Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy

This is a discussion on Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by jdsimp1234 12/11.97 for Now 70 cd, is quite acceptable, as a birthday present, But not acceptable to ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy

Quote Originally Posted by jdsimp1234 View Post
      12/11.97 for Now 70 cd, is quite acceptable, as a birthday present, But not acceptable to buy for personal use.
      But with the money you are saving using Sky Broadband, per year, you could buy a fair few more CD's than you could on other ISP's packages.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 152
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      However, imho, I don't think anyone could proclaim to have never ever downloaded something that was illegal.
      I must be guilty of that as you keep calling my Rolf collection criminal
      "To help would be a great adventure"
      Listen to the all new 24hr SkyUser Radio http://www.skyuserradio.co.uk/

Come join us for a game @ TeamSkyUser

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So rather than go after the companies that set up these illegal P2P sites, or the originators of the uploads, its the person who downloads them that gets the penalties thrown at them. And what happens if (like me) you have a small network of PC's and its your kids that are downloading the odd track here and there ?

Its like this Youtube thing, where Viacom wants all the details of who downloaded copyrighted clips... why not go after the people who uploaded the clip and cap their net connections, not those that downloaded the clips ! That's like arresting the purchaser of a pirated DVD at a car boot sale, but letting the seller continue trading and going scott free !

I watched a section on BBC breakfast this morning and they were claiming that this will protect the session and little known musicians, but its not their music that people download, its typically the big names in the industry who ar't short for a bob or two.
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk

majorpart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Ashgrove
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Firstly i doubt these measures are actually designed/been agreed to fully stop filesharing of illegal material. Any boost to the sales of CD's,DVD's,BR & Itune type products would be seen as a sucess in thier eyes.

The main ISP have been having to expand at a huge rate to keep up with bandwidth demand so anything that can calm this demand even if it's just slightly will be a vicory for them too.

This agreement however harse or undeserved is actually a good thing in my eyes as it was going down the route of legislation and you know what our goverment are like.
      This way they for at least a few years won't be thinking of that.

This accouncement will also see these ISP work together to bring affordable downloadable material to your pc.

Remember if they hadn't done this the outcome of the consultation that is ongoing would have no doubt opted for more draconian measures.
      Consultation on legislative options to address illicit P2P file-sharing - BERR

Also if we go by what TalkTalk are saying it's IP addys from P2P plus probably Torrents they are getting ahold of, this can be subverted mostly so there are ways round it and also those in the know may already be downloading from private networks off of private servers.. (although the below is TalkTalk and sky could be doing diffrent i doubt it and i imagine the agreement terms for all the ISP is very similar)

SKY CAN WE HAVE A PROPER ACCOUNMENT CONFIRMING WHAT WILL AND WON'T BE HAPPENING, AS MOST OF THE OTHER ISP'S HAVE DONE THE SAME!!

Taken From TalkTalk's announcment today: TalkTalk Members

"TalkTalk has signed an agreement today with government, content companies and other ISPs. This note explains what this means for you.

As part of the agreement we will do two things:

* run a test writing to some TalkTalk customers to inform them that content companies allege they are illegally downloading
      * work with content companies and other ISPs to provide customers information and more 'legal' services whilst protecting your privacy and rights

We will continue to fight to protect your privacy and your right to freedom of use of the Internet. What we will not do is:

* disconnect your service or slow the speed of your connection
      * monitor your traffic
      * divulge your details to content companies (unless forced to do so by a court)

Some content companies are pushing for changes in the law to force us to do these things - we will vigorously fight any such changes in the law.

Q: How does TalkTalk know who to send a letter to?

Content companies plan to send us the IP addresses of sites which they say are being used to offer illegal content for others to upload. They find these IP addresses by monitoring the Intenet. TalkTalk are able to match the IP address to a individual broadband connection, they will then send a letter to the owner of that account.
      Q: What would cause me to receive a letter?

If the content companies send TalkTalk an IP address that matches to your broadband connection then they may send you a letter. However, there are many reasons why you might have done anything wrong and the claim unfounded:

* The content that is being offered for upload may actually be being shared legally
      * The content company may have made a mistake in identifying the IP address
      * It may be someone else in the household that offered the content for upload
      * It may be that someone 'hijacked' or 'piggybacked' on your wi-fi connection

Q: What should I do if I receive a letter?

Firstly you should consider whether the claim is unfounded. As explained above there are a number of reasons why the claim by the content company may be incorrect.

You might also want to consider whether you wish to use alternative so-called 'legal' sites.

TalkTalk will take no action against you and they will not divulge your details to the content company unless forced to do so by a court.
      Q: Does the content company have my details to pursue me?

If a copyright infringement has actually occurred content company have some legal powers to attempt to prosecute you. To do this they would need to know your details (e.g. name, address), which they do not currently have. TalkTalk have and we will continue to refuse to divulge your details to them or any other content companies. However, a content company may seek a court order requiring them to divulge your details. TalkTalk will vigorously fight on your behalf to resist this, but they feel they should let you know that they cannot guarantee that they will be successful in protecting your details."

Downloading stuff for free has been too easy of late, this is just a challenge that has been put in place, there are already a few ways round it, and i'm sure some genuis will find a great way to circumvent any IP gathering tech they have
      Last edited by majorpart; 24-07-08 at 05:46 PM.

majorpart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Ashgrove
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malc-c View Post
      So rather than go after the companies that set up these illegal P2P sites, or the originators of the uploads,
      There is no such thing as an illegal P2P "site" as many court cases have so far proven.. it's the users uploading illegal content they have already downloaded that is the illegal issue. The site or software is just providing a way of uploading any media illegal or legal of which it still does both.

That is the whole reason Peer to Peer works. You download then you share. If the average jo as in most of the p2p users didn't upload there would be very little to download.

uk-guy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cambuslang 0141
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

well i am a heavy user of torrent but i dont download music files i mainly download video files. perhaps 50gb each way per month.

can sky tell the difference between video and mp3?
      are they going to crack down on video downloads also?
      how are they going to police this?
      do they have the technical capability to?

many questions which need answering from sky and other isp

LC80 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01706
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When did music actually become "illegal content"?

Does this mean I should turn my radio off, as I'm recording it onto my brain and if I start singing it near people I'm sharing it?

There is a lot more on the net they should be worried about, but I forgot this is more about money & taxes and not piracy.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uk-guy View Post
      well i am a heavy user of torrent but i dont download music files i mainly download video files. perhaps 50gb each way per month.

can sky tell the difference between video and mp3?
      are they going to crack down on video downloads also?
      how are they going to police this?
      do they have the technical capability to?

many questions which need answering from sky and other isp
      Hi

We have already emailed Sky asking for a statement.

As for the downloading, from what I understand, Sky would act on information passed on from the BPI. I don't think Sky would be sniffing the content so to speak.

A few things stand out to me.

1) If this is the case that the BPI pass the information on, then Sky would act on it in the form of some kind of letter, alerting you of this fact

2) If your wireless connection is not secured properly, someone else could effectively use your connection to download illegal content, then it would be your IP that is logged, and then the dreaded letter sent to

3) I really don't think Sky would pass your details on without a court order, as per the other ISP's who have affirmed this, this is an opinion not fact

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

uk-guy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cambuslang 0141
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Hi

We have already emailed Sky asking for a statement.

As for the downloading, from what I understand, Sky would act on information passed on from the BPI. I don't think Sky would be sniffing the content so to speak.

A few things stand out to me.

1) If this is the case that the BPI pass the information on, then Sky would act on it in the form of some kind of letter, alerting you of this fact

2) If your wireless connection is not secured properly, someone else could effectively use your connection to download illegal content, then it would be your IP that is logged, and then the dreaded letter sent to

3) I really don't think Sky would pass your details on without a court order, as per the other ISP's who have affirmed this, this is an opinion not fact
      well sky lets here from you now. where do we stand whats your policy

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Apart from torrents I can't see how they can even begin to establish illegal from legal. You can download apps legally as well as mp3's so they can't go by file type. I would suspect they monitor IP's on the torrent networks and work out who they belong to.

So in reality all this will do is drive it underground onto ftps and usenet...old technology but working out if an an ftp is illegal is difficult when you can't access it.
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast