Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy

This is a discussion on Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Jemmy, I was talking the other week, to a Cinema owner, who was saying that he can't see a future ...

Tango34 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01884
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy

Jemmy, I was talking the other week, to a Cinema owner, who was saying that he can't see a future for his business, he sees not torrent thats killing it. Its the fact people now have 42" screens in their living rooms.

A lot of software / films get shipped to China, where they are copied ready for both Cinima / DVD release or before they get shipped to the shops for Music release.

In China the (c) laws don't cover a lot, so the infomation finds it way very quickly onto the torrent uploads and websites.

James67 No I don't belive they will, but what might happen if enough people vote against the government in power, is that we the people of the UK get a chance to decide if we want to be in Europe or not!

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tango34 View Post
      James67 No I don't belive they will, but what might happen if enough people vote against the government in power, is that we the people of the UK get a chance to decide if we want to be in Europe or not!
      No, don't please, I'll laugh so much that I'll wet myself if you keep on coming up with jokes like that…

Anno1366 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

1 simple way around this with 1 simple word.... usenet.

stewart1988 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jemmy View Post
      Just going a little offshoot in this discussion
      I sometimes wonder, how is it possible for these torrent guys to be able to provide the albums/songs/videos as soon as it is released in the market. If it was for something which was very anticipated then its different but apparently these days you can get any stuff that is released the same day on the net sometimes even before the release in the market
      This makes we wonder, how can just some people buying this stuff might be so keen to upload it and make it available for people they don't even know.
      I have few theories explaining this, more are welcome
      1. As mentioned in a previous post, most companies see the torrents as a cheap and very effective means of advertising, especially the audience who will never purchase their stuff but will promote it and might bring more customers to purchase the stuff
      2. Could it be the rivalry of various companies trying to release each others content via their supported up-loaders in a bid to erode into the rival companies revenue generation.

I'm pretty sure all the thinking minds in this forum will come out with lots of other possible reasons.

On personal note, I support reasonably priced legal download of songs and videos without DRM so it could be used on any mobile device you buy or your car or lounge. I look forward to the time when this industry realises this and they come forward with a new business plan which will be beneficial to them as well as the consumer.
      They aint uploaded to Torrents first you know! They are much deeper down underground but quickly find there way mainstream through torrents..
      The Scene as it is known was created to showcase cracking/hacking/supplying talents and not meant as a piracy group to make money. But people soon seen this as a huge money maker be it selling the pirated stuff or creating websites put on some ads and watch people flock to their site and the money.

A lot of sites have access to the private FTP's (Paid access which is against scene rules but it happenes!) and can supply to your average joe very fast!

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anno1366 View Post
      1 simple way around this with 1 simple word.... ******.
      Shhhhhh! The first rule of ****** is that you don't talk about ******…

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

To be honest this isn't going to tackle the root source of the pirated material. Over 90% of pirated films are coming from within the studios themselves from the editing dept.

Some copies still come with the full camera shot and time codes on them.

So the movie studios should be really cracking down on security their end as well as targeting the end user, but hey it's easier to step on Joe public than sort out your own rotten security isn't it?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Redman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      "The music is just boring crap by plastic manufatured bands. I hardly buy any music because most of it is just not worth buying.

Redman"

Well, perhaps you're showing your age -- when I was dating girls ten years my junior I was always appalled by their shallow musical tastes and they were bored by my old 60's and 70's rock bands.
      Yip I'm showing my age, lol. I am like you, I enjoy my 60's, 70's and 80's Rock music as well, also a huge Blues fan but as I've said it's boring plastic manufactured boy/girl bands that get on my nerves.

Redman
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 28-07-08 at 02:32 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags and starred out word

Redman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tango34 View Post
      So I have been asked "so you think it's ok to illegally download music/movies/programs?"

I will answer this the best way I can? As an ex Police Officer, I was taught their is only The Law, you are either breaking it, or not, there isn't different amounts of illegal, just legal and not legal (illegal).
      lol, oh the irony of an ex Police Officer talking about what's legal and illegal. I have a m8 who has recently left the force, he told me that there's more contraband being traded around Police stations around the country than the real crooks are trying to sell. Pirates the lot of you.

Redman
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 28-07-08 at 02:32 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Reading details about the MOU, it would appear that it is absolutely pointless any ISP undertaking this.

The risk of getting caught is minimal, and imho, a complete waste of time.

4 Signatories will work together on a process whereby internet service customers are informed when their accounts are being used unlawfully to share copyright material and pointed towards legal alternatives. In the first instance ISP signatories will each put in place a 3 month trial to send notifications to 1000 subscribers per week identified to them by music rights holders, to agreed levels of evidence, as having been engaged in illicit uploading or downloading. Based on evidence from the trial, which will be analysed and assessed by all signatories, Ofcom will agree with Signatories an escalation in numbers, widening of content coverage, and a process for agreeing a cap.
      My bold. 1000 letters a week is nothing but a token reaction to the IP's reported to the big SIX ISP's. And I would bet £100 that there are more than a 1000 instances of illegal downloads per hour on any of those ISP's networks.

To send out only 1000 letters a week is a mockery and a complete waste of everyone's time. Just what difference will that make? As previously said, the risk of getting caught is small, the fact that only 6000 letters a week between all the ISP's, proves that the risk is infact very, very small.

Source: http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file47139.pdf

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
      Yip I'm showing my age, lol. I am like you, I enjoy my 60's, 70's and 80's Rock music as well, also a huge Blues fan but as I've said it's boring plastic manufactured boy/girl bands that get on my nerves.

Redman
      You need to be here, SkyUser Radio , on a Friday 8 till 10

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast