Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sky And The BPI Announcement - Official Statement

This is a discussion on Sky And The BPI Announcement - Official Statement within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Hi Tom I would say.... If you are not downloading anything whatsoever that you know yourself know is not legal, ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky And The BPI Announcement - Official Statement

Hi Tom

I would say....

If you are not downloading anything whatsoever that you know yourself know is not legal, via torrents or any other avenue, then you would have absolutely nothing to worry about by this announcement.

To be fair to Sky, I think, that they are just doing what is asked of them by the BPI. A thousand letters a week is not even a drop in the ocean. As previously said, I would imagine, that there are more than that amount of illegal downloads per hour on any of the big six ISP's networks.

It was made fairly clear to me during the telephone conversation, that Sky would not divulge any personal details, without a court order. Which is one of the two concerns that we asked Sky about. The other one being, Sky using DPI to process any illegal activity. Again the DPI was ruled out as well.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hey ,

But that's the problem though. How can anyone say that legit users have nothing to worry about? Ok so in the initial trail period, all that can happen is you get a letter or 10. But come October if the BPI have their own way (and why should the BPI be able to say what ISP's should and should not do?) then we would work on a 3 strike system, as they havent ruled this out yet. All they have done is stopped talking about it for the time being.

So if they have a fool proof plan on policing it whereby they ONLY point out illegal users, (the chances of this being the case are highly improbable given that some form of packet inspection would be required to accurately tell), why havent the plans been shared with all of us? Ok I know in depth plans is far fetched as this would give people the ammunition they need to bypass it or research a method, but there is no assurance.

So with no DPI taking place, and it being the BPI that will be pointing users out, how can anyone turn round hand on heart and say that innocent users will get letters?

On the flip side ISP's cannot say they want to outlaw P2P, because as we all know, a lot depends on this now. BBCiPlayer, SkyAnytime (or whatever its called) Skype etc etc.

I just dont think its as clear cut as what they or other people think.And what will happen after october? How will sky accurately tell bad users from genuine users then? If they insist they wont use DPI how can it be done to confirm or rule out a users as being an illegal file sharer or a genuine user? Would they ask them and take that person at face value? Would they send the heavies round to investigate or pass the details to the BPI for them to deal with, in which case privacy goes to pot.

You said that sky will not release the details without a court order. So will the government implement something whereby the BPI have an automatic court order on any suspect offenders?

Again, I think this is just too full of holes to work properly. But thats my opinion.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

stealth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have grave concerns where all this will lead. These ISPs should really tell the BPI where to stick their agreement, after all, they are an internet service provider, NOT internet police. The BPI have really pulled off a master stroke by getting ISPs to agree to do their work for them ( because they probably know how tricky and messy this could all get! )
      What about the service we PAYING customers will get because of the extra workload put onto the ISPs? we're not exactly getting a glowing service compared to some of the leading countries so god only knows what we'll end up getting for our money when this all comes into play. We've all got so many questions which the ISPs can't ( or won't ) give us the answers to, so why did they seem so happy to jump into bed with the BPI and other "organisations" ?

If you have reservations about this scheme I'd urge you to voice your concerns to your ISP asap. My complaint has already been posted and I await SKYs response. This smacks of another desperate attempt by another alphabet spaghetti group to get us all to sing to their tune whilst thinly veiled as "protecting the rights owners"

I wonder how long the infamous six ISPs would continue with this scheme if ( and when ) people begin to cancel their contracts in droves because of a wrongly issued letter or suchlike?
      Last edited by stealth; 13-08-08 at 07:52 AM.
      ST34LTH

BadBoyTC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MROLD
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can they still catch us if we use rapidshare to download?

MarkyMark135 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i would like to no this aswell

does anyone no ???

Thanks

stealth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well i'm only guessing here but without the ISP using DPI whose to say your not downloading legal content? They can see your downloading packets but not whats in those packets. This is where my reservations come in about the whole thing. It's going to turn into another RIAA nightmare, which we could all do without!
      ST34LTH

Shanks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi
      Check out these sites for more information. See what's been happening about this in the US and other parts of Europe. Read the cases documented there and the articles about piracy and copyright. See Ray Beckerman's site (RIAA v People) for technical legal mumbo-jumbo. There's been serious doubt placed on the quality of the evidence these IP harvesting companies provide. Learn your rights!

p2pnet.net
      Torrentfreak
      Recording Industry vs the People
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 24-08-08 at 12:41 PM. Reason: removed link to red flagged site.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123