Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!!

This is a discussion on Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!! within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by murdock And if your computer crashes as a direct result of the upgrade - will they send ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
      And if your computer crashes as a direct result of the upgrade -
      will they send you a new computer?
      How on earth can your computer crash as a result of this upgrade? The upgrade is initiated by the router, and the whole process of re-flashing the router is performed on the router itself. The only problem you'll have as far as PCs are concerned is that you'll lose Internet access for a couple of minutes.

2. Advertisement
      Luffer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hailsham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      One other issue that springs to mind is whether Netgear will be releasing a software kit for this new firmware.

The licence for much of the firmware (the GNU GPL) requires that the source code be released, and in the past Netgear have not only complied with the letter of that licence but the spirit as well, releasing a complete software kit which allows users to build modified firmware images. This makes it much easier to hack into the router, and I'm sure Sky will be aware of this.

I've checked on Netgear's FTP server and there's no software kit for the new firmware. Well, not yet.
      I understand the principles of the GNU GPL, but what happens if they don't release it? What are the potential ramifications for them? What can actually be done about it?

As you say, previously they've always complied, and there is no reason to think they won't continue to do so yet. But hypothetically?

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
      And if your computer crashes as a direct result of the upgrade -
      will they send you a new computer?
      In truth i do not know enough about computers to see how losing your internet connection while the router upgrades will affect your system

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luffer View Post
      I understand the principles of the GNU GPL, but what happens if they don't release it? What are the potential ramifications for them? What can actually be done about it?
      Probably very little. One manufacturer was successfully sued in a German court for breach of copyright. They paid the fine and just carried on as before, not releasing the source code.

I wouldn't be particularly surprised if Sky were to use strong-arm tactics with Netgear, something along the lines of, "release the software kit for the new firmware and we'll sue your backside off for all the problems the original firmware caused us."

Luffer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hailsham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Probably very little. One manufacturer was successfully sued in a German court for breach of copyright. They paid the fine and just carried on as before, not releasing the source code.

I wouldn't be particularly surprised if Sky were to use strong-arm tactics with Netgear, something along the lines of, "release the software kit for the new firmware and we'll sue your backside off for all the problems the original firmware caused us."
      Hmm, that would be unfortunate if that were the case. Perhaps companies should write their own software if they don't want other people to see it. If they are going to make profit off the back of other peoples hard work and good nature the least they can do is play by the rules. Courts should come down very hard on that sort of behaviour.

Still, there's no reason to think Sky would do that.....

maw
      maw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: canterbury
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hello im a bit new to all this just a quick question, sorry if ti seems a bit dumb. i've just connected to sky bb and was issued with the new black netgear but i needed to find my stats so swapped to the netgear DG834GT, which i already had, which i prefer to be honest . so to my question, since i dont have the sky firmware on the router when/if the update happens will my router also get the new firmware???? thanks and hope that makes sense.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

since i dont have the sky firmware on the router when/if the update happens will my router also get the new firmware????
      Without running the Sky FW I cannot really see how you would receive the update, as the Sky FW dials home to check if there is one. If that makes sense.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maw View Post
      hello im a bit new to all this just a quick question, sorry if ti seems a bit dumb. i've just connected to sky bb and was issued with the new black netgear but i needed to find my stats so swapped to the netgear DG834GT, which i already had, which i prefer to be honest . so to my question, since i dont have the sky firmware on the router when/if the update happens will my router also get the new firmware???? thanks and hope that makes sense.
      search for the Sky FW on the internet there is a link to it, get it and just flash your router.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You can't really put the Sky DG834GT firmware onto an off-the-shelf Netgear DG834GT router. For one thing, you'd have to force the firmware onto it using the Netgear Recovery Utility, and secondly, if you reset the router to defaults, it would set the connection username and password incorrectly.

And in any case, the router wouldn't pick up the firmware upgrade anyway because the upgrade app on the router gives its MAC address to the upgrade server which in turn will only hand out the updated firmware to routers whose MAC addresses are on the list of routers to be upgraded, and an off-the-shelf DG834GT won't be on that list.

maw
      maw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: canterbury
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for the quick replies , i hada look for the'sky firmware' but no joy do you have a version name or something and also would i have to follow the instructions here ---> Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! Flashing your router firmware

Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast