Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sky Broadbands Fair Usage Policy

This is a discussion on Sky Broadbands Fair Usage Policy within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I just bought a HDD media player to stick under the TV so I'm downloading vast quantities of the internet ...

markbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey LVWAL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      I just bought a HDD media player to stick under the TV so I'm downloading vast quantities of the internet as we speak. I'll see if Sky want to have a word with me at the end of the month.
      Connection Speed 13753 kbps Down - 766 kbps Up
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db Down - 18.7 db Up
      Noise Margin 7.0 db Down - 11.6 db Up

2. Advertisement
      Ratti3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      yep, i'm one of the ones downloading the interweb.

I'll let you know if anything happens

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Me too!

OhNoes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sidcup (LSSID)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I used 309Gb last month and have used 110Gb so far this month. Haven't had any kind of warning/capping/slowdown so far.

SGit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      this does seem to be pretty fair as we have already mentioned that limits of 100Gb have been knocking around.
      Bit small if somebody decides to download a couple of films per day ... from SKY, don't you think?
      With Sky offering sports & feature films via BB I think we'll have to rely on the above posters to find out what Sky truly consider "reasonable".

"reasonable"!!! A word that can be interpreted to mean different things to different people.

I sure hope I don't get somebody on their "Bad-Day" who considers 5GB per month to be unreasonable.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      "reasonable"!!! A word that can be interpreted to mean different things to different people.
      Like the definition of Plusnet's SOON

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

spcdust is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Personally I reckon that if Sky get too many heavy downloaders (309GB?), we'll all feel the bite on that one.

All ISP's who have so far started out as "Unlimited" always get hit hard by the "I've got to download everything I possibly can because I can" brigade, the ISP clamps down and introduces heavy implementation of the FUP and traffic management and everyone cries foul.

My God, I thought I was a fairly heavy downloader but at 309GB (I hope this figure includes your uploads as well) your computer must be on 24/7. Personally I try and keep some check on it, try and be selective on what I download and do any large downloads during non-peak times. In my mind this is only fair on other users of the network.

Please don't take this personally, we all have months when we may thrash our connection more than others but I've seen this pattern happen before with other ISP's - before you know it we'll all be suffering port blocking, aggressive traffic management etc. etc.

spcdust
      Last edited by spcdust; 10-10-06 at 11:18 PM.

OhNoes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sidcup (LSSID)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The "unlimited" factor is likely a big selling point for Sky. When you offer people a fast connection, they're going to use it; which in turn means you're going to download more simply because you can.

Even if you don't use p2p regularly, there is still lots of content you can view, and when it's all combined it could easily clock up a large amount of bandwidth. Streaming TV, online radio, youtube/googlevideo, apple trailers, Vista testers, etc. Even gaming sites can get you using more than you bargained for. I browsed gametrailers.com for a single night and ended up downloading 2.2Gb worth of content.

They won't be able to sustain their service with the current prices, so I'm expecting a price rise. But even at a higher price, it's a great service with great speeds. Capped ISPs are going to find their userbases declining over time when people decide to switch to something which allows them more freedom over what and how much they download. If Sky were to place a "hard limit" on their max package then I'm betting quite a few people would leave.

Limited/capped broadband has set a poor standard for ISPs who now think it's fine to slap on a 40gb cap onto their packages and price them at ridiculous prices, and customers simply go along with it because they don't know any better. Sky aren't stupid, they know that broadband is now a very marketable business and you can make a killing offering what few other ISPs do.
      Last edited by OhNoes; 10-10-06 at 11:46 PM.

spcdust is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I understand and agree in principle with all your points - I just don't think Sky are going to be the provider that breaks the current UK ADSL model.

I guess downloading 309GB in a month will be the fast track way of finding yourself on the so called "bad boy" pipe and enjoying the speeds associated with that - a pipe I bet you'll struggle to get moved off once they put you on it.

Fingers crossed

spcdust

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I must be an ideal candidate for any ISP I have never managed to dl more than 5gb a month in the last 12 months :-(
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 11-10-06 at 03:15 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast