Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Sky's Download Limits - Are they fair?

Voters
    107. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

91 85.05%
    • No

16 14.95%
    Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

This is a discussion on Sky To Enforce Usage Caps? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Unofficial We have been reliably informed this evening that Sky are considering / or about to start clamping down on ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

Unofficial

We have been reliably informed this evening that Sky are considering / or about to start clamping down on the Heavy Users / Downloaders.

Although this is totally unofficial, and is sure to start many a thread on 'How dare they?' I feel that this is only fair. Sky allow it's users a more than adequate FUP / Download Allowance.

• Connect - 40GB
      • Base - 2GB
      • Mid - 40GB
      • MAX - Unofficially 250GB

For the price that Sky charge, absolutely no one imho could possibly complain as to the restrictions or enforcing this in the future. You only have to compare other Broadband Providers to see that these limits (bear in mind the pricing) are good value for money.

Of course we will see people complain about this, that is human nature, but at the end of the day, we all agreed that those limits that were publicised were acceptable, otherwise we would not have accepted the Terms and Conditions.

The biggest problem, that I personally have with this, is that Sky really need to provide a way of measuring a User's usage. Or even at least provide the tools for the User to do so him / herself.

We have read reports on SkyUser whereby Sky's customers have hammered their Broadband connections, with one user regularly downloading over 1TB of data a month, just for the sake of it.

We all knew this was to come, and I suppose we expected it, but Sky really do need to think this through and maybe issue a 3 strike system, or let people know their usage in a user friendly way.

Update: We are not sure if this will apply to everyone, or indeed only those that take the mickey out of their Broadband Connections. We also do not know the consequences, as to whether those that abuse the FUP would then be restricted or kicked off.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 05-06-08 at 12:08 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

I agree, I'm on max and tbh with my usage I could probably get away with being on mid. However when I want something, such as a dl game from steam/ealink I want it quick so thats why I pay for max. Over 1TB a month tho is outrageous. If sky do implement this, and as stated we all signed up and agreed to the limits, then I would like / hope to see them offer some form of monitoring tool which would inform users that they are getting close to their limit thus allowing them to back off for a while. With the advent of skyplayer and bbc/itv's similar offerings they are actually encouraging greater usage.

TRIaXOR™ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSDRU
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I voted yes BUT because the result " *MAX - Unofficially 250GB" is a bit of a grey area, it could be 500GB, 750GB or even as little as 100GB, who knows? so until Sky mention a ballpark figure, who's to know what the limit is, but, as for Mid etc.. it STATES 40GB etc.. and those packages should be enforced if customers are taking the micheal. I dont mind a bit of.. oops I downloaded 45GB this month on it, but Downloading for example 150GB on that package isn't right
      Powered by Sky Broadband Unlimited

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

" *MAX - Unofficially 250GB" is a bit of a grey area,
      Even if it was at 250GB - That's more than an acceptable limit. I agree though, there should be a ceiling set in stone.

But at the end of the day, I find it hard to go over 10GB a month and I am on MAX. I watch Youtube, iPlayer, Game, and the occasional torrent.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max VIP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD VIP
      Thanks

It had to happen sooner or later, and i don't see how anyone can complain really, although there's bound to be a few! I do agree however that there should be a stated limit.
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ugh. just when i get told im over-using my other broadband

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

the most ive ever used with myself and 3 teenagers sharing 2 pc/laptops's is 20gb but i went for max for the increased speed and even then i saved £8 per month over previous 1mb package on old isp

ldoodle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

With the current out-dated infrastructure I don't think they can't enforce caps, but not what VM have done. However, I think this should be based on the average over a 12 month period. There might be 2 or 3 days p/m we're I excessively use it, but others where I hardly use it. So to be punished for over use in the minority without being rewarded for under use would be unfair.

Until we get Fiber-to-the-home (and I don't think we can avoid it), this will always be a problem. If the powers-that-be decide against Fiber-to-the-home, then they may as well not bother changing as we will be in the same situation in 10 years time. I also think synchronous connections should be the standard. I would rather have say 10Mb up/down, than 100Mb down and 1Mb up.

Look at some countries offering 100Mb. I struggle to get a reliable 6Mb connection. And BT's 21CN only allows for 24Mb. Come on!! Britain one of the world leaders? No chance!!!

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Why average over a year when the limit is monthly? As long as you do not repeatedly break your limit each month you will be fine either way.

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Personally I think until Sky offer the facility to track your usage online enforcing this should be light touch - so warnings only.

We have all seen the questions asking how do I track my ps3/360/wii downloads, and the answer is you can't yet.

Would be very interesting to see what would happen if they were charged by any ISP for going over their limit, yet had no way of tracking it, and took it to court.

I do hammer my connection a bit, not to 250gb a month, but quite high, deffo over the 40gb from mid, but that's why I went with max.
      Do think that saying unlimited, but having a limit isn't right, if you have a limit say it. That way people know what they can do, when they need to slow down, and what to expect if they go over it.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast