Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!!

This is a discussion on Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!! within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Netgeezer I think the stories of the problems people have had with Phase 1 are legend. It ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post
      I think the stories of the problems people have had with Phase 1 are legend. It is just that it makes me chuckle quietly to see this frenzy on here, and elsewhere, about getting the new firmware right now, this very minute, and not a moment longer.
      Just because you and your mates who have Sky Broadband are lucky enough not to experience problems, it doesn't mean that it's like that for all of Sky Broadband's customers. There are customers who have had to put up with real problems, and it's quite understandable why they would be keen to get the firmware update sooner rather than later. I can't really understand why you find that so funny.

2. Advertisement
      Zico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury (NDCAN)
      Broadband ISP: VFast.co.uk
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I'm sure Sky know what they are doing. They've had the practice with upgrading Sky boxes remotely so should have some idea how they want to go about upgrading the DSL routers.
      Last edited by Zico; 27-03-08 at 10:58 PM.

TinManOne is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darton, South Yorkshire
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Netgeezer View Post
      I
      For an ISP to do any different with the sheer scale that Sky face would be incompetent.

Gee whizz - and they've been so brilliant about everything else they've introduced!!

TMO

Luffer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hailsham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Would there theoretically be a way for someone who has the new firmware to get a copy off their router and make it available for others? Or for them to trick the server into thinking the router hasn't been upgraded and provide another copy?

Presumably Sky won't know if you upgrade early, and when they do send the update. The router won't see a new version so will just continue as normal.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It can be done.

When I was first attempting to crack the Sagem router, I came up with a modified firmware image which would allow the ADSL password to be captured. The problem with that was that my modified version of the firmware was based on the older 1.1sky firmware that was supplied on the CD-ROM (presumably the CD had been RTM'd before the final version of the firmware, version 1.5sky, had been completed). As a result, once someone had got their ADSL password out, they'd never be able to get the router back to its former state.

To resolve this, I got hold of a Sagem router that still had the original 1.5sky firmware on it. I then wired the router's console port up and connected it to my PC's serial port through a level converter. I was then able to put a small program onto the router (cross-compiled on the PC) which dumped the whole contents of the flash memory to the console, which I then duly saved on the PC. After separating the various regions of flash memory out, I was able to recreate a 1.5sky firmware image.

The same technique could be used to get the new DG834GT flash image, although it does need a soldering iron and a level converter which I'm guessing most people wouldn't have.

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Thanks

I reflashed my Netgear V1 back to the Sky firmware but it will not connect to the network, it syncs to the exchange though.

I have noticed the VPI is 8 and not 0 and that the VCI is 35 and not 38, the default username/password is also admin/password instead of admin/sky

I can't amend these figures, I'm sure I carried out a reset of the router as well.

Any help appreciated...

RTP
      RTP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Turgis Green
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

On my box with V1.0.28 my VPI is 0 and my VCI is 38. No idea whether they can be set through the interface though.

Did you change prior to flashing the firmware? It maybe worth reflashing to non-Sky, altering, then flashing again back to Sky.

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Thanks

I hadn't changed any of those settings, there was no need too. I will give that a check when I get home but I would have thought flashing the router would wipe all settings, clearly this may not be the case. Thanks for your input though, much appreciated.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

All is explained here.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max VIP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD VIP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
      Why would you need mossywells if you had no problems ? i was using netgears own and did'nt have one drop out went back to skys firmware today and guess what.
      I dont see skys logic on the way its being rolled out tbh it cant be that big and uploading it for people to download would have made more sence aswell, people would have done it when they had the time.
      Alot of game updates come that way and they do it late at night, yes alot of people will stay up to download them but it all evens it self out.
      Other people just download it in there own time when they get time, its sky playing big brother with the frmware again.

How long have you had it ? no disrect to you russ was you a beta tester? if so it dont make sence for sky to give it to a person that had no problems tbh

PS can you tell us how big the upgrade is so we can see what strain that would put on a server
      Never said i 'needed' mossywells, i used it to get the info from the router without having to type in 192.168.0.1 ( call me lazy ). With respect to sky giving the firmware to someone who had no problems......everyone will get it automatically wether you have had problems or not with it so it makes perfect sence! ( big brother? hardly! )
      Not exactly sure how long i`ve had the update but i did notice mossywell's stopped working a few weeks back but just thought probably a microsoft update screwed it up and not noting down exactly what the firmware version was originally it didn't twig till recently.
      Beta tester no, although our name was down for it before they rolled sky internet originally so you should know what type of account i have without me even saying it now.

here's a cap of the version number >
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 28-03-08 at 05:54 PM. Reason: added screencap / fixed quote tag
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast