Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy

This is a discussion on Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Isitme P2P sharing should be fairly easy to stop as it contains 99.5% illegal content, but torrents ...

mossmanfly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      P2P sharing should be fairly easy to stop as it contains 99.5% illegal content, but torrents are a different matter. I don't know how easy it is to tell whether a user is downloading illegal movies/music or a perfectly legal Linux distro or other legal content. Anyone know?
      To be honest I would say the BPI would have to connect to that invidual torrent and take note of all the IPs connected to it at the time, they then would complete the download I would have thought to see if the content is what it said it was.

You could easily post a torrent that is suggests the content is "Now 70" and it could be a recording of you singing the songs or something like that.

Without the ISP monitoring the files you download then theres no way of knowing. What if the album or whatever is in RAR format. The ISP would have to take the time to extract the information etc.

The BPI cant also just say this IP visited this site and searched for "Now 70" that person must have downloaded it without the proof of a IP address being connected to a torrent that actually contains "Now 70".

Again I could be wrong, but im pretty sure this is how people got accused of downloading cinema films in the past.

2. Advertisement
      jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

In my opinion if they use dpi then they are implementing technology like phorm except the are not sending adverts but they are still breaking the law by doing this without customers permission.

And just another thing the isps will give up on this because if every person on their networks downloads a single illegal song through p2p or even the majority what are they going to do terminate all the customers broadband and then they will have no customers.

Tango34 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01884
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

But then, with more people not taking part in torrent activities, it won't be long before a new version is launched, that maskes everyones ip address, or just gives a false ip address back, maybe all the same one!

The way I see it, is if I get a letter from sky telling me "I have been naughty" for downloading a Music CD, all I would have to do, is go out and purchase that CD, make sure its scratched, and as my defence, I was downloading a Music track / cd that I had already paid for, but just happened to be scratched? As in I am now getting a backup?

I don't think any ISP is going to risk, closing down 10000's of accounts, due to torrent activity, they would go under.

But, it looks good, it shows they are willing to help if possible.

I guess the next stange will be UK Gov, telling the ISP's that now they can stop / monitor torrent activity, they need to make sure that NO illigal content is coming over their ISP streams!

Big Brother here we come........

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

so you think it's ok to illegally download music/movies/programs?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

My only concern really is that this is going to possibly lead to a huge rise in black market web sites hosted in Eastern Block countries with little regard for western laws taking advantage of the western worlds cravings for really cheap music etc.

Russian web sites like mp3fiesta.com, allofmp3.com (now closed/busted) are springing up left right and center taking credit card payments to allow members to download albums for as little as a pound.

Would you trust your credit card/debit card details with these countries? Is this going to lead to a rise in online credit card fraud?
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,581 Posts

I guess the next stange will be UK Gov, telling the ISP's that now they can stop / monitor torrent activity, they need to make sure that NO illigal content is coming over their ISP streams!
      This is the point, as soon as an ISP monitors content being exchanged by their users, they themselves are likely to be charged with allowing illegal activity. At the moment all ISPs claim that they are simply a conduit for transferring information and have no responsibility for the actual information being transferred. In fact the cost of monitoring millions of connections would astronomical and would make providing internet connections uneconomical.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      so you think it's ok to illegally download music/movies/programs?
      I can't remember who it was but there was an article recently printed containing an interview with a film producer in the USA. He went on record to publicly thank all the people that downloaded his film via torrents because actual cinema viewings went up after it was released onto the torrent networks.

So despite the fact hundreds of thousands of people downloaded it, it actually proved positive for the film studio and the films popularity at the cinema. So is it really as damaging as they like to quote?
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      My only concern really is that this is going to possibly lead to a huge rise in black market web sites hosted in Eastern Block countries with little regard for western laws taking advantage of the western worlds cravings for really cheap music etc.

Russian web sites like mp3fiesta.com, allofmp3.com (now closed/busted) are springing up left right and center taking credit card payments to allow members to download albums for as little as a pound.

Would you trust your credit card/debit card details with these countries? Is this going to lead to a rise in online credit card fraud?
      You can guarantee it will but its the own people's fault. In the end we all start paying for, its all one big vicious circle!

iangilf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kent
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

stop selling media to do this aswell then blank dvds dvd writers , whats the point of fast speeds i myself wouldnt go out n buy cds anyways or goto the cinemas as its too expensive to go watch movies , what gets me is that the things that are leaked alot of the time come from the companies themselves somehow its like they want you to download it in the 1st place dvd screeners of films that havent even been released yet or havent even been on in the cinema , its really quite strange like i said whatever ive downloaded in the past i wouldnt of bought anyways and i quite possiblely could of done without its only cause ive got fast internet access and dvds to do all of this i actually do it , what im saying is me downloading stuff from the net isnt going to cost the company anything in te 1st place cause i wouldnt of bought it in the 1st place , im not saying this is right cause i know its not , shut filesharing off on the net and ill guarentee many people would just have it switched off cause the nets nothing more than filesharing and a bit of web surfing a bit of email and a bit of adult material unless im missing something on the net that is

guesswho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Baillieston Glasgow
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As I understand it Sky does not use static IPs.
      As a result each time we fire up the router we are allocated a new IP address.
      It could be that letters may end up going to the wrong people unless each time our IP is changed it is logged by Sky.
      I became aware of this when doing speed tests and discovering that my history on a particular site didn't match my experience! I had records of tests conducted by other folk who had previously been allocated the IP address I was using at that point.

Perhaps I'm being too simplistic but any comments from those with better knowledge of this situation would be appreciated.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast