Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky soon to be offering Telephone Line Installations

This is a discussion on Sky soon to be offering Telephone Line Installations within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Anything to get rid of BT is a good thing. Bunch of Barstewards......

naebad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01355
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky soon to be offering Telephone Line Installations

Anything to get rid of BT is a good thing. Bunch of Barstewards...

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Personally, I think it's more a case of out of the frying pan into the fire. All the engineering work is done by BT but with Sky as their customer rather than you directly. It means if you have a problem you have to phone up Sky on their 5p per minute number rather than BT's free number, you're speaking to the monkey rather than the organ grinder, and the work gets done by a BT engineer anyway.

And to add to all of that, you're forced to use Sky as your call carrier which although a bit cheaper than BT, is nowhere near the cheapest carrier.

Where's the sense in that?

DJS Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Unless Sky are offering more incentive to go with their line there really is no point in moving across. What if you cancelled your subscription to their Digital TV platform? Would you be able to keep your line with them?

skycaptain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingsland Green
      Broadband ISP: o2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky have done value broadband for their satellite customers, so why not value phone line? there is no point switching a provider just to save a pound a month on line rental however if sky were to do a 'mid package' for phone lines with rental costing only a fiver i'm in!

if sky can afford to offer sky talk for a fiver or for free bundled with broadband then they could do the same for line rental.

bbb_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For the record there is no difference in telephone line installation costs between Sky and BT. The only difference would be line rental charges are 50 pence cheaper per month (assuming you opt for online billing with BT).

Personally, for 50p cheaper per month I dont think its worth the hassle. Right now with having BT as the line provider means:
      1. freephone for c/s and probs.
      2. The option of changing call providers within the standard two weeks without charge and in most cases any minimum term contract.
      3. Able to use multiple call providers (depending on other provider chosen) as well as BT to ensure cheapest possible value for money. For example, with 18185 i can make calls to mobiles for 6p/min (daytime) compared to prob double that with SkyTalk and/or BT, etc whilst still using SkyTalk for calls to geographical numbers.

Now with having Sky as line rental provider means:
      1. 50p cheaper line rental per month
      2. Cancelling Sky TV would mean being without a line and ability to receive/make calls
      3. A new minimum term contract and possibly installation charge for connecting back to BT from Sky because u have line rental with Sky. This wouldn't happen when just using Sky for your calls only.
      4. Paying Sky's rates for all calls even if other providers maybe cheaper (and are in some cases depending on type of call, etc)

Some forum members have reported that it's 1 cheaper line rental compared with BT but in reality it's possible to get BT line rental for 10.50 per month.

bbb_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
      Sky have done value broadband for their satellite customers, so why not value phone line? there is no point switching a provider just to save a pound a month on line rental however if sky were to do a 'mid package' for phone lines with rental costing only a fiver i'm in!

if sky can afford to offer sky talk for a fiver or for free bundled with broadband then they could do the same for line rental.
      It's not possible because I believe Sky pay BT wholesale/open reach (or whatever they're called) not much less than than 10 to BT wholesale/open reach for rental of the line.

This is why very few providers offer the ability to have linerental with them rather than BT as there is no real incentive to the end customer apart from saving a few pence per month.

Basically, all that happens is that you would pay 10 to Sky who would pay most of that 10 to BT wholesale/open reach and Sky would pocket very little unlike with calls.

Ofcom are really to blame for this because they have looked into this and said BT's wholesale prices for linerental are fair!!!!!

alex-k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peterborough Central
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

good idea maybe will repair my line
      I speak Russian / English / Lithuanian

blade is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well for sure anyone here ask sky this question if i get my line installed by bt is it correct this gets refunded to me and put onto my sky account all i got to do is request for a claim forum to be sent out and send the install charges to sky.

Funny i should be saying that if sky are offering the install back as sky say well we want you to join sky so if you get your bt line installed we will pay that back to you.

So does that mean if a new customer is coming to sky and wants to take everything out does that mean sky will install the phone line for free as there getting new custom.

I would assume that there will be some sort of deal going on soon or later when it gets put into circulation for new line installs. :P

Hazzo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191581
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This has been in place at least a month, I've changed over from talk talk, who had my LR over the last year, my main reasons were to have only the one bill for my comms services, though there was no info I could find on the net we phoned sky and the switchover went without a hitch, broadband/LR/talk n tv for 60 a month, a deal as far as I'm concerned. H

DJS Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Yes, but you are always tied to Sky. What happens when their subs get too high (a poin they are nearing in my opinion) and you cancel? No line or BB. Sorry, but it's not worth the hassle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast