Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy

This is a discussion on Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by RickyC Watching Iplayer, 4OD, Sky Anytime. Web browsing email, skype. Especially when you have more the one ...

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Sign Up With BPI To Help Stop Piracy

Quote Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
      Watching Iplayer, 4OD, Sky Anytime. Web browsing email, skype.
      Especially when you have more the one computer sharing the bandwidth.
      I have a 8mb package i can watch iplayer on 2 pc's at the same time with no problem.

2. Advertisement
      maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      World of Warcraft and other online games, 25-30 meg an hour plus most of them have huge patches and online distributions.
      Again i have a 8mb connection, i get the speeds below 24/7, I don't need more speed for for my downloading and FPS sessions.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Some of these Options proposed by the Government do not bear thinking about- Proposed Solutions

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MarkyMark135 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Torrent help

will i get a letter if i just go onto the torrents sites ?

NOT download just to have a look at whats out ?

any help thank's

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you are not downloading anything, then there is no way that you should get a letter.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

grudas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

so if they dont know torrent tracker or dont have the torrent file it self they cant see if you are downloading stuff or not? what about file hostings such as rapidshare, megaupload, speedyshare etc... they cant monitor these? can they?

Anno1366 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There is 1 thing that annoys me more than anything about this whole situation...
      The whole "up to 16mb" i signed up with! If sky want to start coming down hard on what i use their limited bandwidth for then i want something friking close to what i am paying for!
      Question...
      Why the hell would any1 need 8mb, 16mb, 32mb or 50mb connections for if it wasn't for downloading? (i'm not talking just sky but all those that signed up to this)
      They damn well know what these bandwidth ranges are used for. If it was just for net surfing a little bit of streaming and "linux distros" then we could all get by on 4mb connections. Of course this isn't the case.
      They know but are willing to take our money for what they know is happening and now instead of going after those that put illegal content on the net they go for the easy catch.
      If they want to pursue this method then i'm going to pursue my 16mb connection. By this i mean why was i told i would get at least 12mb (living within 1 KM of the exchange and with all brand new external and internal wiring) from the 16mb possible. What i actually got was 8-9mb. This was about 4/5 months ago and since then with every month that has gone by i have lost speed so now i am now down to about 7mb connection. Have i moved house or further from the exchange in this time... NO!
      I could drop down to the 8mb package i hear you say... well i know that if i do this i will all of a sudden find my max speed is 5mb connection. I have a few friends that tried it and had the same.
      Sky want us to pay for these packages and when we go for them we get this crap about how we can use them. No... "Sorry Mr Jones you aren't getting what you paid for we are doing all we can to fix this and will offer you a refund"
      Oh no. Instead to really take the pee i can expect... "Sorry Mr Jones thanks for your money from our sub standard service but we regret to inform you that you will be going to court shortley and having your internet terminated with us"

OK i may have exagerated a little but i think you get my point.
      And before the "dont break the law and you will be ok" police here jump in.. If i want to i shall. I am NO master criminal, i am NO kiddy fiddler, i do NOT spread copyrighted material. I DO buy DVDs, i DO go to the cinema, i DO buy CDs and yes i DO download warez. (who the hell doesn't)
      Many of the DVDs/CDs/Software i have bought i would never have bought if i hadn't downloaded some crappy copy prior and found out just how good they were. A great example of this is my Eset NOD32 anti virus. I would have just stuck to the free anti virus programs if i hadn't downloaded a cracked version of this a couple of years ago. Now i buy every fantastic new release of it because it's something i consider to be worth the money.
      I'm angry as you might be able to tell about all this.

Oh and that speedtest.net thing below was from when i joined sky all of 4 months ago if you wanna see how bad things are now check http://www.speedtest.net/result/303368858.png
      and that's 3am with nothing running! great service huh.
      Last edited by Anno1366; 01-08-08 at 04:41 AM.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Some of these Options proposed by the Government do not bear thinking about- Proposed Solutions
      Yeah, this is where I came in.

I've always been put off learning about using torrents etc, worried about the risks of picking up viruses and trojans.

So I don't go along with people on this thread who say that if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't be worried about BPI monitoring downloads and trying to get you chucked off the internet.

There are clear civil liberties issues here. A commercial lobby who have missed the boat on exploiting the internet to sell its product is trying to steer government into interfering in the relationship between ISPs and their paid customers.

In the USA the RIAA (Recording Industry Assoc) has been harassing
      ISP customers in the courts directly -- with the result that customers are now bringing legal action against the RIAA and the American judiciary are beginning to get wary about the whole deal.

See this link: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ed-riaa-antics
      Last edited by fihart; 01-08-08 at 06:40 AM.

MarkyMark135 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

so if they dont know torrent tracker or dont have the torrent file it self they cant see if you are downloading stuff or not? what about file hostings such as rapidshare, megaupload, speedyshare etc... they cant monitor these? can they?

.................................................. .................................................. ..

i would like to no this aswell ?

Does anyone no

Thanks

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Oh and that speedtest.net thing below was from when i joined sky all of 4 months ago if you wanna see how bad things are now check
      If your connection has deteriorated that much you should open a thread for yourself in the Help section. Posting your current stats there would be a start. Unless your line is being trained by DLM it is very unlikely that this reduction is down to Sky. Telephone lines can and do develop faults, both internally and externally.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast