Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Sky's Download Limits - Are they fair?

Voters
    107. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

91 85.05%
    • No

16 14.95%
    Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

This is a discussion on Sky To Enforce Usage Caps? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; You cannot truly enforce a cap if you give no way of tracking usage as there would be no way ...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

You cannot truly enforce a cap if you give no way of tracking usage as there would be no way for them to prove the cap was broken.

2. Advertisement
      ldoodle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Why average over a year when the limit is monthly? As long as you do not repeatedly break your limit each month you will be fine either way.
      Because if I use say 60gb of my 40gb one month, but then for the other 11 months only use 10gb, Sky or whichever ISP know not to do anything about my one month's over use.

If they sent letters at the end of the month saying you have gone x amount over you limit, do not do it again, will they send a letter the next month saying you have gone x amount under your limit so please ignore the last letter? I don't think so!
      Last edited by ldoodle; 05-06-08 at 02:16 PM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Its a monthly cap, therefor you get monitored monthly. In your example is downloading a years worth of data in one month ok as long as you don't download anything else for the rest of the year?
      If you go over the limit one month you would probably get a "slap on the wrist, don't do it again" warning email. If you were to do it repeatedly you would then be capped etc but if your usage was then normal after the first event it would probably be ingored and would incur no further action.

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thinking about it, Sky would be better off starting this on the Connect package, and maybe Base.

Sure I've seen somewhere that Sky pay BT for connect, and have to pay for usage amounts on it - if so, that'd be the place to start on people who go over the limits.

I'd target Base customers next, using the track and warn for 2-4 months, then send a letter saying that you are using too much each month, consider switching to Mid for 5 a month or we charge you per gb over - and then charge 5 per gb, quick and easy way to increase the number of people paying for the BB...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I am sure that there must be a lot of Sky BB users (I do not mean members here) who have signed up to the BBc i player and are happly p2p'ing away without a care in the world,and if on Base or Mid would be getting close to their monthly limit without knowing it.
      The e-mail that Sky may send them suggesting they upgrade to Max may well get ignored,so I think that sky may take the Virgin route ie reduced speeds during peak times as away of applying a FUP.

jonmacuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Greenock WSGRE
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kbramman View Post
      Thinking about it, Sky would be better off starting this on the Connect package, and maybe Base.

Sure I've seen somewhere that Sky pay BT for connect, and have to pay for usage amounts on it - if so, that'd be the place to start on people who go over the limits.

I'd target Base customers next, using the track and warn for 2-4 months, then send a letter saying that you are using too much each month, consider switching to Mid for 5 a month or we charge you per gb over - and then charge 5 per gb, quick and easy way to increase the number of people paying for the BB...
      Being on the Connect package I dont think that is fair to be honest. If I had the choice I would be on the Max package but due to sky taking their time to upgrade my exchange I am stuck on connect for the time being ( proably until hell freezes over) so to target those customers who dont have a choice of package seems a bit unfair in my opinion.

Dont get me wrong I am all for targetting these people who go over the limit but theres a big difference betwen 40 GB for connect and the rumored 250 GB for the max package . I am sure if all connect customers had a choice then for the price of it we would happily go onto the Max package.

tooseyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EACLN
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Am about to sign with Sky so would be very interested to know what limits they are going to impose. I am with UKFSN at the moment on the 30/300 Gig package and have been most impressed with their service.
      My worry is that Sky will traffic-shape, hope they do not? Could just about live with the Enta ALT system, did not like it though and I do not want to sign for a years contract with Sky Max until I know what the imposed limits are.

Guess I will have to call and ask what the limit will be on Max...

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have no issues with them doing this, infact I welcome it but like the others have said above if this is going to happen then Sky need to provide everybody with a way of tracking what they are using. Anyone downloading 1TB is just asking for trouble.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

be very interested to know what limits they are going to impose
      The published limits are in my first post. However MAX is rumoured to be 250GB, however Sky have never openly admitted this. I think as long as people stay within or as close to the caps, there should be no issue.

Bear in mind this is totally unofficial news and tbh unless you get yourself noticed, by downloading the internet overnight, shouldn't be an issue.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ldoodle View Post
      With the current out-dated infrastructure I don't think they can't enforce caps,

Sorry to disagree, that is just not true. Sky have one of the best modern upto date infrastructure, any other ISP would be envious of. I think the whole reasoning behind this is to stop those taking the mickey, taking the mickey.

Sky aim to have 3 million customers on BB within the next two years. They also plan to deliver VOD or as close to that as possible. One solution we have unofficially been told that Sky are looking at delivering is simulcast Content, ie so when you want to watch a film etc, it will instantly begin to download and then be watchable within a short time.

I guarantee that VM would be very envious of Sky's network capacity / build and components as in routers / switches quality. Put it this way Sky are not playing at this, and fully intend to provide the best BB experience as well as future proofing their network to make money from VOD in the future. As Peter Kay would say 'Its the future'

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast