Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Sky's Download Limits - Are they fair?

Voters
    107. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

91 85.05%
    • No

16 14.95%
    Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

This is a discussion on Sky To Enforce Usage Caps? within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; There'll be a little * somewhere....

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky To Enforce Usage Caps?

There'll be a little * somewhere.

2. Advertisement
      TheWhizzz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

nope not there all thats there is ^^ activation fees apply and ^ about getting wireless adaptor

looky see under red button on sky news press blue ( is on mine anyways lol)
      Please take a moment and upgrade your bit torrent client to the latest version.
      Help traffic shaped users by enabling protocol encryption in Az or T

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

That's one of my pet hates. To the average unsuspecting user, unlimited means unlimited, although those of us more savvy, (no disrespect) know full well that unlimited in an ISP's view, is whatever they feel like allowing today, tomorrow and next week.

If it is truly unlimited, no FUP would apply. However Ofcom are so weak imho they cannot be bothered to bring ISP's to task over this.

If a limit was x amount and enforced / acted on, people would plan around that particular figure.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Doe's anyone know how much a MSN web cam use's? I got my Mum Sky base package 2gb limit as she is new to computers and I didn't think she would use it much, but she spent 6hrs chating to her sister on Saturday with the web cam going!! Is that alot? I haven't a clue.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I would assume about 40 - 60Kbs which is not a not really.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

no where near that! don't worry about it!

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cool! thanks guys thats good news. She's turned into a silver surfer in the space of 2 weeks, absolutely facinated with the thing! lol.
      Last edited by Koala5; 10-06-08 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Unofficial update.

Don't expect CAPs or FUPs to be implemented soon, we have it on good knowledge that there are no immediate plans for this to happen. And is only likely to happen if customers are adversely affected by those that hammer the internet.

Allegedly, Sky's / Easynet's network has been designed to cope with a lot more (and we mean an awful lot more) users than Sky Broadband has at this precise moment.

Nothing to see here, move down the bus.

tnet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

From what I have been told from a variety of ISPs, it is simply financially unaffordable for an ISP who provides a service which is unlimited whereby a customer pays 17 a month and downloads over 10Gb. Given that Sky gets funding through it's phone and TV services, this is slightly different - they (most probably) rely on some customers to subscribe to a package above their usage bracket, and thus to make a bigger margin. This larger margin then pays off the over-usage of the other more expensive customers, making the service fair.

However, I entirely agree - despite the fact that I download approximately 60Gb each month, if there are clear limits and the option to pay slightly extra to have slightly higher bandwidth usage clearances for people like me, then I would be more than happy. It just annoys me when ISPs suspend users straight off without contacting them - now that broadband has become a necessity for many households, if Sky started doing that it would be daft.

Due to my usage, I am currently with Be*, as their 'unlimited' manifesto and FUP seems to have widely been upheld so far. Given that they promise to give me few restrictions at a low price, I am happy, despite the extra cost! At the end of the day, what do you expect from a 5-10/month service if you are downloading 1Tb/month? A pat on the back? People need to get used to experiencing a slightly tougher marketplace and choose packages in accordance to their needs....

One of the key practises that I disagree with is bandwidth throttling, as with Virgin Media. You pay (for example) 20/month to them for their cable 20Mbps product and they cap you during peak hours. Whilst higher packages get higher amounts of bandwidth when restricted, I feel that such throttling goes clearly against what you pay on your bill.

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + Asus ac68
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post
      This is going to be a funny situation for sure. The non-ISPs, like the BBC, are happily launching their P2P content out on to the Internet and not paying a penny to do so - other than for their main pipe which they need in any event. And the poor old ISPs are supposed to pick up the tab for the transmission. Now that really is unfair. And so in lieu of anything else that they can do the ISPs are going to start setting and enforcing caps or, like Virgin Media, start performing aggressive traffic shaping based on usage.

Sky's packages, it has been said on this thread, are probably the fairest in the land right now, and have been since launch. They are very good value compared to anything else out there. The 40GB Mid and *Unlimited Max are extraordinary value when considering how much you are asked to pay (5 and 10). There is plenty of competition, but not at that price. With Sky sorting out the V1 router firmware and now upping service quality through their DLM program they are definitely upping their game, admittedly rather belatedly.

As NewsreadeR has said, there will always be those that will vote No, you can't please all of the people all of the time. But Sky's position as reported in this thread is entirely reasonable.
      Actually this is normal, the likes of youtube etc. dont pay isps to display their content they just pay for their own peering out to the internet. The people who pay isps to deliver content to homes is the customers of the isp. So if an isp hasnt got the money to pay for capacity to deliver bbc iplayer then they need to go over their figures again as they have marketed their products wrong. This whole idea where the bbc is supposed to apperently pay the isps to deliver its content is some recent negative propoganda as the isps are looking for a bailout.

sky shouldnt have this problem on its non BT packages as only on sky connect it has to pay the extorniate high traffic costs to BT.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast