Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky's pay-TV plan on hold again

This is a discussion on Sky's pay-TV plan on hold again within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Since when did this site become the a**e kissers of Sky? If Sky want to remove their channels from DTT ...

DJS Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky's pay-TV plan on hold again

Since when did this site become the a**e kissers of Sky? If Sky want to remove their channels from DTT let them. Frankly, they have a cheek expecting people to rush out and buy another new STB due to Sky wanting to change the broadcasting technology on DTT. Good on Ofcom I say.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Since when did this site become the a**e kissers of Sky?
      Was that by any chance aimed at me? I can assure you, we are not backside kissers, and that we do constantly upset Sky with our revelations and news stories. I believe that we upset them royally with the DLM thread here.

Personally, my comment was aimed at the fact we have just spent near on 600 for software and coding, and there is no sign of it happening. As for anyone else, I would assume, that they don't go around backside kissing either.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 19-05-08 at 06:49 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
      Since when did this site become the a**e kissers of Sky? If Sky want to remove their channels from DTT let them. Frankly, they have a cheek expecting people to rush out and buy another new STB due to Sky wanting to change the broadcasting technology on DTT. Good on Ofcom I say.
      I think the sun shines out of Mr Murdochs backside, but............

I have to agree, I cannot see how this will be popular enough, its something like 4 channels and I think they time share the space. I haven't heard anything about cost, but it would have to be cheap as chips in order to interest me.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I haven't heard anything about cost,
      From what I have heard, it is upto 25 per month for the TV channels, (not confirmed) and certainly, at that price would not interest me in the slightest.

I think Sky have now missed the boat on Picnic and tbh unless sorted out soonish, will be way behind the opposition. Just think of all the costs for keeping the staff on etc when they cannot launch it.

We have heard of a September launch for Picnic Broadband, of which the TV channels probably won't be launched.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
      Hmmm, I checked this forum's AUP again and couldn't see anything there that said we had to slag Sky off for anything and everything

I wonder if those people who actually want Sky but are not permitted satellite dishes would feel the same [as the above opinion] about OFCOM blocking Sky from using DTT. It isn't very democratic is it? OFCOM have not consulted with the public so have no real mandate to do this. And it is not exactly in the public's interests to limit any TV company from using DTT as well as satellite. After all, Sky, via the Astra satellites deliver BBC, ITV and very many other channels. So what is the biggie in not expecting/wanting DTT to reciprocate?

Yes, there is less bandwidth on DTT, but much of it is going to go unused anyway. The choice to buy Freeview without Sky continues regardless. It is only those who actually want Sky via DTT who will have to pay for the dedicated decoder. Everyone who does not want it can continue to buy their 19 decoder from Asda/Tesco/etc.

This is entirely about choice, or rather the lack of as imposed upon us by an unelected OFCOM.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

DJS Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Was that by any chance aimed at me? I can assure you, we are not backside kissers, and that we do constantly upset Sky with our revelations and news stories. I believe that we upset them royally with the DLM thread here.

Personally, my comment was aimed at the fact we have just spent near on 600 for software and coding, and there is no sign of it happening. As for anyone else, I would assume, that they don't go around backside kissing either.
      Nope, not aimed at you. There is an unnerving sentiment in this thread that is just a bit too pro Sky for Picnic when it is not really justified as we don't really know any prices yet.

DJS Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

For Netgeezer,

Sky do not broadcast BBC/ITV/Chan 4 or 5 via Astra, they act more like a gate keeper allowing/disallowing chanels onto their platform. DTT is not controlled by any one company, again, DTT is merely a platform. Sky's proposal would have seen ppl having to purchase yet another stb in order to get Picnic because Sky's longer term vision was to change the broadcasting technology.

I am not knocking Sky for fun, I have been a very loyal customer to them since their analogue service. If however, the price rises I hear coming in September happen then I'm definately off.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The whole point of Sky programming being delivered across DTT is to enable a segment of the British public that are currently unable to access that material. Sky's proprietary encoding is not being enforced upon anyone. If, and only if, someone wants Sky via DTT (should OFCOM ever come down off of its high horse) then they would have the opportunity to do so. They could care less about the encoding.

As it is, thanks to OFCOM, there is a segment of the British public that are being disadvantaged. I fail to see how that is in their, or the general British public's interests.

In consideration of any uplift of Sky's charges - again that is all a matter of personal choice - thankfully one of the few choices that we have left in this country of late. It is a business risk that Sky will have to consider in the face of (a) competition from VM and (b) their ability to absorb their own costs without passing these on to its customers. But TV is a complete unnecessary technology. Pay TV even more so. When it comes to the balance between putting food on the table and paying the extortionate fees to travel to/from work versus a few hours of TV each night I think that TV is the ultimate loser. I am absolutely certain that we could all exist quite happily with the five terrestrial channels [that we already pay for] and VM and Sky would not be missed for very long.
      Last edited by Netgeezer; 19-05-08 at 11:33 PM.
      [Albert Einstein]

Thanks
      Blog Entries

that is just a bit too pro Sky for Picnic when it is not really justified as we don't really know any prices yet.
      We have posted already what we know:

More news on Packages

We also believe that the Top Package, with the TV would be 25 per month, totally unconfirmed though.

Like I said before Sky are going to be struggling to gain market share though because of Ofcom (aka The Toothless Tiger)

Which brings me onto the Sky Player, how convenient is that? That it sounds just like iPlayer? The BBC have well and truly stitched that one up, the thing is though, apart from The Apprentice and Doctor Who, what have the BBC got that I want?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      ......... the thing is though, apart from The Apprentice and Doctor Who, what have the BBC got that I want?
      For me? Question Time (always nice to see the politicians get to hear first hand from Joe Public, even if they subsequently ignore us), some most excellent documentaries (the Beeb still have it, just), Drama (anyone remember what that is in these days of reality TV?) which the Beeb have always had the upper hand in.

By contrast there is very little programming on Sky delivery that I actually watch. Friday nights is absolutely dire - all three million channels and nothing to watch of interest
      [Albert Einstein]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast