Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!!

This is a discussion on Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!! within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Does anyone know if EAKLN (King's Lynn) is updating yet? I am not asking for myself....

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!!

Does anyone know if EAKLN (King's Lynn) is updating yet? I am not asking for myself.

2. Advertisement
      heatherw_01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Elland (MYELL)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I have left mine on every night for ages now and still no update

Mine is the Elland exchange

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tonytronic View Post
      One (primary) reason for this upgrade is that, for some people, the original Sky router 'dies'/locks-up when Noise Margin dB drops and it cannot recover except through a reset or power cycle.
      Given this failure mode (and I believe is acknowledged by Sky as a known problem?), it is unreasonable to expect these particular customers to maintain a 24hr connection in the hope that a firmware download will be successful.
      To be frank, of all the ways one might choose to fix such a problem, doing it by downloading it - via the very connection that keeps failing! - must rank as downright STUPID. This method invites failure because of the very nature of the problem, most likely before the download can occur, or worse still, during the actual download process itself.

The only practical solution for those Sky customers with this particular problem is to provide the necessary firmware update via a Sky web page, or on a CD, in any case requestable only by known Sky customers via a Sky web page, so that it can be performed locally, and therefore not dependent upon an unreliable internet connection. This is the only way to ensure the update is truly 'available' to these particular Sky customers.

As far as I am concerned, until Sky choose to provide this alternative update option then regardless of any condition in their 'contract', I believe that it is 'reasonable' to provide one's own router to support the Internet Service that one has paid for, on the basis that the router they have provided is faulty (i.e. has faulty firmware) and no reasonable method has been provided to enable correction of the fault.

To illustrate this, when I swapped in the old Sky router today it locked up after just 1 hour of use. I had to cycle its power to restore the internet connection. I believe it locked up due to the noise margin dropping from 7.0db to 5.6db, as is usual around 8:30pm here. By contrast, my own router (Netgear DG834N) has NEVER dropped out in this way, like 5 months without a single drop-out is typical (and it was a power cut that stopped it after 5 months).

Come on Sky. If you REALLY give a blind **** about this, you have GOT to provide a good workable solution for ALL customers, including those like me who suffer with this particular fault.
      And while we're at it, it would also help your cause greatly if you actually bothered to TALK to any of us when you intend to do anything like this! No, not just through SkyUser forums - I mean directly. Is that really asking too much???
      And save the trees - an email in our Sky email accounts would be wonderful. And dont forget to include a link to the webpage with the firmware update!

Tonytronic.
      Hi,

Yes the routers dont seem to hold the connection very well. But when it looses connection in the evening the router tends to sync at a lower speed. This then causes the SNR to rise to about 9-10DB. This can allow the router to hold connection for alot long. But at the expense of a slower connection. So yes the router can be expected to hold connection throughout the night, and download the FW.

Tonytronic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMBPZ
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monday View Post
      Hi,

Yes the routers dont seem to hold the connection very well. But when it looses connection in the evening the router tends to sync at a lower speed. This then causes the SNR to rise to about 9-10DB. This can allow the router to hold connection for alot long. But at the expense of a slower connection. So yes the router can be expected to hold connection throughout the night, and download the FW.
      When you say "But when it looses connection in the evening the router tends to sync at a lower speed." this implies that the router somehow re-establishes the connection automatically, but at a lower speed, without any intervention.
      Unfortunately when this fault occurs the router is thereafter forever LOCKED-UP, DEAD. It doesn't 'do' a damned thing thereafter... until someone, or something, RESETS it.
      In practice, this means cycling the power to the router.
      The nearest you can get to arranging "automatic" recovery from this fault state is by employing the Mossywell tool, which works by... performing a RESET!
      However, you must NOT perform such a reset if it happens to be downloading the new firmware at the time, so you dare not use the Mossywell tool, as it would probably time out and generate a reset part-way through the download. The router could be scrapped by doing this.

That leaves manually resetting by cycling the power every time it stops working... or is it because it's downloading?
      Guess the answer wrong and you could end up scrapping the router permanently, as above.

"Ah, but the download is timed to occur in the night, around 3:00am, so it won't be affected by this problem.", you may say.
      Yes, it's certainly less likely than at other times" I reply.

But first it has to stay 'alive' from when I last start it connecting, say 9:00pm, until at least 6:00am the next morning.
      I can assure you, it would be most unusual for my router to survive that long without needing at least one reset!
      And I'm not prepared to sit up half the night, nursing a sick router until it gets better! Besides, if I'm seriously unlucky, it may decide to 'die' part-way through the download and scrap itself...
      As I said, the option to reprogram the router off-line is the best solution for those with this level of problem.

Tonytronic.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

If its really THAT bad use Mognuts and set the traget SNR to like 10 at night.

Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

Although getting the FW really depends on if the router bothers to check.

kanwar786 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: High Wycombe
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ive got the firmware upgrade now too. In High wycombe.

How come the mognuts utility don't work anymore? will a new one be released?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

because sky have blocked out URL injections.

and you dont need to anyway.

Topkidben is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thurnby - EMTHRNB
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey well i got my router updated last nigt i think Thurnby EMTHRNB. But funny thing is that the router was off. Well i was on my laptop last night at about 10:15pm and im sure i had the V1.02.28 as the internet never disconnected to make an update. Then my dad turned the router (he does at night when he goes bed). Then in the morning i got up turned the router took me about 2 minutes to get my laptop on, and got to the router page and it said V1.03.87. So does this mean that the update can happen even if the router is switched off?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

"does this mean that the update can happen even if the router is switched off?"

no not really the router probally did update it self some were along that timeline.

Topkidben is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thurnby - EMTHRNB
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh ok thanks for quick reply

Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast