Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Want it now?

Voters
    123. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

88 71.54%
    • No

1 0.81%
    • I will wait for it

5 4.07%
    • Not bothered

7 5.69%
    • Use my own anyway

3 2.44%
    • I already have it

19 15.45%
    Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Stop Press - New FW - Stop Press

This is a discussion on Stop Press - New FW - Stop Press within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by James67 When my company has a software licensee who is screaming out for a bug fix, we'll ...

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Stop Press - New FW - Stop Press

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      When my company has a software licensee who is screaming out for a bug fix, we'll work evenings and weekends if we have to, to sort out their problem. We don't just down tools at 5.30pm on a Friday night.
      1) How would your company cope with 1.4 million licencees?
      2) Do you know that Sky "just down tools at 5.30pm" - how, then, do they get the updates out overnight. Is the impression that someone is sitting in front of a VDU selecting individual routers at random?

Reasonably, this is a huge logistical exercise that cannot be taken lightly, the risks are enormous and have to be mitigated. If that means taking an safe approach then that is entirely reasonable. To do otherwise could turn out to be reckless in the extreme.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

No sympathy for sky on this one. If it is a logistical nightmare for them, then it is of their own making. If they allowed users to use their own kit then many would have solved this problem for themselves, and the pressure would be off.

Topkidben is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thurnby - EMTHRNB
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I do not see why we cannot use our own router because i would happily go to a store and buy one than use Sky's. The one that Sky provided barely knows how to provide internet. It's like they have made us sign a year contract and given us a router that does not work so we have to sit there for a year.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post
      1) How would your company cope with 1.4 million licencees?
      2) Do you know that Sky "just down tools at 5.30pm" - how, then, do they get the updates out overnight. Is the impression that someone is sitting in front of a VDU selecting individual routers at random?
      Well, OK, to be fair to Sky, my company isn't ever in the position that Sky is in. In fact, our role is more like that of Netgear, licensing software to a single customer who is then responsible for rolling out bug fixes, etc., to large numbers of end-users. So maybe more of the criticism ought to be directed at Netgear. But when there is a problem, it's quite usual for a Friday night at the pub to be replaced by pizza and fizzy drinks at the office, and you can sure that at 2am on Saturday morning when a solution has been found, there's always someone there at our licensees' offices to take delivery of the bug fix.

Before last weekend, we were told that a flash image would be made available, hopefully on Friday. The fact that it didn't appear on Friday, Saturday or Sunday suggests that whoever was working on that has been taking a very long time to do something that should be fairly easy, or they hadn't finished it by Friday evening and so decided to leave it till Monday.

I know which of those two possibilities I think the more likely.

And like Brian has pointed out, this is a situation of Sky's making. It's all very well talking about the logistical problems of rolling out new firmware, but a risk assessment should have been made before Sky Broadband was launched, and solutions should have been found. That appears to be a recurring issue with Sky Broadband - no-one appears to have asked questions like "what happens if there's an issue dispatching routers to new customers?", "what happens if a router develops a fault after its warranty period has expired?", "what happens if our customised firmware is totally pants and we need to issue an update?" And whilst it's fair to say that it's impossible to predict every problem, some of the problems which Sky have faced seem, quite frankly, pretty damned obvious.

It was Sky that came up with the decision to force its customers to use a "locked" router. I'm sure whoever came up with that idea could see the advantages of that policy - it's easier to provide technical support, it means that customer can have simple "plug in and go" Internet access, it allows easier deployment of IPTV services, etc., etc. But did they consider the risks?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      No sympathy for sky on this one. If it is a logistical nightmare for them, then it is of their own making. If they allowed users to use their own kit then many would have solved this problem for themselves, and the pressure would be off.
      tbh Sky have allowed users to use their own, not one reported case of anyone been kicked off for doing so.

Maybe they know they were in the wrong and hence why they have not enforced the T and C's - However you are never going to hear them admit that.

We ain't got long to go now, I think......

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

VEG
      VEG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maesteg
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

I think the only reason "sky let" people use their own is so that it stemmed the flow of people claiming money back for a service they could not use

bulldog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNCSN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tbh i dont see why sky wont let people use netgears own firmware if it solves issues for them ?
      Or maybe i'm missing something ? anyway looking forward to trying the new firmware and hope it solves the problems.
      I must admit if not i will take my chance and go back to netgears
      Sky bb Max

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VEG View Post
      I think the only reason "sky let" people use their own is so that it stemmed the flow of people claiming money back for a service they could not use
      I tend to agree and have always argued that to people I speak to. Especially when we have been unofficially told we are doing a dis-service to our members for providing the tools for obtaining your username and password from the Sky routers.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

bulldog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNCSN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I tend to agree and have always argued that to people I speak to. Especially when we have been unofficially told we are doing a dis-service to our members for providing the tools for obtaining your username and password from the Sky routers.
      Tbh i tend to think sky know you have done them a favour really,because with out the help and support on here they would have seen alot of people walk.
      So from me all credit to you guys and people like mossywell james67 and people who have wrote tutorials ect because i would have walked long ago without them.

The reason i say i think sky must have realised is they would have done everything to get you shut down otherwise.
      Sky bb Max

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      tbh Sky have allowed users to use their own, not one reported case of anyone been kicked off for doing so.

Maybe they know they were in the wrong and hence why they have not enforced the T and C's - However you are never going to hear them admit that.

We ain't got long to go now, I think......
      I hear what you are saying Newsreader, but there is a world of differance between "turning a blind eye" and giving username and password.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast