. Where you getting that from. I got capped for doing 50 gig on an unlimited package with another ISP. It just seems strange to me

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast