Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy

This is a discussion on Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; "So in reality all this will do is drive it underground onto ftps and usenet...old technology but working out if ...

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy

"So in reality all this will do is drive it underground onto ftps and usenet...old technology but working out if an an ftp is illegal is difficult when you can't access it."

Maybe the BPI will send file swappers back to stone age dial-up bulletin boards and ftp.

Windows XP still has Hyperterminal and I didn't throw away my old V90 modem -- as I recall, direct file transfer with friends over the phone line always seemed faster than the internet.

I know people who swap music files on DVD by post -- next the BPI will be demanding that Royal Mail open all flat circular packages.

2. Advertisement
      astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Oh well done the BPI, and ISPs, together you will probably increase the profits of those that used to sell the pirate music from car boot sales, but had been largely put out of business thanks to the Internet .

I believe the excuse for trying to eliminate them was that you were funding terrorism or drug dealing by buying their wares, well i guess this wonderful initiative should drastically increase their sales and profits for whatever use they wish..

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      But with the money you are saving using Sky Broadband, per year, you could buy a fair few more CD's than you could on other ISP's packages.
      But are you suggesting that this is a good arguement for the Music industry to use? "Sign up with sky so you can then pay for our music cd's".

Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

For those that support legal sources of downloads, this announcement means nothing. It would only annoy people who download illegal torrents / files. If you can prove that what you downloaded was in fact legal, you would have no come back whatsoever from the BPI or Sky.

However (and this is my own view) if you are caught downloading / uploading something illegal, you should be accountable. Its like stealing from the sweet counter at Woolworths, and then protesting 'It wasn't me' although the CCTV shows it quite clearly was.

My only reservations are like those already raised, what if in fact it wasn't you, but a member of the family or an unsecured wireless network?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      But are you suggesting that this is a good arguement for the Music industry to use? "Sign up with sky so you can then pay for our music cd's".

That's not what I meant....

However the slogan,

Sign up to Sky and you could then afford to buy more legal software / CD's

Gets the point across.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have multiple views.

My first is as you raised, what if it wasnt you but someone who hacked your wireless or similar.

The second is, that your activity will be monitored,so privacy no longer applies ? in most respects.

It seems to me that the UK is turning more into Russia and russia into the UK. They are getting more freedom (privacy wise) and we are constantly having ours taken away. DNA database, ID Cards, Passports with DNA details and fingerprints stored on a chip etc etc etc. Where will it end? Until we are a massive 60 million peice chessboard and move to where we get told to move to ?

But no I dont support illegal downloading of music et al. I dont support the over priced CD's in the shops either. Hence I only listen to music ont he radio or not at all. Dont buy CD's, dont download them either.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

"Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Maybe the BPI will send file swappers back to stone age dial-up bulletin boards and ftp.
      I doubt it.

Unless Sky are doing deep packet inspection which I doubt then some outside organisation is doing the snooping and reporting its findings to Sky and the other service providers. Simply keeping off P2P would more or less make you invisible to the BPI, unless Sky are logging every IP address you connect to and submitting this data to some organisation for classification. But then this becomes a data protection issue surely?
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...

Thanks
      Blog Entries

The second is, that your activity will be monitored,so privacy no longer applies ? in most respects.
      There is no mention that Sky are monitoring this themselves. This is what needs clarifying.

If you are on a torrent site and the BPI or their Agency obtains your IP address, my understanding is that the BPI will then forward that IP to your ISP with a report of this person, downloaded this file. This would be the point that Sky or insert ISP would then send you the letter.

If Sky were to pass your details onto the BPI - This is where I would disagree. As Sky should confirm to everyone, that they would only divulge your details, subject to a court order.

If that approach is used, I have no issues with this.

If Sky are monitoring what you download through DPI - that is a different issue altogether.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

That wouldnt surprise me Simon. The words Big Brother have a ring to them (not TV wise though ::shudders:: )
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      I doubt it.

Unless Sky are doing deep packet inspection which I doubt then some outside organisation is doing the snooping and reporting its findings to Sky and the other service providers. Simply keeping off P2P would more or less make you invisible to the BPI, unless Sky are logging every IP address you connect to and submitting this data to some organisation for classification. But then this becomes a data protection issue surely?

That's my point Simon, the risk of getting caught is still too low, but higher than it was yesterday. Unless Sky use DPI.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast