Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!!

This is a discussion on Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!! within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; There has to be another way James. How else would they be able to trigger off the update on an ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Phase 1 Firmware upgrade confirmed!!!!

There has to be another way James.

How else would they be able to trigger off the update on an exchange by exchange basis. If they are only going to do exchange A for example tonight, then you would expect all V1 routers connected to exchange A to receive that update tonight. Not up to 3 days afterwards, by which time they have then instigated exchange B and C as well.

It must call it via a mass kick off or some other command, possibly by MAC address?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      bulldog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNCSN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I never leave my router on over night thats down to the fact the heat it generates, a poster alread said ask a fireman.
      My dad was in the fire service for many years and it was drummed in my head to unplug sockets before bed ect.
      Ive heard some right horror stories about tvs on stand by, sockets over heating ect,so with 4 kids in the house im not willing to take the chance tbh.
      So my question is if sky are only going to do this off peak times how the hell am i going to get the upgrade?
      Surley they should have just uploaded it to servers aswell so you have the option to download it ?
      Last edited by bulldog; 27-03-08 at 07:10 PM.
      Sky bb Max

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max VIP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD VIP
      Thanks

Had firmware version 1.03.87 for a while now, no problems on the old version and certainly no probems for us on the new one, except havent been able to use 'mossywell', now i know why after reading the previous posts.
      Have spotted that a couple of times our noise has dropped well down but havent seen any lag/slowdown or been disconnected from the net.
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
      Had firmware version 1.03.87 for a while now, no problems on the old version and certainly no probems for us on the new one, except havent been able to use 'mossywell', now i know why after reading the previous posts.
      Have spotted that a couple of times our noise has dropped well down but havent seen any lag/slowdown or been disconnected from the net.

Why would you need mossywells if you had no problems ? i was using netgears own and did'nt have one drop out went back to skys firmware today and guess what.
      I dont see skys logic on the way its being rolled out tbh it cant be that big and uploading it for people to download would have made more sence aswell, people would have done it when they had the time.
      Alot of game updates come that way and they do it late at night, yes alot of people will stay up to download them but it all evens it self out.
      Other people just download it in there own time when they get time, its sky playing big brother with the frmware again.

How long have you had it ? no disrect to you russ was you a beta tester? if so it dont make sence for sky to give it to a person that had no problems tbh

PS can you tell us how big the upgrade is so we can see what strain that would put on a server
      Last edited by bulldog; 27-03-08 at 08:07 PM.
      Sky bb Max

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'm not guaranteeing that I've got this right, but I have investigated how the update program on the router works, and I'm 95% certain that I understand how it works.

When the router starts up, it checks to see when it last checked for an update from the update server at dg834gt.skyfirmware.com. If there is no record of the router ever having checked for an update, or if the last check was more than 3 days ago, it will immediately do its standard check for an update, regardless of what time it is.

The standard check involves making 3 attempts to connect to the update server, spaced at random intervals of between 1 and 10 minutes. Each attempt passes the router's MAC address and current firmware version to the server, so the server can selectively decide to allow the new firmware to be download or not, according to how Sky want the firmware update to be rolled out.

If the standard check fails to find new firmware, it will (in effect) schedule another check in three days' time, in the early hours of the morning. It'll still do that check, even if you reboot the router in the mean time, because it stores the time and date of the last check in NVRAM.

Now if you always switch your router off at night, on the fourth day when you switch the router on, it will see that it hasn't checked for a firmware update for more than three days, and so it will do an immediate check.

So even the people who switch their router off at night, and indeed people who are away on holiday will eventually get the firmware update.

Now I would guess that the staged roll-out is being done not by forcing routers to take an update on the one night (because that would be no good at all for people who switch their router off at night, and in any case, I can't see how it could be done anyway), but rather by the updated firmware being made available to customers on one or more exchanges at a time. But once it's made available to those customers, it remains available to them.

So if on night 1, the new firmware is made available to people on exchange A, only a third of those people will actually get the update that night. On night 2, the update is made available to people on exchange B, and so on. By day 4, pretty much everyone on exchange A will have got their update, about two-thirds of the people on exchange B will have it, and about a third of those on exchange C will have it. By the time you get to day 7, pretty much everyone on exchanges A, B, C and D will have got the update, but when Mr Foobar on exchange A gets back from his fortnight-long holiday and switches on his router, he'll get an immediate update because his router will be able to see that it hasn't checked for an update for 14 days.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Seems to explain alot but i think it still has the potential to bottle kneck, i guess we will see
      I'm still waiting to see if anyone else has this ive seen a couple of post thats it.
      Btw is that finger mouse on your avatar
      Last edited by Saturday; 27-03-08 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Don't quote the whole of the preceding post!
      Sky bb Max

Thanks
      Blog Entries

So if on night 1, the new firmware is made available to people on exchange A, only a third of those people will actually get the update that night. On night 2, the update is made available to people on exchange B, and so on. By day 4, pretty much everyone on exchange A will have got their update, about two-thirds of the people on exchange B will have it, and about a third of those on exchange C will have it. By the time you get to day 7, pretty much everyone on exchanges A, B, C and D will have got the update, but when Mr Foobar on exchange A gets back from his fortnight-long holiday and switches on his router, he'll get an immediate update because his router will be able to see that it hasn't checked for an update for 14 days.
      I don't agree with this theory. If Exchange A is initiated today, any routers that are on and connected to the DSLAMs will get the new FW initiated. Tomorrow Exchange B will re released and so on.

Sky obviously have a mechanism built into the exchanges or the router to instigate the upgrade. Otherwise they just would have no control over who gets it and on what night.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

^^or sky are allowing to update to be rolled during all hours of the day. Hence routers getting FW when they check for it?

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Maybe they will do it via batches of IP address its anyones guess really.
      -

Clothes may disguise a fool, but his voice will give him away...

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Had firmware version 1.03.87 for a while now
      Is that the definite number? Others have reported 1.02.87

Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast