Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Sky's Download Limits - Are they fair?

Voters
    107. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

91 85.05%
    • No

16 14.95%
    Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

This is a discussion on Sky To Enforce Usage Caps? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; If your in a Sky enable exchange and have Max doesnt it bypass the BT network? I ask this as ...

mossmanfly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

If your in a Sky enable exchange and have Max doesnt it bypass the BT network? I ask this as I know in the past BT charged ISPs for the amount of data a line used and not the connection speed, this was a good few years ago when 2Mb connections where just arriving things may have changed. So if the same is still true than with any connection on Skys own network they wont be paying for any usage but with connections via BT they would be.

If so the only thing for Sky and Max users would be the amount of bandwidth available, if everyone hammered there connection 24/7 im sure it would certainly hurt Skys network.

If the above is still true maybe the only enforcing of caps Sky will do is any connection still being routed through BT and not its own network.

2. Advertisement
      ldoodle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Sorry to disagree, that is just not true. Sky have one of the best modern upto date infrastructure, any other ISP would be envious of. I think the whole reasoning behind this is to stop those taking the mickey, taking the mickey.
      Yes that's all well and good, but I don't remember Sky running a new, shielded twisted pair cable from the exchange to my house. The existing cable in most cases is going to be the reason people have to accept the 'Upto xMb' label.

To a certain degree, what's the point in having one of the best infrastructures in the buisness now if a lot of people still have old telephone cable running to their houses.

That is what I meant by out-dated infrastructure, as in the old BT cables.

ldoodle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      so when you want to watch a film etc, it will instantly begin to download and then be watchable within a short time.
      Any ISP would have to give me a 99.9% SLA for me to start watching films over my broadband.

The number of drop-outs I get at the moment just isn't acceptable for this sort of content.

tubemonster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm all for reasonable capping, reasonable being the grey area though, what I dont agree with is the different limits between the packages.
      As an earlier poster pointed out, we would all be on the Max package if our lines could cope with it. why should you guys on Max have a higher limit than anyone on Mid/Base or Connect? You pay the extra for a faster download/upload speed and you will reach the limit quicker than the rest of us that's all, I want the same limit as you but it will just take me longer to reach it.

Or is this layman just being naive????

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you can get Max, regardless of speeds...if you're on Base/Mid just upgrade then you too can have unlimited* downloads...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      you can get Max, regardless of speeds...if you're on Base/Mid just upgrade then you too can have unlimited* downloads...

I think you are missing my point! I know I can upgrade to Max even if my line wouldn't be able to handle the speed but I dont think it is economically viable to pay an extra 5 just for unlimited downloads. The subject is capping, and the limit should be the same across the board and at a level sensible enough for todays ever increasing usage. If your line can handle lets say a 14mb connection then great! if mine could then so would I pay the extra, but as it cant, I don't see why I should be penalised.

Anyway! I think that the Mid package I am on is great value for money considering what I've paid in the past and can only imagine any form of capping different to the present levels will only affect those using the connection for let's say slightly dubious reasons and so long as Sky take into consideration the VOD services that will be the trend then I can't see any problems.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

ISP's are very worried about bandwidth use, it is now their number one cost and with companies like the BBC and even Microsoft wanting to go over to p2p for distribution they see themselves as the ones being punished for other companies products.

Considering that up to 90% of internet traffic at any time is now p2p, that's money that ISP's are having to shell out.

This is why there is the difference in the packages as the extra money is paying for more bandwidth.

This is not going to go away and there is another big cost that the ISP's are going to have to take onboard is that 85% of IP addresses are now taken and it is expected that the internet will be "full" by 2010. More addresses will be made avaliable if the ipv6 protocol is taken up but that would mean all the ISP's would have to upgrade their equipment, and somebody will have to pay for that.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok here's the thing......Do I, with an 8Mb connection, get a worse picture or sound watching Sky Player/BBC IPlayer or any of those services, than someone with say a 14Mb Max connection?

Is not the only benefit of a high connection faster software/video/mp3 etc downloads?

If a Max customer downloads a 1Gb file and I download that same file, he gets it quicker but we have both downloaded 1Gb, so.....he should be paying extra for that faster speed/bandwidth but why should he have such a higher limit?

That's all I'm asking

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

the extra cost for the max is for the faster download and the higher limit, you may get people who want a quick download but will not use more than the mid package, and also like you will have slower speed but higher usage needs

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Many people who have gone with max, have gone knowing that they can use whatever they want without worrying.
      It gives the freedom of not having to worry whether or not I'm near my limit for the month and then being forced to pay for going over like other ISPs already do.

I choose to pay 10 a month for that peace of mind, you choose to pay 5 for mid and have a limit.

There are other people who's line will only get at most 6-7 meg, but have picked max for the same reasons.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast