Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky And The BPI Announcement - Official Statement

This is a discussion on Sky And The BPI Announcement - Official Statement within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; when we get some reports of how they catch people we will just have to find some way to avoid ...

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky And The BPI Announcement - Official Statement

when we get some reports of how they catch people we will just have to find some way to avoid it

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

From what I understand, the BPI will present a list of IP's to the six ISP's per week, of which those ISP's will act on.

Normally the BPI or their enforcement team will monitor the Torrent sites or source of downloads / uploads and capture those IP's using the site / or in the tables reported by the torrent software.

The only downside, to be 100% accurate, as already mentioned, the BPI are going to have to actually download each and every torrent to then open and make sure it is actually the file that is in the title of the torrent. Also I would guess the BPI could also use some kind of test file, and see who downloads it or uploads it, which, could then be classed as entrapment. (although I am not a lawyer and maybe wrong)

No matter what Sky or the BPI do, it is not going to stop illegal file sharing, as others have said, it has been accepted for so long, some people now expect it to be the norm.

The only thing that this will do, is stop those who fear, being caught. For the others it will be business as usual. Sky and any other ISP would potentially be sending millions of letters per month, if the true reality of what we read is believed. Who's going to fund all those stamps, secretarial costs etc?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max VIP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD VIP
      Thanks

"Entrapment" or not, they'll still 'do you' for it if they want to.
      Entrapment isn't a defence in uk law.

http://www.freebeagles.org/articles/entrapment.html
      Personally i think if this is going to worry you then don't download illegal stuff ( and we all know what we mean by illegal stuff )because if you are caught, dont whine about it. If your man enough to do it, then be man enough to take the punishment if ones dished out. Like Newsreader says, the problems going to lie with how they find out if what your downloading is illegal or not.
      Last edited by Russ; 27-07-08 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added link
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

stewart1988 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

"we will not monitor customer behaviour ourselves. We will also ensure that the privacy of our customers is safeguarded and will not pass on customer information to rights owners.

So BPI will be monitoring BitTorrent trackers and log peoples IP's not Sky...
      Aint they been doing this for a fews years anyway? Ive seen people getting letters from Movie/Music companies about them being tracked on an illegal torrent before.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart1988 View Post
      "we will not monitor customer behaviour ourselves. We will also ensure that the privacy of our customers is safeguarded and will not pass on customer information to rights owners.”
      Quite simply, I read that as...

"Sky will not be using DPI to monitor this, and Sky will not pass on our details, without a court order to the BPI"

Which tbh, I am quite happy about.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

HiPing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SELBY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

for the trial we can confirm that we will only contact customers on the basis of those IP addresses provided to us from rights owners - we will not monitor customer behaviour ourselves.
      Call me paranoid, so thats the BPI checking IP addys (as aggreeably stated in stewart1988 latest post) and some 3rd party doing the monitoring.

Thats the way I read it.

grudas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

so if they dont know torrent tracker or dont have the torrent file it self they cant see if you are downloading stuff or not? what about file hostings such as rapidshare, megaupload, speedyshare etc... they cant monitor these? can they?

stealth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Isn't this just another pathetic attempt by the big boys to frighten off the casual downloader?
      And as for Tom Cruise starving, I think he's down to his last $400m so I dread to think how he's gonna feed his new baby.....
      ST34LTH

Martin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Greyfriars
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stealth View Post
      Isn't this just another pathetic attempt by the big boys to frighten off the casual downloader?
      I think this will frighten most people from using any P2P site, including those which purport to have legal downloads. Azureus set up the Vuze.com website to clean-up torrent downloads and appear to have strict anti-piracy anti-copyright-infringement policies in place. The BPI says "The best way to avoid legal risk is to uninstall filesharing software and by buying music legally. In any event, internet users should immediately remove the sharing feature on any peer-to-peer software they have installed." Does that include the Kontiki P2P engine used for many legal video-on-demand services? How can a user check whether a site operates legal downloads? Neither the RIAA or BPI publish a list and there is no certification scheme.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I am very interested int he last paragraph.

“We are in discussions with rights owners about how a notification trial might best deliver insight and inform future frameworks. However, for the trial we can confirm that we will only contact customers on the basis of those IP addresses provided to us from rights owners - we will not monitor customer behaviour ourselves. We will also ensure that the privacy of our customers is safeguarded and will not pass on customer information to rights owners.”
      That to me says that during the trial (till october) we wont have our details given away just like that. But come october, provided they dont have an uproar on their hands, its a free for all on details.

One thing I am still keen to know. How are they going to determine illegal downloaders from genuine users?? P2P does offer a lot for genuine use as well as illegal users. If its purely in who uses it, then thats a lot of innocent users being targetted.
      If its on file sizes, then again thats a lot of genuine users. Obviously they cant do file types as encryption would prevent this unless DPI was in use. If DPI was being used then the connection would be affected and things would slow down.
      Even if they could do file types, who's to say its not that persons own work, or a mates work ? Or even better, a download clearly marked as FREE by the creator.

If it was so easy to policeall of this, why are they ultimately wanting to pass the dirty work off onto the ISP's?

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way supporting or condoning illegal file sharing etc. But there is just far too much left unanswered and overlooked for any of this to work.

Allso in the interests of privacy, will websites have to be clearly marked "Warning, BPI are monitoring file sharing on this website" so that a user has the knowledge and option on if they are to go ahead or not?
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast