Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Sky's Download Limits - Are they fair?

Voters
    107. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

91 85.05%
    • No

16 14.95%
    Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

This is a discussion on Sky To Enforce Usage Caps? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by chrcol Actually this is normal, the likes of youtube etc. dont pay isps to display their content ...

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

Quote Originally Posted by chrcol View Post
      Actually this is normal, the likes of youtube etc. dont pay isps to display their content they just pay for their own peering out to the internet. The people who pay isps to deliver content to homes is the customers of the isp. So if an isp hasnt got the money to pay for capacity to deliver bbc iplayer then they need to go over their figures again as they have marketed their products wrong. This whole idea where the bbc is supposed to apperently pay the isps to deliver its content is some recent negative propoganda as the isps are looking for a bailout.

sky shouldnt have this problem on its non BT packages as only on sky connect it has to pay the extorniate high traffic costs to BT.
      Equally, the ISP may choose to perform packet shaping, throttling etc. Amid the howls of protest no one seems to consider that without the content there would be no squeeze on resources that were previously perfectly capable of handling the consumer's demand.

Contrary to seemingly popular belief the Internet is not free. The costs of an ISP, the links and the bandwidth all have to be paid for. For the likes of the BBC and other media companies to clamber on board and make available staggering volumes of content without contributing is scandalous. It is simply not sustainable and has nothing to do with going over figures or incorrect marketing. An ISP, for example, cannot base their marketing on what the BBC, ITV or Channel 4 might dump onto the Internet. Nor can they forecast because the TV companies do not share out that kind of information. Instead the ISP is met with a fait accompli, a done deal, and they have to bear the brunt.

In time, as the product grows, it is entirely to be expected that we will see the customer having to pay ISPs to be permissioned to access this content. That or blanket fee increases across to board to pay - because for sure, someone is going to have to.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

2. Advertisement
      zub
      zub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upton Park
      Broadband ISP: Getting better, could do with fastpath though :(
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i think the caps are very fair. i should really be on the 8meg product as i dont really download more than 20gb max a month.

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I think they are fine. I am on the upto 8 meg package aput get 2meg so there is a limit to what I can download in a month anyway. I usually struggle to get to 40GB, only once I got to 50GB. Normally I download 20GB, and looking at their T&C the methods they use to treat people who go over their limits is quite fair, although they don't actually enforce this.

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + Asus ac68
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post

Contrary to seemingly popular belief the Internet is not free. The costs of an ISP, the links and the bandwidth all have to be paid for. For the likes of the BBC and other media companies to clamber on board and make available staggering volumes of content without contributing is scandalous. It is simply not sustainable and has nothing to do with going over figures or incorrect marketing.
      That was my point netgeezer the bbc do pay for their content to be on the internet it is not free for them.

The customers pay their isps to download what content they feel fit to download and as long as they are using below quotas isps assigned to them then there is nothing wrong.

What has caused the problems is isps selling bandwidth they wasnt expecing customers to utilise.

If a customer pays for 10 gig of usage and uses 8 gig of it on bbc iplayer then so what the bandwidth is already paid for, if the isp doesnt have the bandwidth then they need to rethink over the packages they sell to customers whether it be higher prices or lower caps, or even goto BT and demand cheaper wholesale bandwidth. Isps selling unlimited usage products for pennies have shot themselves in the foot as well.

The bbc will simply argue that the isps do not have to use expensive BT bandwidth and as such why should they bailout such isps, some isps have no problem at all with iplayer most notably the ones that have a proper network capacity in place.

zub
      zub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upton Park
      Broadband ISP: Getting better, could do with fastpath though :(
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That was my point netgeezer the bbc do pay for their content to be on the internet it is not free for them.
      but it is free for them as WE pay the bbc every year

Thanks

well thats a different subject as I am also not a fan of the licence fee.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

well thats a different subject as I am also not a fan of the licence fee.
      Wilth the quality of the programming the BBC provide "Wild China" to mention but one gem I think the licence fee is fully justified and would willingly pay more.

Thanks

quality of programming is a subject of opinion.

Casperuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stepney Green (CLSTE)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

a big subject, the thing is if we use the iPlayer then we should not be charged or it should not eat into our bandwidth. as i am already paying my 150 a year to these and i hardly watch or use their services.

if VOD from sky does take off (and i have no doubt it will) shouldn't that be outside of your bandwidth allowance as you do already pay for the video content with your sky package?

the most i think i have down/uploaded is 250gb in 2 months, but i have started to d/l more with the PSN' 600mb+ d/ls and HD bit torrent stuff i cannot get here.

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Just out of curiosity, has anyone since this unofficial announcement been sanctioned for exceeding their download limit yet?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast