Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Sky's Download Limits - Are they fair?

Voters
    107. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

91 85.05%
    • No

16 14.95%
    Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

This is a discussion on Sky To Enforce Usage Caps? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I think the max 250 GB is OK because the most I have ever used in a month is around ...

clactonradio is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clacton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

Re: Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

I think the max 250 GB is OK because the most I have ever used in a month is around 20 GB to 30 GB.

But the 40 GB one is not so good for the people who cannot get Max.
      My speed

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

We have read reports on SkyUser whereby Sky's customers have hammered their Broadband connections, with one user regularly downloading over 1TB of data a month, just for the sake of it.
      I wonder who these TB'ers are?

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It would be nice to see how much we use via mysky.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keiran2K8 View Post
      I wonder who these TB'ers are?
      Hi Fibre, ehhh, I think it was you was it not? How's things?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi,Yes. I think it was me that mentioned it . Havent been on SkyUser since we left Sky. Just thought I would check to see if the site was still around when I noticed ^^ and chuckled!Things have been great! Been in and out of the country! Now I best stop my ramblings, because I get my BAN How are you guys (is Wheelie still around the forums, last thing I remember he was pretty ill or something ) Ooh.. me is off to check the list of 'Unread Posts'!

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

I've read all the comments here, and there are some points which are valid. However, there is one thing that I would like to highlight once more, as people seem to keep forgetting this.

The supposed 250gb 'cap' on the Max package is unconfirmed. There is no evidence to suggest that this is a true fact, and any comments made are purely hypothetical.

However, lets just say for a moment that there is a suggested maximum limit to the Max package. This limit, whatever it may be, cannot be considered a cap. It will most likely be a marker used to see who is downloading a lot, and using up network bandwidth. As the max package is stated as Unlimited, Sky cannot stop your internet connection, or charge you more for going above the limit.

Most likely, If you reach this marker, Sky will route all your traffic through the network in such a way that your downloading will only affect others who constantly download. This may slow your download speeds, but will not affect your connection speed and will leave your connection uninterupted.

Besides, I challenge anyone to download, legally that is, 250Gb in one month. If I am correct in thinking, you would need to be downloading a severe amount of Linux distros, constantly (i mean 24/7) watching videos on IPlayer, sky player or Youtube, or thousands of pounds worth of songs from Itunes to even manage that amount, which is ridiculous considering.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

The supposed 250gb 'cap' on the Max package is unconfirmed. There is no evidence to suggest that this is a true fact, and any comments made are purely hypothetical.
      No one imho believes that that is the figure, in all fairness from day 1 of this site, we have touted more or less that figure, iirc it was about 350gb at first quoted to us unofficially. It was then requoted to be lower unofficially and I think it is fair to say we have never made that an official figure and always labelled it as an unofficial amount.

But..... Sky have never ever confirmed nor denied that amount, and absolutely no one that we have spoken to over the last two years (who works at Sky or Easynet) have ever said to us "You are way off the mark on the Max Caps"

I am of the same opinion as yourself that to download 250gb a month, would mean that you would not be downloading 100% legitimate content.

On my connection it would mean that my PC would have to be downloading 24 hours a day for 5.203 days per month.

250gb in real figures is:

62,500 MP3s at an average of 4 mins per track or 4166 hours of music (of which you could only ever listen to 744 hours in a month if you listened 24 hours a day)Plus the legal cost of that at .79p per track, would mean an investment of 49,375 to buy, in just one month.

31.25 Dual layer DVD contents - at a cost of approx 465 a month. Why would you buy a DVD online and then download it anyway?

iPlayer - You would have to watch 625 hours a month (whilst streaming) to hit the 250gb limit. Bear in mind a month has only 744 hours.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 08-06-08 at 07:34 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

True, but whilst we have yet to see it over here yet, several USA networks are now trialing HD content over streaming players - iPlayer equivilents.

These would weigh in at anywhere between 4 - 8 gb for each film, say 2gb for 45 mins of Lost.

As I said, not legal to watch it here yet, but it will be coming eventually

Thanks
      Blog Entries

These would weigh in at anywhere between 4 - 8 gb for each film, say 2gb for 45 mins of Lost.
      In all fairness I would assume that someone on a free 2gb limit and a 2mb synch would then decide to upgrade their package if they wanted this technology. As first of all they would only be able to watch one movie a month, and also have to wait a good few hours to download it in the first place.

I do however think you have emphasised the reasoning of the two topics of discussion, for Sky to deliver good quality content, they need to make sure;

1) That the quality of the network would support it - DLM
      2) That there is the capacity to supply it - Enforcing limits / caps / FUP

It looks like Sky are preparing their network for some content coming our way, paid or unpaid.

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 152
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It looks like Sky are preparing their network for some content coming our way, paid or unpaid.
      Like VOD maybe
      "To help would be a great adventure"
      Listen to the all new 24hr SkyUser Radio http://www.skyuserradio.co.uk/

Come join us for a game @ TeamSkyUser

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast