Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky's pay-TV plan on hold again

This is a discussion on Sky's pay-TV plan on hold again within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Alan b I agree with you but then you have to ask - why is Sentanta and ...

Proppinupthebar is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: 2*Sky+, Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky's pay-TV plan on hold again

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      I agree with you but then you have to ask - why is Sentanta and the like on there ?
      Sky won't be using any more space than they currently already have. They are looking at H.264 for the encoding so its more channels in the same space.

Sky do make programming to make money, thats their business, and with advertising revenues falling its getting harder to make money.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

and with advertising revenues falling its getting harder to make money.
      Especially with all the Fish that they buy on a Friday And all those breakfasts they give away for those travelling to work on their bicycles.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Proppinupthebar View Post
      Sky won't be using any more space than they currently already have. They are looking at H.264 for the encoding so its more channels in the same space.
      I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Sky have seen that Sentanta are on there and that they must have had quite a few people subscribe during the football season. Sky have obviously seen this as a way to bring in extra money, hence their request to stick four of their channels on there. If in the end they do get turned down, what is to stop them complaining about Sentanta being on there are they are a pay channel.

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I think what it boils down to is that Sky have around 98% coverage in the UK via Sat Dish and therefore they're are very few people who can't get the service. Those who want Sky's pay TV channels are better off having Sky installed rather than using pay DTT. I doubt very much that there would be huge savings for someone who takes the DTT option as opposed to the satellite option and therefore I don't see any reason why they should be allowed to charge viewers to watch their channels on freeview. Setanta also has the same coverage and perhaps better as it's also available through Virgin as well as Sky. Therefore we have to ask should Setanta really be on there? Also as Sky will be using a different encoding format it goes against the standard which is used for Freeview meaning the service could become complicated and viewers will need Sky propriety hardware if they want the full service.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I'm not sure what Freeview stands for anymore.

Initially it was to bring high quality FTA digital signals into your home through a standard antenna. However greed soon took over and more and more channels were crammed into the available space resulting in some channels actually been better quality in analogue.

Only very few DTT channels are of fixed quality (BBC1 and ITV1 for example). Many 'share' the bandwidth and switch quality dynamically so that the channel showing lots of 'action' takes most whilst the more 'static' takes less. The problem is when they all want 'action' at the same instant and you get blocking of all the images. It's nothing to do with the users installation it's simply the system overload at the transmission end.

So the claim their is lots of space left on Freeview isn't quite right. Yes lots of space if you want ever decreasing image quality.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      The BBC1 and ITV being static bitrates is all down to the regionality of DTT. With enough money they could have done a stat mux for every region, but to save money they have stat muxed the national channels (BBC2England, BBC News24 etc) and then left enough space for the regional BBC1 etc to be inserted as a static bitrate.
      Stat muxing everything would have improved the overall picture quality but it cant be done here.
      Last edited by richone54; 19-05-08 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Sky have seen that Sentanta are on there and that they must have had quite a few people subscribe during the football season. Sky have obviously seen this as a way to bring in extra money, hence their request to stick four of their channels on there. If in the end they do get turned down, what is to stop them complaining about Sentanta being on there are they are a pay channel.
      Setanta are using TUTV's encryption system, an established system which Setanta bid for and won space on. Sky can't really grumble about that. Sky's existing DTT channels are not an a TUTV multiplex, so the only thing Sky can do is set up their own PAYTV system within their own bandwidth.

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Exactly! Nor will many other people if Sky get there way. People who don't use Sky's Freeview boxes will still see Sky's channels in the TV Guide. This essentially allows Sky to advertise directly to every Freeview user. What's to stop them using the kind of interactive promos that Top Up TV used to run? I just don't think the running of channels on Freeview that requires proprietary hardware (TUTV & Sky) to view is the best use of the space available.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why do some of you seem to believe that Sky should be giving away their programming that other people (on satellite dish) pay for? That just does not make any sense at all. Freeview is but one set of channels on DTT technology. A lot of the less budget-priced DTT boxes have slots to take PAYTV cards. Why would that be one wonders? Mayhap the design has from the beginning had intentions to carry some PAYTV channels. So why shouldn't these be Sky channels?

The [Picnic] fact is that subscribers will only be able to access Sky DTT channels using a specific Picnic "Freeview" receiver, obtainable from the high street shops we all know and hate/love.

So why all the angst against Sky for doing what any commercial business tries to do, which is to make money, grow, employ people, provide a service to those who want to pay for it. In doing so they are not taking anything at all away from the Freeview concept - except it really isn't "free" because we are all paying for it through out statutory licence fee - all of which goes to the BBC, none of which goes to ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5.

Consider this for a moment - lets say you all get your way and Sky is prohibited from using the airspace. What do you imagine will make good use of the space denied to Sky? How many "free" TV companies are there being denied service because of nasty old Sky trying to buy some of the available capacity?

Freeview is, in my opinion, another government con of the general British public, and very many have fallen for it. How "free" exactly is Freeview? The cheapest I can get it is around 29 from ASDA - and so cheap as it may be it is in no way "free". I do not recall having to buy anything additional to the TV that is currently in my lounge.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I agree with Netgeezer on this one. Freeview was born out of the ashes of ITV Digital, which failed because OFCOM would not allow Sky to be part of it, thus putting Sky and ITV digital on a collision course. When Sky began to give their sat kit away, the writing was on the wall for ITV Digital and the rest is history.
      It's clear that Ofcom were angry about this, as they could now see there plan to create an alternative to Sky had failed, They say that their only reason was to bring more choice for the viewer, but you cannot force people to watch BBC4 if all they want is Prem league football.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast